Need suggestions on Ab workouts (Read 650 times)

Hi all - sometimes when I am at work at night (only because I work alone), I will do some strength training. Since I work in a lab, I obviously can't lay on the floor (ew!) so I was wondering if anyone can help me think of some ab workouts I would be able to do while standing or sitting. In addition, for some very unfunny reason, God has blessed me with a "pooch" right above my belly button, kind of like the pooch women will have BELOW their belly button after they have had children. Only, I have never had kids and mine is on the top. Follow? Does anyone know any really good exercises to specifically target this area? I am desperately trying to get in that bikini for my Maui vacation in May - HELP!!
    db7

Get a little work out mat that you can roll up and keep at work. I do a combo sit up. As you do the normal sit up, pull your knees up to your chest. Keep your arms out straight. Best ab workout I have ever done. Have fun in Maui. I will be there in April. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Slow-smooth-fast

go onto youtube.com and type in abs vacuum.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

runner's world this month has a section on what the top american runners do every day at their training center. Not sure how much of it helps if you can't actually get on the floor.
            Was also going to suggest the recent RW issue. You can hold weights in each hand and do side bends. Doesn't specifically work the area you're concerned with, but should hit the obliques. Anything you can hang from and do knee lifts?

SMART Approach

If your work will allow you to have a Swiss Balance ball at work, that would be great to do crunches on without having to go on floor. Also, while standing or sitting, Take big breath and while slowly exhaling, focus on your gut pushing it in and up and when no more air to blow out, hold as long as possible. Repeat many times or when you think of it. This works transverse abdominus, and will help hold your gut in at rest. Also, great to do while lying down. This muscle doesn't get worked with traditional ab work. Also, whenever possible just hold your gut in. Do this every waking hour. Posture is everything and can make you appear much thinner. Now, the bad new. You cannot spot train. You need to eat better and/or exercise more to burn off the fat. The exercises do improve posture and look of abdominal area but won't do much to burn the fat.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

UpNorth

double-post...
                UpNorth

Sit in a chair with arms, place your hands on the arms and lift yourself off the chair and do an L-sit with your legs straight out. That's the best I can come up with... BTW, working your abs will not get rid of your belly. You can't spot reduce fat deposits, but on the positive side a solid diet and running will certainly take care of it faster than any number of crunches.
                    Well ok, thanks guys. A swiss ball wont be coming to work with me so i guess i will just stick to working my other body parts while getting paid for it (hahh!) and just do my abs at home. I am seriously tempted to look into lipo or something just on that bad spot, cant be that much right? but i'll be that one that kicks the bucket while under anethesia, my luck!
                      Just my two cents, but I've found losing 5-10 pounds more effective at removing my belly fat then any ab exercises. In fact, I haven't done any ab exercises to speak of and my belly is disappearing. You have 4 months. More than enough time to safely lose 5-10 pounds.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?