Unequal length legs (Read 66 times)

Bluejayfeather

So, I have bursitis in my hip that gets in the way of me running how I would like to.  I've been reading about possible causes.  I'm wondering if I might have legs of unequal length.

How do you get such a thing evaluated?  Who do you go to?

Any success stories?

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I get this sometimes from various muscle spasms and issues. My massage therapist is usually able to even me back out. If you think that part of the issue is the muscles trying to compensate or protect one side from pain, it’s worth a shot to see a sports massage therapist.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

AlphaAsPhuck

Its fairly easy to see if there's a difference in length or muscular imbalance. But if you want a proper diagnoses and treatment I would advise you to see a physical therapist. If the difference in length is subtle a small sole in your shoe might do the trick as for muscular imbalances they can be trained. All in all its worth a try imo.

My right leg is 29 mm longer than my left leg.  A 1/4" shim in my left shoe helps.  Also, I look for opportunities to run where the slope favors my short leg, such as on the right side of trails or lightly traveled roads.

Hardly anyone has same-length legs. Most people have a 4-8mm difference, and would never know unless examined because they have no effects from it, the body compensates (the wear on your shoes will be  a little different).

People with extreme differences CAN have issues.

My hip bursitis shows up when I favor my opposite leg due to achilles issues. Perhaps your bursitis is because a gait issue unrelated to leg length discrepancy. Weight lifting and core work seems to alleviate and prevent a lot of these issues. I just need to practice what I preach, because I don't. Shorter quicker stride reduces the pain for me, when I have it.

BEWARE that some greedy medical technician will try to sell you "custom orthotics" for several hundred dollars for the NORMAL leg length discrepancy issues of 1/4" or less, with claims that they will magically fix all your problems and cure heartburn. Over the years I've mainly heard of chiropractors being the perpetrators of such scams, but physical therapists that work with non-athletes may try this as well.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

mcrunner

A physical therapist can evaluate and see if it is a true leg length difference or the cause is something entirely different. It depends on the state you live in and your insurance whether you can directly go to a PT without a referral from a doctor. Best of luck to you...hopefully you can find the cause of your hip pain and get it fixed.