Sore knee advice (Read 155 times)

Member Since 2008

My left knee has been sore lately.  Usually I can run through the pain with no problems but not today.  I know I have been pushing it a bit hard and probably took on too many miles last week.  There is no pain while cycling so I am going to take a couple of days off running to rest it and just do the bike.  My question is should I be using ice or heat for my knee.  There is no swelling and is not sore to the touch.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mikeymike

Ice can help reduce the pain. Long term you need to work on figuring out the root cause.

A lot of knee pain is the result of over striding. Make sure you are running with your back straight and your feet landing under your center of mass. Work on running with a fast cadence and being light on your feet.

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

I think glucosimine (sp) supplements help also

Runners run

Birdwell

Have you seen a doctor about it ever?

I have knee issues (Arthritis, and some knee cap tracking issues) I tried ice, glucosamine, fish oil, every OTC pain reliever you can name and a dozen other things.

What finally helped me was seeing a good sport med doc and getting a targeted strength training regiment. Lots of lower body stuff, mainly side stair steps, squats, lunges and this wired hip raise thing.

If I follow it, I don't have issues. If I slack off, it starts to ache again.

Member Since 2008

I have never seen a doctor for it, although I do have rheumatoid arthritis.  Its one of those nagging pains that comes and goes.  Thanks for your input.  I have started the glucosamine and after I take a few days off, I will focus on Mikey's form advice and work on some strengthening excersises.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

You did jack up the run mileage in June. Is it possible your body is just reacting to that and your knee will settle down with a few days off and the strengthening exercises?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

...although I do have rheumatoid arthritis. 

Well, that's a rather huge component to this discussion.  You have, as I'm sure you're aware, an autoimmune degenerative joint disease.  You'd probably be served best by following up with your doc to determine if this is simply a complication of your disease, a progression that would require some additional intervention or an injury not related to your disease (which could, in turn, affect progression of deterioration in that particular joint).

See your doc.  See him/her soon.

All the best.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

pedaling fool

I think a lot of people that feel knee pain (or hear someone complain of knee pain) automatically think of joint-issues.

However, it may have nothing to do with joints. I have  chronic knee pain with my right knee, but it's due to an injury I sustained to my early in my life to my patellar tendon (actually it's a ligament, but most call it a tendon).

I feel it every time I run, but I usually run thru it;  and I don't feel it on the bike, unless I mash the pedals, which I do a lot, so probably doing more harm than good.

First step is to find exactly what's causing the pain. Joint supplements may be totally a waste of time/money.

Personally, I don't take any medication, especially NSAIDs, rather I rely on just taking it easy to recover. I've never been much on ice or heat...

pedaling fool

I have never seen a doctor for it, although I do have rheumatoid arthritis.  Its one of those nagging pains that comes and goes.  Thanks for your input.  I have started the glucosamine and after I take a few days off, I will focus on Mikey's form advice and work on some strengthening excersises.

I just saw this after my post above, which I was just going off the OP.

Member Since 2008

I just tried the patella strapping there's no pain at all.  I'll take a couple days off and work on my form and exercises hopefully that will work.

HarmonyMedicine

Hi,

As a runner, a sore knee can be a major pain (no pun intended). But there are steps you can take to ensure a quick recovery. If you want some tips for speeding up the healing process, you might want to start with this helpful ebook: http://www.harmony-medicine.com/free-download-prolotherapy-ebook/ 

It's call "The Injured Athlete's Guide to Recovery" and contains some pretty useful health tips. Hope it helps and that you get better soon! =]

laurita

What finally helped me was seeing a good sport med doc and getting a targeted strength training regiment. Lots of lower body stuff, mainly side stair steps, squats, lunges and this wired hip raise thing.

If I follow it, I don't have issues. If I slack off, it starts to ache again.

Hi Birdwell, I happen to have an issue since December, I have not been able to recover, I've tried a few things (slowed running, did other exercises, stopped running, massage, currently with other therapy and  other little things) , could you please specify a bit more on the frequency, number of series, etc. of the strength training?

Thanks!