Having trouble starting (Read 243 times)

sttops

Hi all, I am 28, 125lbs, and very fit-looking, which makes it all the more demoralizing that I cannot run at all. Am now at the end of week 4 of c25k, and am hitting a wall where I feel as though I couldn't possibly run more than 5 mins. I have allergic asthma and live in NYC, so breathing is a bit of an issue, though albuterol's been helping. I also know that I have very weak legs... well weak everything. Did a bit of PT for a patellar tracking issue, and they said that my core and abductors are quite weak.

Shall I repeat this week of c25k? (jog 3 min, walk 1.5, jog 5, walk 2.5, etc for 20 mins), or should i push through into the next week of the program? Does working some strength training in this early on help?

THANKS!

runmichigan

If you are struggling I would recommend repeating the current week until you can complete it without too much difficulty.  Everyone gets into shape in different ways, so programs like this may need to be tailored to you.  I recommend repeating weeks as necessary.  The ultimate goal is to become a life long runner and not just to complete the program.

sttops

Thanks very much for your response! A very good point that this is about a sustainable future in running rather than zooming through. Hopefully this sport will teach me an ounce of patience along the way.   I was sort of starting to worry that if the 5 mins was that onerous then I might not be cut out for running at all.

Is it good to start strength training my legs separately this early in the game?

sttops,    first of all its great that you want to improve yourself !  2nd, dont stress yourself over this.  take your time & make fitness part of your lifestyle where it is just something you do that is fun & enjoyable & keeps you healthy.

lots of very good c25k programs out there but just use them as "guides".   its ok to repeat weeks if you need to, dont wory about it.  you are only 28 & have many many years ahead of you.

weight training should be a part of everybodys lifestyle /fitness.  work on finding the right balance between strength training/cardio (runnng).  no reason why you cannot begin working on that balance now.  Adding weight training will be another added stress placed on your body.   Anytime you add any additional stress it will take energy away from your other activities.  keep in mind that if you overtrain it WILL affect your running in a negative way.  In the long term weight training & running will be very beneficial.  take your time, go easy, enjoy both . You can start an easy weight training program at any time in addition to the c25k .    Just like your running, take it slow & easy especially with the leg workouts.   Right now I would not worry about setting any specific goals  except for being consistent & improving your life.    GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN !

King of PhotoShop

runmichigan and skyedog gave you the best advice you're going to get.

On the leg stuff, avoid lunges and squats, in favor of exercises that stress the patellar area less, given the tracking issue.  Building the legs should start now and focus on building easy reps over weights and stuff. It won't take long to get them in shape.

Another tip is to get your first walk break in earlier in the activity, so a half or even a quarter mile earns you a walk break. You'll see an immediate difference.  For even an expert runner, the first couple of minutes of easy running are all anaerobic, as your system has not yet adapted to the exercise.  I know this seems counter-intuitive but it's true, so don't be afraid to tweak the routine, as the others stated.

Yours is a happy story, and it will be good for you and us if you post here about your progress. Don't get trapped by the routine, just enjoy it.  Spareribs

Zelanie

I started with C25K, and week 4 was the only one I had to repeat.  I also remember thinking that maybe that was just the farthest I'd be able to run without stopping.  3 years and 5,000 miles later, that was apparently not the case!

Feeling the growl again

Repeat the week until it is comfortable.

Also, SLOW DOWN.  The goal is to keep running, not care about speed.  Speed will come on its own when you can complete the running.  Seriously, slow down as much as you need to in order to get through it.  While it is counter-intuitive, it is time/distance run that builds speed, not running fast.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Bruno

+1. This is great advice.

Repeat the week until it is comfortable.

Also, SLOW DOWN.  The goal is to keep running, not care about speed.  Speed will come on its own when you can complete the running.  Seriously, slow down as much as you need to in order to get through it.  While it is counter-intuitive, it is time/distance run that builds speed, not running fast.

sttops

Thanks for all this wonderful advice and encouragement. Much appreciated, and I will post on my progress. Injured my knee a bit last week (not running related) so giving it a lil rest. In awesome news, I won a pair of new Asics today, so I'll be ready to lace up and get back on the pavement soon!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Hang in there! I've been running about a year and a half, and I started with a C25K six months after I had a baby.  Also know the feeling of looking fit but being a poor runner (basically had done lots of sports but never running, so I'm lean) -- the thing is that no one else is worried about it but you, so don't let it get in the way.

I'm a big fan of strength training in part because it helps me with injury prevention, but also because it's fun.  I'd incorporate it now; that way when you're running more, you don't need to figure out how to fit in a simple weights routine.

sttops

Thanks for the advice again, all. I went out to the park on a couple jogs with my mom who is 55, exercises very early in the AM, and keeps about a 12:00 pace. Jogging this slowly the workouts are way way more manageable, so I'm trying to adopt the slower pace and work my way they the program a little more sustainably!

sttops

AND using a not 3-year-old pair of shoes is a gamechanger!

JanaLamb

I totally agree with spaniel. Don't beat yourself up, plus slower and longer running will build your stamina, so hang in there! Many new runners are too hard on themselves and try to reach the goal as fast as they can that's why they encounter problems. Slow down and you will eventually get there!

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

sluggo

John

I re-started running with the C25K. I spent a year getting to 5K. Don't worry about week 4, or any other week. Just keep putting on those running shoes and increase distance at your pace. Don't hurt yourself. Period.

John
                              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"