Runners (athletes) Cheat (Read 1727 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I had a friend post this on facebook, having read it I can only think one thing:

BUSTED!!!

http://www.trailrunningclub.com/?p=1176#.T8UufRo-KSl.facebook

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*looks at my feet* *awkward silence*

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I had a friend post this on facebook, having read it I can only think one thing:

BUSTED!!!

http://www.trailrunningclub.com/?p=1176#.T8UufRo-KSl.facebook

You know, this made me really, really sad.  I was just talking to a couple of my old buddies, runners who ran through 70s and 80s...and 90s and now.  We were just talking about how great those good old days were; there's no money involved, no one expected much from running but just from ourselves.  We didn't have all these scientific researchers telling us that we were running too much so we just ran...  We were actually pretty care-free bunch; we were happy if someone ran well, we helped out each other... (yeah, actually an article about Frank Shorter triggered our talk).  Yet, this article started out with a sentence; "Come on, admit it; runners cheat..."  Well, we didn't use to.  Sure, we had some odd guy(s) who jumped in a car and came by the stadium and hopped out of the car and ran into the stadium as if he were a winner...  Or jumped in the course a half a mile from the finish of the most prestigious marathon, pretending that you ran the whole way...and won.  When did we go wrong...?  I'd say when people started to want something--like running sub-4 marathon--without "paying the price"--like just running 3 days a week or something.  You want it; yet you don't want to work hard at it.  So it's hard to get it.  So what do you do?  Is that the mentality?  And, unfortunately, the same thing can be said about the elite field as well.  Sure, there's always "some" people who cheated.  But once tons of money got involved, man, it's almost sad to face reality...

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

no one expected much from running but just from ourselves.  We didn't have all these scientific researchers telling us that we were running too much so we just ran...  

This guy might be right. I run for the joy of it  not necessarily to get faster. Strength training,drills and stretching  are to much like exercising. Running is not exercising. It is fun. I will continue to cheat!!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Meh.

Most of the implied assertions in the original article are false and not supported by science. They sound more like mumbo jumbo from some motivational speaker. For example...

We shorten, eliminate or simply do not do thorough warm-ups and think that it won’t matter. - It does not matter

Running a 10-20 minutes is a waste of time… let’s just get to the workout! That’s all that counts. Right? - actually, yeah, right.

We cut short or do not do range-of-motion drills. I mean come on, those drills are silly and they aren’t running so they can’t really make a difference. Right? - Actually, right. They don't make much difference for most runners.

We think that the exercises that our physical therapist assigned to us are meant only for the PT days. - Who has a PT?

We know that once or twice a week is MORE than enough to make us healthy even though it was 6-7 days a week of pounding our bodies to get us injured. Right? - Actually, right.

We think we can get faster by just going for our daily run.  - Actually, for most of us, we can. Run more!

We think that we can just become mentally tough on race day. I mean come on, why waste time on those everyday runs to bog the mind down with focusing on things that might help us on race day… just enjoy the run. Right?  - Actually, right.

... and so on

bhearn

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on most of those, Trent.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You are not most runners.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

I do think the article is probably speaking to the more competitive runner instead of the joy of running runner.

I for can tell when I don't do sufficient warm-up/cool-down. I can tell when I am not stretching enough.

What in the Jehu?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've seen runners cheat -- cutting corners in a race being the most prominent example. It is sad to see.

But that article seemed stupid, or at least stupidly titled -- I gave up before finishing it, because he didn't seem to be talking about actual cheating at all -- it seemed like a deceptive & sensationalistic article title -- it reminded me of advertisers using bait & switch tactics.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

What he ^^ said.  That article seemed kind of douchy to me specifically because of the title vs the content.

bhearn

Well the conflict between the cheating implied in the title and the cheating described in the content was supposed to be rather obvious, I think. A simple, inoffensive kind of joke. And I'm guilty on a lot of counts.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Setting aside the aggregious title, I think, like others, that the content is rather obvious as to its meaning. I also think there are any number of people on these boards that fall victim to much of the cheating described.

What in the Jehu?

We think that we can just become mentally tough on race day. I mean come on, why waste time on those everyday runs to bog the mind down with focusing on things that might help us on race day… just enjoy the run. Right?  - Actually, right.

... and so on

There is a lot in that article that I can understand, a lot I can disagree with, and there is this.  Is anyone actually totally focusing on things that help your race on those "everyday" runs?  There is a point where you become too serious by half (Yes, I'm making that up.), but honestly, if you can't enjoy your run sometimes, then you have a problem.  Save the mental focus for your workouts, and don't pretend that your cheating yourself by enjoying your easy runs.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

There is a lot in that article that I can understand, a lot I can disagree with, and there is this.  Is anyone actually totally focusing on things that help your race on those "everyday" runs?  There is a point where you become too serious by half (Yes, I'm making that up.), but honestly, if you can't enjoy your run sometimes, then you have a problem.  Save the mental focus for your workouts, and don't pretend that your cheating yourself by enjoying your easy runs.

I agree that overthinking can be a bad thing.  I got the impression that part the cheating was the not enjoying part or running easy, too hardly.

I know I’m supposed to have an easy day but if I push it today I’ll get in even better shape. What do 30 seconds per mile matter. Right?

What in the Jehu?

Feeling the growl again

Is anyone actually totally focusing on things that help your race on those "everyday" runs? 

If you're not sadistic enough to find fun and enjoyment in the types of difficult, challenging workouts that stretch yourself into becoming a better and faster runner, you will be leaving something on the table come race day.  That building discomfort inside you needs to be an old friend, not a stranger.

While easy runs in new and interesting places -- a rare occurence for me -- are quite enjoyable, I can't say I really look forward to yet another hour run on the treadmill or around a loop I've run hundreds of times.  Turn that same run into a challenging workout which helps me learn more about myself and what I need to work on....THAT is enjoyable.

IMHO it is true that this article was written more for the competitive runner than the "recreational" runner (quotations because I'm not sure that is the right term, I am both competitive and recreational).  However, funny things can happen when a simple recreational runners starts thinking --and acting -- like a competitive runner.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills