foot soreness caused under laces (Read 596 times)

These past two weekends I've been wearing a new pair of trail shoes, ones that are the sister image of my road shoes, the Brook adrenalines. And, from both weekend's runs, I've developed a pain right underneath the laces where the knot is. First my left foot last weekend and now my right foot this past weekend. I changed back to my road shoes for the second run this weekend and it helped, so there is apparently a slight difference on where the laces lie. Anyone else go through this sort of pain?
    Run long, run strong
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Your shoes most likely are tied too tight. Your shoes should be a bit loose on your feet when tied.
        Yeah, it sounds like tight laces to me too. My Mizunos lace up differently than the New Balance shoes they were replacing. They were kind of tight but, I thought they'd loosen up after awhile. I actually wound up bruising the top of my foot & it felt like my sock was bunched up under the tongue of the shoe for a couple of runs.
        vicentefrijole

Your shoes most likely are tied too tight. Your shoes should be a bit loose on your feet when tied.
          I agree... I used to tie my shoes really tight (liked the snug feeling, I guess) until I ended up with some bruising and swelling from all the rubbing of the laces on my tendons... since then I've tied them a lot looser (it took a little while to get used to) and I haven't had any problems. Also, if you've got two sets of holes (side by side) at the very top (most shoes do), use the narrowest set... I've heard from a reliable source (a running-specialty store owner and running enthusiast) that the widest holes are useless and may actually cause problems. Big grin
          Wingz

Professional Noob

And don't forget, your feet swell some while running, so the shoes you thought were "normally" laced are now tight because your FEET are bigger! Roll eyes

Roads were made for journeys...

Also, if you've got two sets of holes (side by side) at the very top (most shoes do), use the narrowest set... I've heard from a reliable source (a running-specialty store owner and running enthusiast) that the widest holes are useless and may actually cause problems. Big grin
              A bit off topic, but I've always understood that the side-by-side holes at the top of the shoes were to facilitate a lace-lock technique. See http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm. I use this lacing technique on certain pairs of shoes to help keep my heel from slipping forward without having to tie the rest of the laces too tightly.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

vicentefrijole

A bit off topic, but I've always understood that the side-by-side holes at the top of the shoes were to facilitate a lace-lock technique. See http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/locklacing.htm. I use this lacing technique on certain pairs of shoes to help keep my heel from slipping forward without having to tie the rest of the laces too tightly.
                That seems reasonable... I withdraw my criticism of the side-by-side holes! Big grin (But I still think they're best avoided for your standard lacing method.)