Another shoe question (and sock) (Read 112 times)

Arnoldziffel

To be an honest a Good Person, if you go to your LRS and they help you decide on shoes, you should buy that pair THERE. If they work out well, you can buy subsequent pairs online.

I totally agree.   I went to a running shoe store to get their expert opinion, and willingly paid bust out retail for that pair of shoes.  That was 2013.  All pairs since then have been purchased either on-line or at local outlet store.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Half Crazy K 2.0

To be an honest a Good Person, if you go to your LRS and they help you decide on shoes, you should buy that pair THERE. If they work out well, you can buy subsequent pairs online.

Definitely this, although I do not feel guilty going into my local big box store, trying things on & not buying. Sometimes their prices are better & I may buy. But there is no individualized service in these stores like a LRS. Often I don't get to the try on part because the big box stores have a belief that no shoe companies make a women's 10.5.

Gizmo2019

Here’s what happened.

i ended up going to my local retailer/small business, and purchased from them. I bought another brooks but the adrenaline this time. I tried a Saucony Guide and he said the hurricane was a step up. He said the lower the number for the heel to toe drop measurement should be better for PF...?it was 8 for the saucony.

he seemed pretty knowledgeable and I remember him from 6-7 mos ago. He said ASICS generally run narrow. I attacked him with all sorts of questions to learn more about shoe mechanics and design.

i really wanted to try a saucony but the brooks just felt great. I agree with you guys. And thanks for the support. I need to know what’s out there first.

the biggest thing that throws me off on the internet is when I check the so called reviews of a shoe...they either fell apart after 2 days or they’re the best thing ever.

I definitely do get the care and attention from this store and don’t mind supporting them plus they are  giving me life long lessons in shoe purchase.

I do have a dicks sporting nearby, big5sporting, Nordstrom, Marshall’s etc. i was also thinking to try on shoes at the big stores then looking online for better prices. As my husband says tho regarding the local shoe store “you’re paying for your time and convenience too.” Then I told him how much the adrenaline’s were!!! 😂

I guess I just always have to be on the lookout.

I would think the higher the drop the better it would be for PF, because it puts less strain on that system of tendons.

On shoe buying; if you find something that works for you and you come across a great deal, don't be afraid to buy 3-4 pairs and be set for the entire year. Most annual "updates" to a shoe model are just cosmetic anyway. If THIS shoe is one of the best shoes of the year in 2019, how bad can it be in 2020? The worst shoe? lol

If something DOESN'T work for you but is a great deal, don't buy it just because it's cheap. I've admired but passed on some high end Nike spikes (Matumbo and Mamba) for $15 at Ross because I know I can't wear spikes without aggravating my achilles.

One game some of us play is cost per mile for shoes. If you can get it below 20 cents, you're doing ok. That equates to 500 miles out of a $100 pair of shoes. I sometimes hit the 10 cent mark, with $30 clearance shoes. But I only buy shoes I like and that work for me. Currently running in a bunch of Skechers; GoRun6, Ride7, UltraRoad2, MaxTrail, GoMeb5 and an older pair of GoRun5. Also running in Hoka Napali, Challenger3, Saucony Kinvarra6 and Brooks Green Silence. Other than the Hokas all were under $35, the Hokas were around $50-60.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Gizmo2019

I would think the higher the drop the better it would be for PF, because it puts less strain on that system of tendons.

On shoe buying; if you find something that works for you and you come across a great deal, don't be afraid to buy 3-4 pairs and be set for the entire year. Most annual "updates" to a shoe model are just cosmetic anyway. If THIS shoe is one of the best shoes of the year in 2019, how bad can it be in 2020? The worst shoe? lol

HAHA! thats another thing i was looking at...the differences between past years and current year's models. like i said, i look too hard online (its a dangerous place) and its the reviews that confuse me. but like you said, i should just find a pair that works and try to stick to it.

i agree with you on a higher drop would be better for PF. maybe he was thinking for walking/treatment purposes verse active running. as some say, barefoot walking helps to strengthen the foot, but it doesn't help alleviate the pain.

you have found some great efficient in mileage shoes. ever think of starting your own business of shopping for others...????? ;-)

you have found some great efficient in mileage shoes. ever think of starting your own business of shopping for others...????? ;-)

Absolutely NOT. I have opinions, and they change a lot. No one should ever listen to my advice.

Gizmo2019

Absolutely NOT. I have opinions, and they change a lot. No one should ever listen to my advice.

👍I’ll keep that in mind! After all nothing you say doesn’t make sense....😉

Gizmo2019

My new adrenaline’s didn’t work. FYI I think they run a large! They weigh more and the toe to heel thing ...bigger. They rise on the ankles too tall for me too. I’m injured now! Messed up ankles and a shin splint. 🤬 back to the store...

New shoes will almost always develop an issue if you don't rotate them in to your mix. You should try to run every third run in the new shoes, and after a few weeks every other run. Even if the shoes are "right" for you, they will have different dynamics that your body will need to adjust to, working or (not working) smaller supportive muscle groups. Many of us mentioned the strategy of having at least three different shoes in rotation to avoid overuse injuries. It's the same with workouts; if you do the same route at the same pace every day you can develop overuse injuries. Quality (speed) days, long runs, recovery runs, easy runs, tempo runs etc all figure into the mix, as does trail running. Running on uneven dirt trails strengthens your smaller muscle groups in ways road running can't.

I still think that for plodding along and putting in the miles, there's not much better than a high stack max cushioned shoe. The cushion will allow for irregularities in the impact and gait. They might not be the fastest shoe, but they allow you to put in the miles with impunity. There are only three shoes I know of in this category; Hoka Bondi and Stinson, and Skechers MaxRoad. Altra Olympus and Duo are also in there, but they're zero drop so might be rough on the PF (however, you can put a different insole in them that adds 4-8mm drop).

At your LRS, try on the Hoka Clifton and see what you think. That's a good entry into the rocker-sole cushioned shoe category. The re-issue of the Clifton-1 is especially nice.

Gizmo2019

Okay, I’m heading over there in about an hr. But these for sure are way too big. I measured it against my Ravenna 9’s and although the same size and same company (brooks) it’s about 1.5” longer, about 1/2-1” wider at the base of toe box, and 1” taller. If I laced it tight enough to stay on my feet I’d get that ankle tightness feeling, loosen it a little and I’m clutching at them with my feet if you will, as if to hold onto them (straining to flex my feet).

i do remember having minor problems when I switched from asics nimbus to brooks Ravenna. But it was barely there and went away by 2nd-3rd run.

maybe I’ll get an older model of a stacked shoe to rotate with. I do see the value in that...

Rule of thumb: there should be about a thumb's width between your toes and the end of the shoe (when pressing down from the top).

Don't forget about Goodwill if you don't want to commit $160 on shoes you might not like. I've found a few of my past pairs of Hokas at Goodwill with almost no wear on them. And my NB Minimus shoes. $5-10 is an easier pill to swallow if you just want to try something out.

Gizmo2019

You have great luck! And maybe an uncommon shoe size? In the past I could never find great deals in my size at stores like Marshall’s. I ended up sticking with the Ravenna 10. I tried the saucony guide again and I think I can make that work but looking for a discounted one. I will keep my eye out for higher stacked shoes. It makes sense that’ the extra cushioning helps with longer distances. Thank you.

Actually, recent studies have shown that the extra cushion results in basically same impact as barefoot because the body adapts and settles at it's own prefered impact. However, the extra cushion modulates certain aspects of the impact to level out the "spike" of maximum impact to a longer time (milliseconds). And there is less effort needed to absorb impact when using cushioned shoes. Some of the propulsion force is lost to the cushion upon toe-off, but that is not an issue for people running at slower paces who are not forcefully propelling themselves off their toes. Many "performance" shoes now feature a midsole with different materials, a softer heel and firmer forefoot. There is an overlap mid-foot. This results in a shock absorbing impact (for heel strikers) and a rigid, firm platform for toe-off to maximize propulsion force.

Gizmo2019

I have been doing some research. Sometimes I think I’ve figured out the right shoe for me and then I think I wasted all this time. It’s pretty much trial and error but at an expensive point. And where to start...?

Ill keep my eyes open for deals to try out saucony and Hoka. Maybe Skechers too. Some companies allow a 30 or 90 day trial but I always feel bad about returning used items.

Curious, how old of a model are you guys getting when you find these deals?

and when do most new running shoes come out? (When’s the best time to buy older models?)

i know i like some flexibility , do no motion control for me. I learned I’ve always worn 10 mm differentials. Maybe I can go down to 8mm. I’d rather stay around 10-12 bc I’m comfortable with that. But the higher the differential, the more expensive the shoe it seems. The Mizuno looks really good.

im one of those who think if it ain’t broke why fix it..in other words I found the shoe for me (Ravenna) but don’t know how it’ll fare as I increase miles? Or hills?

do ppl with PF run marathons/run long distance in higher stacked shoes only? And train in something lighter or use a “faster/energizer” shoe for shorter races/distances/Speedwork? Or do they take care of the PF with stretches etc and run in anything?

and what are racing flats for?