Do all FR 210s do this...? (Read 115 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've been running into an issue with my newish Forerunner 210 that has me sorta irritated with the device.  It seems that as soon as my computer goes into sleep mode that it disconnects the device -- both the mounted disk dealie AND charging through the USB clip/cable.  This wouldn't maybe be a big deal were it not for the fact that not only does it stop charging, but it appears to actually discharge the device. Nothing kills the battery life on a LiIon battery faster than allowing it to run low or discharge frequently.  Plus, getting all 5 pins on that dumbass charging clip to align perfectly is an epic feat in itself, most of the time.

I'm starting to have buyer's remorse and regret going with this more minimal device, vs. the 310XT that I'd been considering for about the same price. Undecided

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have a similar issue in that mine will turn on automatically at some point after I shut it down.

Otherwise, I am happy with it.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Yes I think mine stops charging when the computer goes to sleep, although I have not actually noticed it discharging. That does not seem right. But usually I plug it in to upload data, then leave it in while I am using the computer. The other option of course is the wall charger.

Do not get me started on that damn clip connector. I cannot tell you how many times I have bitched about that thing on these forums. What is most aggravating is that you can get it connected so it is charging, but the computer won't recognize the device, requiring disconnecting/reconnecting multiple times. Makes no sense whatsoever & drives me insane.

May not sound like it, but I would still actually recommend the 210, with those caveats. Has just the right level of functionality for me, without getting too complicated. And looks normal enough to wear as a regular watch although I seldom do.

Dave

an amazing likeness

All the USB-connected Forerunner models I've seen do the same.  When the computer goes to sleep, it turns off the USB port (naturally, it went to sleep...why power external devices...) and to the Forerunner, that is no different than being unplugged.

I can't explain the "discharge" effect....the FR210 should just go into its low-power watch mode.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

That's kind of how USB ports work. When your computer goes to sleep it shuts off the USB ports. Don't let your computer go to sleep while your Garmin is plugged into it, or charge your Garmin by plugging it into a wall outlet using a usb to ac adapter.

I don't seem to have the issue with the charging clip that other people have but hey.

Runners run

Why not just get an AC charger?  It will charge much more quickly anyway.

DaBurger

If you are charging on a laptop, the usb ports usually turn off when it goes to sleep (to conserve power) this'll happen with anything (phones, ipods etc.)  Also, I'm not sure on the details, but I'm pretty sure that if the usb port is turned off, the 5V line on the usb used for charging gets grounded, that might be causing the discharge, however I'm fairly certain that's a result of design decisions on how usb ports work, so they can protect the rest of the computer hardware.  Switching to a 310XT will more than likely not solve this issue, but using the wall charger would.

Getting the pins to line up isn't really too difficult, so long as you're aware that the pins need to be aligned.  Its easy enough to jiggle around until it snaps in place, (and it does snap and stay there when the pins are lined up solidly).

Know thyself.

DaBurger

Also, if you have a desktop, the usb ports don't turn off like this, even when you shut down...

Know thyself.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also, if you have a desktop, the usb ports don't turn off like this, even when you shut down...

I have a desktop.  I never had these issues with the 305 or my Edge 500, which is what is frustrating with the 210 -- it behaves differently than other Garmin devices I've owned.

Like DaveP, I otherwise really like the device...it's not a brick with a bunch of features I never use, which is what is most appealing.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Why not just get an AC charger?  It will charge much more quickly anyway.

I had to unplug it last night and charge it via outlet, because it was down to 1/4 little bars.  But it's a PITA when I want to then upload the next day.  It doesn't seem like I should have to do a 2 step procedure every time I want to upload + charge.  I've never had to dick-around with other Garmins this way.

That clip dealie is the worst. idea. ever.  Engineering fail.

~ Sarah Kay

Do not get me started on that damn clip connector.

That clip dealie is the worst. idea. ever.  Engineering fail.

i find it helps if you flip the 210 and point the four contacts in the direction of the nearest light source (whether that be laptop/tablet/monitor or old skool window) and then align the top two pins on the USB dongle (there's still a minor bit of wiggling involved to get the other pins on board before the click); seems much easier to dock that way.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i find it helps if you flip the 210 and point the four contacts in the direction of the nearest light source (whether that be laptop/tablet/monitor or old skool window) and then align the top two pins on the USB dongle (there's still a minor bit of wiggling involved to get the other pins on board before the click); seems much easier to dock that way.

And then hold your breath and say a prayer to your deity of choice, spin 3x while patting your head and rubbing your belly, then hop twice on your left foot. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

an amazing likeness

For cryin' out loud....how do you expect it to stay connected when you're dancing an crazy Irish jig...that wasn't in the engineering specs...

"Connection to clip. Section 12A.1.1 -- the design of the charging cradle/clip device must anticipate that the person clipping the 210 is dancing around like a mad hatter on fire after an early start on the liquor cabinet.  The clip must not require the clip-ee to set the damn thing down on the counter and connect it."

And then hold your breath and say a prayer to your deity of choice, spin 3x while patting your head and rubbing your belly, then hop twice on your left foot. Tongue

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

DukeDB

What other Garmins use the same / similar clip as the 210?  I have had the 210 since Christmas, 2011 and the battery is beginng to falter - most likely due to bad connections on the clip leading to many overnight discharges.  I've said it before and I will say it again, the 210 is for me the best in every way except for the clip - and that clip alone makes me wish I got some other model.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What other Garmins use the same / similar clip as the 210?  I have had the 210 since Christmas, 2011 and the battery is beginng to falter - most likely due to bad connections on the clip leading to many overnight discharges.  I've said it before and I will say it again, the 210 is for me the best in every way except for the clip - and that clip alone makes me wish I got some other model.

I wonder if it's a bad connection thing that is really the root of the problem, too.  ITA agree with your assessment of the device.  Aside from the clip it's damned near perfect for my running needs.

~ Sarah Kay