Post-marathon fitness loss? (Read 1303 times)

Bugs

That is too funny. I had all of these for my first: bonk = +3 big blisters = +2 can't walk downstairs next day = +2 can't walk downstairs same day of race = +2 PR = +3 spew at end = +4 collapse at end = +4 collapse before end = +8 = 13 days off. Very accurate.

Bugs

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

= 13 days off. Very accurate.
      Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kcam

On the AmorePerros scale: bonk = 0 big blisters = 0 can't walk downstairs next day = +2 can't walk downstairs same day of race = 0 PR = 0 spew at end = 0 collapse at end = 0 collapse before end = 0 So that gives me 2 days. I didn't run Mon,Tue, Wed; so I took an extra day. They don't call me 'slacker' for nuthin!
        obsessor

The water and bucket analogy is not right. It's more like a bank. Easy runs are like putting coins in the bank. You have the miles, and you get a small rate of return. Running a race can be like a risky loan. You are loaning out fitness at a high rate, and you risk a loss (injury), but the rate of return is higher. (increased fitness.) If you race too much, you won't have any money in the bank, or your risk exposure becomes so great that you are almost certain to fail. Running hills is a good investment. I dunno, maybe my analogy sucks.
            Running hills is a good investment.
            LOL! Big grin it's been 3 weeks since the chicago marathon (my first) and i still feel like i'm not back to where i was before it. i'm glad to see that others are experiencing the same thing. i guess we just take it slow, keep running, and know it will get better with time.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the end, I ran the next day (after mara) a couple miles, didn't like the feel of it, and took the next two days off, then started running but slow the rest of the week. Saturday (6 days after mara) I did a 5K race, and did well -- no PR, but I wasn't looking for one, I was just out for fun and to see how it felt. Sunday went medium long, and took today off. I feel pretty fine, but think I'll keep this week a bit low (relative to my before marathon levels) still -- and due to life events may stay low the following week as well. Doing a 10K next weekend, so may push that to see if I can PR.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

it's been 3 weeks since the chicago marathon (my first) and i still feel like i'm not back to where i was before it. i'm glad to see that others are experiencing the same thing. i guess we just take it slow, keep running, and know it will get better with time.
                4 weeks and 1 day since Milwaukee...my runs are still mostly in the toilet. Things seem to be improving, but VERY slowly. I also had a head and chest cold (plus my usual Fall allergies) that got me down, too. I still feel a bit like I lost a fight.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

post-marathon soreness, cold, allergies, and no daylight -- you just have everything working for you, don't you Zoomie? Smile Hope you recover well...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

post-marathon soreness, cold, allergies, and no daylight -- you just have everything working for you, don't you Zoomie? Smile Hope you recover well...
                    I know--what the hell was I thinking?! Tongue Honestly, though, the seasonal allergy garbage is what keeps me from considering a Spring marathon. My Fall allergies are bad, but my Spring ones land me in urgent care at least every-other year with godawful sinus infections and bronchitis. Not worth the risk to train through pretty harsh winters, only to have to sacrifice a big race like that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

4 weeks and 1 day since Milwaukee...my runs are still mostly in the toilet. Things seem to be improving, but VERY slowly. I also had a head and chest cold (plus my usual Fall allergies) that got me down, too. I still feel a bit like I lost a fight.
                      (((HUGS)))! Hope to hear things start improving much faster!! Lots of feel better vibes coming your way ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I've taken 4 days off since my last marathon 3 weeks ago. I did pr however due to knee issue's I eased up the last 7 miles. Guess because of that I had alot left over in the bank which is probably the reason why I'm feeling so good right now. One of these days I'm going to go bankrupt during a marathon (I hope). So in my case I haven't had any fitness loss, just gains.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson