Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 397 times)

SteveChCh


Hot Weather Complainer

    Mark, Keen - Yep I agree with Mark.  It never made sense for the South Island to be at Level 4, should have been level 2 from day 1.  You can't lockdown people when there are no confirmed cases just to be safe.  Otherwise we'd all be at level 4 all the time.  There's just too many detrimental side-effects of lockdowns, races being one of them albeit some way down the order of importance.

    PB:  Christchurch 2016 1:29.25

    Recent Races:    Queenstown Half-Marathon (trail) November 21, 2020 1:35.11 Cherry Blossom Half-Marathon, September 13, 2020 1:33:38 Half-Marathon Time Trial May 31, 2020 1:31.51  

    Race plan:  Selwyn Running Festival Half-Marathon November 7 (Target: PR), Queenstown Half-Marathon November 20 (Target: Queenstown PR), Christchurch Marathon April 10, 2022 (Target: Sub 3:20 and no cancellation)

      Keen huge Week for you hope you enjoyed the weekend at the inlaws

      Zebano Great Job on the race excellent execution, Great Race Report too.

      Sounds like there have been no major side effect from the shots. hope everyone is still doing well.

       

      I snuck in an extra run on Monday due to the holiday so I hope this week will be a bit heavier than my usual 20 

      PR's

      1m  5:38 (2018)

      5k    19:59 (2019)

      HM  1:33:56 (2018)

      FM  3:23:07 (2018)

      zebano


        CFarr doubling at 20mpw is a bold strategy! Lets see if it pays off for you.

         

         

        I'm racing again this weekend and trying to decide on a goal. the 59:59 that I have posted on page 1 is absurd as it turns out it is much closer to a  legit 15k than I thought (the loop is 8.5-8.6 miles but they add on a bit at the end and beginning).

         

        The Strava segment worries me a little as some of those people in the top 10 are faster than me but ran slower than I expect to run (possibly due to heat, a bad year or possibly doing the 30k or 45k race). This segment is also defunct as part of the course got rerouted around a field.

         

        Depending on whose watch you believe there is between 450 feet and 1100 feet of elevation gain in the race. My watch usually reports about 80-90 feet per mile. That said, it's also almost all grass and dirt, with minimal roots, stones or other technical running. There are a couple of extremely steep hills both up and down but nothing that will cause me to walk.

         

        I raced 90% of this last December, solo running 7:25/mile for a 1:03:53 for the 8.6 mile loop. Ultimately I think my A-goal is simply to run that time over the full 15k which would be 7:05 / mile. B-goal will simply be to run faster than 7:25/mile.

        1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

        flavio1980


        Intl. correspondent

          Steve - Fun fact: In Brazil everybody not only took a selfie, but had a relative/friend go together and film it.

          The main reason is that there was a huge amount of cases where the nurse just didn’t inject the contents of the syringe in the arm of the person.

          So that they could save those shots for relatives or sell them on the black market.

          For the record I didn’t take any selfie.

           

          Zeb - Once again awesome job at the 10k and you have super human recoverability, holy moly! Thanks for the race report and yeah absolutely the next 10k will likely be faster.

          You might wanna hold off on that though as you’re running 3 races in 2 weeks, quite a lot.

           

          Keen - a 10k at 24C, that will be hard. I reckon you will have to adjust the pace by maybe 20-30s per mile.

          PRs: 1500 4:51 2019 - 5K 17:56 2021 HM 1:21:59 2021

          Up next: Rest and recover

          Tool to generate Strava weekly

          watsonc123


            OK, so Brazil may well come up with the next highly contagious variant...

             

            And I have a race on Saturday.  Our club Road Champs which is roughly 7.4km.  I will not have a time aim given the last two months bad training including injuries.

            PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

             

            40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018)

            CommanderKeen


            Aspiring Hobby Jogger

              Zebano - My legs are feeling just fine, thank you - glad to hear your hamstring is feeling better as well.

              I partially attribute lack of soreness after big weeks/workouts to eating a ton of protein (relatively speaking) which helps with muscle repair.

              The biggest "plus" with the forecasted race weather is that I'm far more acclimated to it than I was to the 61F/16.1C I ran my last HM in - and that HM time from mid-March points very nearly to a PR time in and of itself. This will be interesting either way.
              Strong workout this morning!

               

              Watson - Best of luck this weekend.

              5k: 18:24 5/21 (solo track TT) │ 10k: 38:29 9/21 │ HM: 1:24:16 11/19 │ M: 3:04:13 11/18

               

              Upcoming Races:

               

              10/17 - Hot Chocolate 15k (pacing)

              11/13 - Holiday Hustle 10k

              11/24 - OKC Turkey Tracks 5k

              12/4 - Tucson Marathon?

              12/5 - California International Marathon

                Zebano I don't think I be doubling up my 20 lol I think I'd break something good luck in your race this weekend

                Watson good luck to you as well.

                 

                for the record I didn't take a "selfie" when I got my shot...My wife took my picture 

                PR's

                1m  5:38 (2018)

                5k    19:59 (2019)

                HM  1:33:56 (2018)

                FM  3:23:07 (2018)

                  People who take selfies of their vaccination and post on social media are dickheads 😃

                  50+ PBs -  

                  5k 18.21 Hagley Parkrun  July 21      82.27 % age grade

                  10k TT 37.21 may 2nd 2021 strava run 82.51 % age grade

                  Half marathon  1.23.30 may 21 80.11 % age grade

                  " If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

                  Somewhere in between is about right "      

                   

                  watsonc123


                    I might skip Saturday's race.  Given my recent training, there's a 1% chance of a good race, 80% chance of a mediocre/poor race and a 19% chance of re-injuring.

                    PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

                     

                    40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018)

                    Marky_Mark_17


                      I might skip Saturday's race.  Given my recent training, there's a 1% chance of a good race, 80% chance of a mediocre/poor race and a 19% chance of re-injuring.

                       

                      I'd say that would be wise given the recent injury niggles and your lack of preparation due to having some light weeks while you were managing those issues.  It seems like there is probably more downside than upside from running it at this point, unless you were to just cruise it, and also because 7.4km is a very weird distance for a race.

                      5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20) | 10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) 

                      HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

                      * Net downhill course

                      Last race: Meridian Hydro Half Marathon (trail), 7 Aug, 1:19:44 (2nd)

                      Up next: Omaha Half Marathon, 12 Dec (COVID-permitting)

                      "CONSISTENCY IS KING"

                      JMac11


                      Milkman

                        At first I thought that was a weird tan line on your son's arm, and couldn't figure out what sport would cause that. Maybe a lobster fisherman who only wears gloves and not a shirt?

                         

                        People who take selfies of their vaccination and post on social media are dickheads 😃

                        5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

                         

                        Next Race: Suffolk County Half (10/24)

                          Just a shadow Jmac 

                           

                          Watson its great that you are enthusiastic to race but yes I agree it's too soon for you.

                          50+ PBs -  

                          5k 18.21 Hagley Parkrun  July 21      82.27 % age grade

                          10k TT 37.21 may 2nd 2021 strava run 82.51 % age grade

                          Half marathon  1.23.30 may 21 80.11 % age grade

                          " If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

                          Somewhere in between is about right "      

                           

                          Running Problem


                          Problem Child

                            OK, so Brazil may well come up with the next highly contagious variant...

                             

                             

                            It isn’t just Brazil.

                            https://www.kolotv.com/2021/09/09/covid-19-eight-cases-mu-variant-sequenced-washoe-county/
                            Washoe county (Reno, Nevada) has about a 17% positivity rate right now...

                            Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

                            VDOT 51

                            5k19:35 | Marathon 2:59:10

                            SteveChCh


                            Hot Weather Complainer

                              RP - the fear porn continues.

                               

                              Wellington have said they will cancel on October 5 if still at level 2. That’s good news, they’re waiting as long as possible. Without a new case outside Auckland I think we’re all go

                              PB:  Christchurch 2016 1:29.25

                              Recent Races:    Queenstown Half-Marathon (trail) November 21, 2020 1:35.11 Cherry Blossom Half-Marathon, September 13, 2020 1:33:38 Half-Marathon Time Trial May 31, 2020 1:31.51  

                              Race plan:  Selwyn Running Festival Half-Marathon November 7 (Target: PR), Queenstown Half-Marathon November 20 (Target: Queenstown PR), Christchurch Marathon April 10, 2022 (Target: Sub 3:20 and no cancellation)

                              Marky_Mark_17


                                RP - the fear porn continues.

                                 

                                Wellington have said they will cancel on October 5 if still at level 2. That’s good news, they’re waiting as long as possible. Without a new case outside Auckland I think we’re all go

                                 

                                Seems like they're not going to move the rest of the country to level 1 until Auckland is out of level 4.  But the numbers seem to be tracking in the right direction, so I think there is a reasonable chance that, if not next week, we should be at level 3 within 2 weeks.  That would pave the way for Wellington to happen.

                                5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20) | 10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) 

                                HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

                                * Net downhill course

                                Last race: Meridian Hydro Half Marathon (trail), 7 Aug, 1:19:44 (2nd)

                                Up next: Omaha Half Marathon, 12 Dec (COVID-permitting)

                                "CONSISTENCY IS KING"