What fuel belt do you use and why do you like it? (Read 3337 times)

After trying out several ... this is what I've finally settled on. There's room for my cell phone and a couple of GUs. I also like how I can do 6 bottles water, 2 bottles gatorade.
    On belts like this with the velcro closure, does it stay closed?
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
        On belts like this with the velcro closure, does it stay closed?
        You mean around my waist?
        2009: BQ?
          You mean around my waist?
          Yes. My concern with velcro is that it can come open easily. Just wondering if that's true or my concern is baseless.
            *ditto* I have that with the 2 additional 10.5oz bottles to attach to the belt. It's awesome in the summer...I put Gatorade in the main 20oz. bottle and water in the smaller bottles. In a 2+ hour run I can drink all 3. Nice to not have to choose between water or sports drink, since I can have both. And the pouch on the back holds my phone and inhaler.k
            Double ditto. I picked Amphipod because you can configure the bottles any way you like, any number bottles, front, back horizontal, it doesn't matter. The Fuelbelt I initially looked at didn't offer that flexibility, and I hate having stuff on my front.
              Yes. My concern with velcro is that it can come open easily. Just wondering if that's true or my concern is baseless.
              I've never had a problem with that --- there is a wide strip of velcro and it's pretty strong.
              2009: BQ?
                I've never had a problem with that --- there is a wide strip of velcro and it's pretty strong.
                Thanks.
                derek

I use the Nathan water belts. I did buy an Amphipod a couple months ago as I thought I would like the ability to add more bottles, but I found the "clip-in" mechanism a pain to use. Every now and again, I would put the bottle back, but not clip it properly and they would fall. In most cases, I would realize that right away, but in one case, I actually lost a bottle as it fell and I didn't know.

Derek

I mostly use an old single-bottle fanny pack from Nathan, like this. I've had it for years, it has a simple web belt with an adjustable plastic buckle, and a compartment big enough for several gels and a cell phone. The bottle is held snugly enough for training runs without any straps, and it is easy to access. Since I've had this one unit, I've tried Fuelbelts (single and multple bottle units), and other brands. I prefer this one becasue it is simple and relaible. I don't like messing with multiple bottles. This one holds any standard water bottle. I also hate velcro and stretchy belts on hydration packs. The stretchy belts make for more bounce, and the velcro wears out. I highly recommend this unit.

Imminent Catastrophe

Another vote for the Amphipod full-tilt, I have the Trail Lite version. No sloshing or bouncing and it holds extra stuff. Someone once asked me in a race if I was going camping, though Confused

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I've switched back and forth from the fuel belts and the camel back waist pack. The camel back is rock solid and mostly comfortable but can get annoying as it has more bulk then the fuel belts. I do have some small leakage with fuel belts but nothing severe enough to stop me from using it; they are comfortable and light.
                          Well I finally got my money together for my fuel belt. Thanks for the great feedback. I looked online several places and found some good deals on Nathan stuff on Ebay. I bid on, and won, this item: http://www.nathansports.com/our_products/hydration_nutrition/muse.html It appears to retail for $33.95 and I won it for $18.49 + shipping. Hopefully I will like the way it feels! Smile
                          ---- Cynthia