Is it "wrong" to count official split times as PRs? (Read 615 times)

JimR

So good to see you around JimR 

Hi-I-Lean

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

drca

It will be more fun when they start selling smart treadmills that you can connect to Strava, etc.

Agreed

runnershawn

It is not!!  I do not, but you could say my 10 mile PR is actually first 10 miles of a half marathon I ran.

Hey gang,

Similar to how it is generally frowned upon to wear a current year race Tee to said race, is it also considered bad form to count timed splits as PRs?  I ask because in my recent Half Marathon, I set three PRs from timed splits and a fourth implied PR.

Consider the following:

• 10K split time (with 33 second offset applied): 48:16 (my fastest, and only, 10K since I turned 50 was at the Detroit Turkey Trot last year on slippery snow covered streets was a 48:24)
          • 8-Mile (implied PR at 4/5ths of my 10-Mile time): 1:02:08 (my fastest, and only 8-Miler since I turned 50 was the Dallas Turkey Trot back in 2009 where I finished with a time of 1:10:42)
          • 10-Mile (with 33 second offset applied): 1:17:40 (my fastest 10-Miler was a really hilly course in August where I logged a 1:19:21)
          • Half Marathon time: 1:42:13.5 -- Given this was my first Half, I get this one without discussion

So, is it bad form to claim more than one PR from any given race?

runnershawn

And yet, there my 10-mile PR sits. Run en route to my half marathon PR, 10 years, 7 months ago. Alas.

Shipo, if counting legitimate splits as PR's is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

lol we think alike, read this after posting.  That Jones 10 miler you ran though is another kind of a PR Smile

Joann Y

It is not!!  I do not, but you could say my 10 mile PR is actually first 10 miles of a half marathon I ran.

Damn. I never really thought about it. Thank you so much! I just took a full 5 minutes off my lousy 10 mile PR from the comfort of my own kitchen!

MTA: Now how to document this?

Damn. I never really thought about it. Thank you so much! I just took a full 5 minutes off my lousy 10 mile PR from the comfort of my own kitchen!

MTA: Now how to document this?

Apparently the preferred method is to create a race from 50 years ago.

Dave

Joann Y

Apparently the preferred method is to create a race from 50 years ago.

And 11 second 8k PR. BOOM!!!

Joann Y

Oh man. It has to be from the start line to count? Or does it? What counts??

mikeymike

Oh man. It has to be from the start line to count? Or does it? What counts??

From the start line (or you'd have the advantage of a rolling start) and, technically, with certified mile markers.

Otherwise my 10 mile PR from the aforementioned half would be even faster.

Runners run

Joann Y

From the start line (or you'd have the advantage of a rolling start) and, technically, with certified mile markers.

Otherwise my 10 mile PR from the aforementioned half would be even faster.

From the highest highs to the lowest lows without even breaking a sweat. Guess I need to keep training. Rats.

Joann Y

Oh wait! I still do have a 10 mile PR! Just not as good as I thought.

This is exhausting.

xhristopher

But rolling starts are common with chip timing at bigger races right? By the time many cross the start they are moving right along.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But rolling starts are common with chip timing at bigger races right? By the time many cross the start they are moving right along.

My experience in big races has been that I'm pretty much ambling right up to the starting line.

Now, next question: Is it "wrong" to extrapolate a marathon PR from my 5K time?

Joann Y

Now, next question: Is it "wrong" to extrapolate a marathon PR from my 5K time?

"Implied PR" is the correct terminology.