YOU SOLD MY BIB? (Read 481 times)

CT JEFF

Hey - Im a newer runner (about 1 yr) and I don't know if this ever happened to you, but it seems highly... odd, to me.

I signed up for a HM months ago. Great deal. Local race. They have FB and twitter and their own website. They posted months ago they were increasing the size of the field due to increasing demand every year, but they kept updating the open registrations. (400 to start)...100 left...50 left...7 left.. sold out.

Today, they announce since they actually have no extra bibs, they are going to compile the bibs and 10 min before the 9am start, they will start re-selling (double selling) the bibs to people who want to register race day.

There are a lot of issues with this particular race why I feel this is a bad idea. (1) they are having "walkers" start the course early at 8:15am. The destination has 2 roads to it, one will be closed with a gate (once you've drive all the way up the road). and the open road is the one with slower racers on it going against traffic (2) there is no day-before packet pickup. (3) this event has never been this big.

Everything about this race organization has been 100% great and admirable until this.

But in your opinion, should paid, registered runners have their bibs re-sold without their consent?

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

xhristopher

Who is organizing this race? Delta or United?

delicate flower

Hey, I'll see you there.

I'll get there plenty early for the 9:00 start, so this won't be an issue for me.  It does seem like a bit of a head scratcher though.  I'd hate to be the person that arrives at 8:55 due to problems outside my control only to find out I have no bib.  "Sold out" means sold out.  To people that missed out on registration, I'd ask why they waited so long when registration for this race opened months ago.

<3

I don't know if I understand. Are you not getting a bib number to wear during the race if your number gets resold? That would make no sense. Everyone needs a bib number and they all need to be different to keep track of everyone's finish time and place. Is chip timing being used? If so, there is no way you can share a chip number. If they are trying to track this all manually and there are a lot of doubled up number, it sounds like it could be a mess. Bibs aren't that expensive, so they really should have just ordered more if this was an issue. I personally keep all my race bib numbers and write my time and a short recap on the back as mementos. I wouldn't be happy if I didn't get one.

WordPress Speed Guides: my personal website with speed and seo guides

vincoding.com: repository of useful code snippets that I've saved over time

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me, even if you show up a couple minutes late you should be able to retrieve your bib and hit the course.

Every race overbooks to a certain extent, anticipating no-shows (like airlines and hotels do) but they have bibs on hand for all registered runners (whether pre-registered or day-of-race walkups).

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

CT JEFF

I don't know if I understand. Are you not getting a bib number to wear during the race if your number gets resold? That would make no sense.

Im sorry for being unclear. The plan is they will assume you aren't coming, take your bib and hand it to someone who is waiting on race day to register. So, when you show up at 8:55, you can walk by the starting line and see someone else with your bib on their shirt.And since they have ZERO extra bibs, I can only assume that you will not be allowed to race. As they stated, anyone without a bib cannot be knowingly allowed to race since it would jeopardize their insurance policy. And, I agree. There could be a lot of logistics here. Including: they already announced everyones name and bib #.

As Baboon said, I plan to be there early (earlier now), so it should not be an issue for me. But I haven't even HEARD of a race doing this.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Feeling the growl again

I've never heard of such a thing.  Sounds like a headache in the making.  And, who wants to go through the routine of getting there and getting ready to race only to find they ran out of bibs to resell?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

delicate flower

I do think this is uncharted territory for them and they are trying to come up with options for accomodating people.  Not sure if this is the right move or not, but it'll be a learning experience for them either way.

Registration was like twenty bucks (and is donated to canine rescue), so I don't get why folks would wait so long to register.  DW wasn't sure if she was going to do it (she is), but she paid the $20 anyway to secure her spot.  If nothing else, $20 is a good deal for the long sleeve tech shirt and large post race food spread.

<3

Slo

I've never heard of such a thing. 

+1

JimR

Signing up for a race constitues a contract between you and the event org.  What they are doing constitutes breaking the contract as they are rewriting it after selling you the bib.  It's common to have a window of bib pickup and if you're late, well that's too bad.  However, since they have the facility to hand that bib to somone else then clearly that have the facility to hand it to you, the purchaser.  In this particular instance, if you lost your bib to someone else, I'd consider going to small claims court depending on the event fee you paid and if it's worth your trouble.

BTW- after the downgrade, you @united gave me a seat that someone else had rightly been assigned to. That wasn't cool -@Lagat1500

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hip Redux

I saw their post this morning and thought WTF?   So people are just going to show up and hope they get a bib?

delicate flower

I saw their post this morning and thought WTF?   So people are just going to show up and hope they get a bib?

It'll be like an iPhone release.  Maybe people will start camping out Thursday night.

<3

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

FTW

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hip Redux

Also - do a lot of races have walkers go out first?  It seems like that's a great way to have racers weave through a bunch of people, or am I missing something?