Bruised shin after a run? (Read 98 times)

Tim_Easterday

Anyone ever find a bruise on their shin right after a run? Twice in the past week I have gotten this a few inches above my ankle on the inside of the shin. I have a feeling it's related to the posterior tibial tendon because I can feel a little pain along the entire path of the tendon, down through the ankle. I had tendonitis in this same spot exactly one year ago. Had some off and on pain during the past year but it always goes away. I also wonder if it's because I often push & rub that area because it was already a little sore. The past few weeks I have been ramping up my mileage after a short break.

an amazing likeness

I'd wager that you're actually kicking yourself with the heel of your trailing foot as it comes forward to cause the bruising.  The tendon tenderness / pain is not the cause of the bruising.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tim_Easterday

I thought about that but so far haven't seen any evidence like scuffs or dirt on my leg. And the bruise faces more towards the front (my toes are pointed up towards the top of that photo). I often kick my other ankle but much lower - right on that boney protrusion.  I'll keep an eye on it and try to pay attention in my next run to see if I am hitting myself. Given the current level of tenderness I should certainly feel any kick to that area.

I'd wager that you're actually kicking yourself with the heel of your trailing foot as it comes forward to cause the bruising.  The tendon tenderness / pain is not the cause of the bruising.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Not my shins, but on more than one occasion within 24 hours of a particularly long/hard bike ride I'll end up with a small, oddly-shaped (one looked like the Playboy bunny logo) hematoma on my quad.  Not in a spot that has suffered any impact, either.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The bruising can certainly be a symptom of tendonitis.  This was a minor case, in that it bothered me for only a few days.  Hope yours is similarly minor.

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/f5ec15b43bde405980d878aa3637ac23

Tim_Easterday

It sure seems to get better rather quickly. This morning I can just barely see some red area and it's not tender at all to the touch. I had planned on a tempo run later today but will probably just run an easy few miles and see how it goes. I can still feel a dull ache where the tendon passes through the ankle.