Starting back after a looong break (Read 708 times)

I haven't been running very long. Started with C25K in April (my log isn't complete). I will unfortunately be taking a break from any sort of regular running until about the middle of February. I want to try to run occasionally but not sure it will be possible. I'm a bit bummed about this so I'm turning my thoughts to the future and trying to get a feel of where to start back in Feb. Would I be wise to go all the way back to C25K again? Has anyone here had to take a long break like that (not due to injury)? What did you do coming back to it?
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      Hey there, Wee - I hope that a veteran will jump in to give you some solid advice here. I just wanted you to know that as a new runner myself, your blog is the one I've turned to whenever I've needed a little motivation/inspiration. I've been a slow loser in terms of weight loss, I'd say, so when I decided a couple of months ago that I really needed to focus first on fitness and consistent exercise ( and lose the fixation on counting calories ), reading about your journey was just invaluable. Your post-mortem on the experience of completing your C25K was just so exuberant! Anyway, I completed my own C25K on August 1, and have been running every other day since. And, what do you know, the scale has started getting with the program, too! Good luck to you with your field work this summer. I continue to check in with your blog and look forward to reading that you've figured out a way to get back to the running -- activity that seems clear to have been gratifying for you on so many levels! p.s. I even bought myself some kettlebells last week!
        I took a 23 year hiatus and returned to running. the farther you are removed from your previous point the farther back you need to start. You are not as old as me. The thing I learned is not to expect too much from my body too soon. Patience is the key. And steady performance. Gradually build your fitness and your body will probably do fine. Throw too many of those big spikes like you had a while back (20+ miles) without building up to it and you could get nagging injuries. This sport rewards those who have patience and persistance. Things I am not all that good at but working on. So I'm certainly not trying to preach here... because I don't show all that much history myself. I had a 2-week break with no running recently due to shin splints. I'm still icing the shins and stretching them and taking ibuprofen before long road runs etc... So I am not yet 100%. But I'm listening to the body and not pushing too hard. But I'm staying with it and slowing building. Good luck.

Thanks guys and teachbls thanks for the feedback on the blog. Good to know the account of the C25K was helpful to someone. I wish I didn't have to take a break from running so thinking about the future when I will be able to run regularly again is the next best thing I guess... sigh. I'll be sure to start back slow.
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
          sluggo

John

my two cents: I ran quite a bit right after college for about 6 yrs - then my youngest turned two and I took a 20 yr break from running. My youngest then asked me to run a 5K with her - so I started running again. I was terrible! Never-the-less, I got out the door and put in time (not necessarily miles) about 5 days per week. I probably ramped up too fast and pulled a calf muscle which required 3 weeks of rest. But I ran and walked that 5K and I have been running ever since. So - take your break if you need to - maybe try to run once in a while if you can. Buy GOOD shoes (I discovered I needed orthotics - they made a huge difference - flat feet are bad.) Take it slowly. Go for the fun. Maybe join a running club. Many are happy to include runners are all levels. You will meet new people, make some new friends, and have company while you run some of your miles. Good luck.

John
            www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"