Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2019 (Read 641 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks guys - I don't have kids.  We decided to go with Universal because it's a 10 minute walk.  Exhausted now, glad I went but time to head down the coast to the beaches tomorrow.

Good luck JMac - hoping to see you continuing to put pressure on Mark!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - go get it in Brooklyn, like the great philosopher Max Holloway said:  "Leave no turn unstoned!"

me - I've managed the incredible feat of gaining 2kg / 4.4lbs in 2 weeks. I'm awesome! Double kick in the nuts because I just learned about a 3000m race that will happen next Saturday on the track nearby. 2 seconds per pound per mile they say so from my calculations I should be about 16 seconds slower over the race. I'll still give it a shot if I can make it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Mark - Thanks!  Looking forward to a new PR.

JMac - Good luck in Brooklyn.  Excited to see your splits.  Are you more of a consistent runner or do you try to negative split a little bit?

Flavio - Gaining weight is always a goal of mine so I do think you're awesome!  Didn't realize that was an actual calculation though.  Is there an ideal weight/height chart somewhere for runners?  I really need to work on my core.  Skinny but non muscular at all is probably not good.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

cc - "Gaining weight is always a goal of mine so I do think you're awesome!"

LOL, no, I was being sarcastic, when it comes to running, weight is always bad unless you're anorexic/suffers malnutrition.

"Is there an ideal weight/height chart somewhere for runners?"

You will quickly notice the elites all weigh about the same regardless of height, with the females under 100lb and the man under 135lb.

"I really need to work on my core"

This makes a huge difference in your speed, endurance and also for injury prevention.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone. My hamstrings still feel like crap for some reason (usually I'm feeling perfect the day before the race), so this will be my excuse if I don't PR 

CC - used to negative split all the time, but as I've gotten faster, I've learned that that I was probably negative splitting by too much. However, I also have realized I am positive splitting by too much now, usually with miles 3 and 4 being too fast. I really did a better job at Boston with that, but then got fried by the humidity. My last half (current PR) was really bad about that though, where I went 15 seconds under my final pace in the early miles.

I think the ideal way to race half marathon is to go out in the first mile about 10 seconds behind plan, then get on plan for miles 2-10, and then try to speed up from there. Rarely works that way, but that's usually a recipe for success. The most dangerous point are miles 4-6 when you're feeling great and want to pick it up too early.

Weight - I think everyone has their own "ideal" racing weight. I agree with Flavio that the elites are at 130 pounds or so, but most of them are also on the shorter side. I also think there's a bit of an incorrect conclusion here: it's not that everyone needs to get that low in order to race well, it's just that people who are fast have the ability to get to that weight. I'm lucky in that my body build allows me to get down to 140 pounds at 5'9, but there are people who can get down to 125 at this weight and also people who would never crack 150 even if they starved themselves.

Flavio - I think weight matters a lot less for something like a 3K than it does for a half. I know the calculators make them all the same, but you should be okay. Also, any idea what caused the weight gain, or is this just part of your crazy volatility in weight?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Is that "extra" weight muscle, fat, or just water? That makes a big difference in what it means. Unless you've been absolutely cramming food down your mouth I can't imagine that a big portion of that weight is fat or muscle rather than water.
              I do agree with JMac that for a 3k it won't make as much of a difference as a longer race.
              All those elites are pretty short, too. Isn't Kipchoge in the 5'6"/ 168cm range? It's easy to be super-light when you have a tiny frame like that.

JMac - Best of luck tomorrow.
              I agree with your "ideal race" approach for the HM.

Racing weight - I'm not really sure what my ideal is yet, but it's probably less than what I'm at now. I'll probably try to lean out a little over the summer to experiment with this.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

weatherboy80

Lurking into this thread since I saw my name mentioned Wink  As mentioned, I live about 45-60 minutes east of Orlando along the FL east coast just south of Cape Canaveral.  My wife and I are pretty big Disney nuts and have annual passes so we are there at least twice per month or more.  Echo what JMac said about Epcot (we are there often), but my wife and I enjoy also hitting just about every park and since she is not a huge thrill ride junkie (I am though) we can enjoy many of the rides together. We also enjoy hitting many of the resorts to try out different restaurants.  Must mention that Busch Gardens Tampa is also an excellent choice for better thrill rides.

Do most of my running around my local area, but have run in Orlando on rare occasion. There is a great 10 mile clay loop just west of Disney and the Magic Kingdom, in Clermont, that many elites, including those from Hanson's Brooks, will train on over the winter months.  It has some really great rolling hills too. I've only run it a few times and probably need to hit it more often before my next Boston again.  Lots of the Disney resorts have decent running loops, but you will have to get creative if going for longer than a few miles.

JMac: best of luck tomorrow!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Best of luck to Jmac and CC4 hope you have races to remember.

I'm 5'8. Lightest I got when running 60mpw consistently was 66.6kgs 147lb. Lighter than that for me would not be good.

I don't have that skinny runners frame and my head is like a NO. 15 bowling ball....

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Flavio - I caught your sarcasm ;-)  Just find it ironic that I'm always told to gain weight yet I'm usually floating around 160-165.  Lightest I've been was 155 when healthy (got lower when my appendix was kicking my ass).  I'm 6'2'' though so that explains a little bit of it.  Agreed about the core though.  I was hesitant to start doing any until after tomorrow's race but it's definitely in the regimen for the future!

Jmac - Sounds like an ideal plan to me.   I always think negative splitting is the best idea and always in the plans...however....I usually screw it up by the end of mile 1!  That's ideally my goal for tomorrow...don't screw up the race in the first couple miles.

Now a 2 hour drive in the car for the race and staying over for a couple nights.  Not a destination race or anything but it's towards the beach and it's a little warm so we'll take advantage of it.

"Current" PRs

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

cc - cheers! good luck in your race!

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - was that gain sustained?  I find my weight bounces around a lot within like +/- 1 kg over the course of a week.  I was 71kg on Thursday morning and 72kg on Friday morning, so I try not to read too much into individual data points.

JMac  - yeah I think I would struggle to get below 150lb (I'm 5'10), it would take super-strict nutrition and probably no alcohol, neither of which I have any intention of doing.  I'm currently 71kg / 157lb which is more or less the lightest I've ever been as an adult, and I'm pretty OK with where I'm at.  Still carrying a bit of muscle from when I lifted weights a lot more often but it has its uses.

CC4 - yeah unfortunately appendicitis / food poisoning / gastro bugs tend to be a very effective weight loss technique, not much fun and not very healthy either though!! I had campylobacter a few years back and by the time I got rid of it (they misdiagnosed it as appendicitis at the start and took my appendix out) I'd lost like 7kg.  Anyway have fun with the race, I had one back in December that was up at a beach location and we had a couple fun nights staying up there.

Race strategy - it's pretty individual to be honest.  For me, if I ran a negative split I'd almost certainly have gone out too slow, I'm very much a steady pace runner.  I tend to aim for even splits which generally ends up being a very slight positive split.  But yeah JMac makes an important point that it's that 2nd quarter of the race where you often have to resist the temptation to pick up the pace, because you're feeling awesome but there's still a long way to go.

'My coach is trying to kill me' week: I've almost survived with just one workout left to do tomorrow.  It's a tough one though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - was that gain sustained?  I find my weight bounces around a lot within like +/- 1 kg over the course of a week.  I was 71kg on Thursday morning and 72kg on Friday morning, so I try not to read too much into individual data points.

Wait a minute - you weigh yourself DAILY?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Wait a minute - you weigh yourself DAILY?

Nah, just when I'm at the gym.  Often I run from there so I can stretch/foam roll afterwards (it's only 2 blocks from work) and I do weights there 1-2x/week.  The scales are right next to the locker I use so it just became part of the routine at some point.  Also being a nerd I kinda enjoy having the data points in Garmin Connect.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Kick ass in that workout Mark. I oddly thought it was a strain for a couple days and doc thought it was kidney stones. Misdiagnoses all around!

i probably weigh myself once a quarter. Rarely think about it.

"Current" PRs

Great workouts going on at the minute all around! Congrats and good luck to who is racing!!!

this week I ran about 30/35 miles easy recovering from the marathon (I’m not like mikkey... congrats on the track marathon!!! )

tomorrow I’m travelling to New Orleans for a conference, I’ll be there until Tuesday, then San Francisco  on Wednesday and back in Belfast on Thursday. Next week I might have to go back in North Carolina or to Manchester ( they haven’t decided yet...) Wednesday to Friday, then London for a conference Saturday to Tuesday then directly to Italy for a wedding

Tuesday to Monday... I’ll be back in ballast on tge11tg of June

talking about jet seater...

I’d like to run a half on the 19th of June aiming for a sub 90 but I’ll depend on the ext weeks...

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???