Why do we do it? (Read 425 times)

Kings Canyon NP 07'

As the year ends, we can look back over the previous 12-month with hopefully a feeling of pride and accomplishment. Here are things for runners to remember 2007: I see two toe's that had black nails, now they have none! A closet full of dead shoes! Trunk full of old socks Boxes of Gu and Hammerhead Half empty cans of Gookinaid and Cytomax A ton of race shirts. (some good, some bad) Four Finishers medals (2 HM 2 FM) A PR set at CIM in December A PR set at the San Jose Rock n Half in October As the year ends it is time to look forward to 2008, and plan another year of lost toe nails, cramped legs, many trips to REI or the running store. But when we pass on the trail and nod at each other in the rain and cold we know one thing: This feels great.

left-right-left-right-repeat

This feels great.
      Indeed it does. I had a wonderful year in 2007 but I'm expecting better, and willing to earn it, in 2008.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

As the year ends, we can look back over the previous 12-month with hopefully a feeling of pride and accomplishment.
        I agree. I didn't finish, or even run, a marathon. Set no PRs, had no toenails fall off.. But, after 9 years of not running seriously, I started back up training. My husband and I decided we needed to get back in shape. We needed a goal. So, we started running again. We were, in essence, running n00bies again. WIth dismay, I realized I couldn't run the 9:30-10:00 pace, that sometimes I had to (gasp!) walk. And now I have to flop in bed for the better part of the day if we go any distance over 16 miles! So I ran 6 miles, for the first time--in 9 years And 10, and 13, and 15 and 18. And 26.2 in January 08. Wink
        Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."