Zwift, anyone? (Read 224 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used Ant+, Garmin FootPod, HRM and  910XT watch with dumb TM couple of weeks ago - took me few minutes to make it work. Worked fine but I will not be using it again - not sure what the purpose of it - the whole experience of checking that man running on a computer made me feel even worse than just plain running on a TM (which is pretty bad too). I could see some value when using Zwift fr runners with a smart TM - changing incline, decline, speed, but for a dumb TM it is totally useless just adding to excruciating boredom, imho...

Yeah, with my free-from-a-friend basic TM I'm not feeling like it will be as appealing as the bike version with smart trainer and a lot more people to ride "with." And when am I going to watch Drunk History, SNL, Seth Meyers, X-Files, Harlots, or Shut Eye (the shows I tend to take in from the dreadmill or nowhere bike)...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm...somewhere a ball is being dropped between Strava and Garmin Connect. I can get a workout to upload from Wahoo to Strava and from Connect to RA. I just had to manually upload my workout file from the Wahoo trainer to Connect. I wonder if things will work more smoothly once I'm actually using Zwift. It looks like I can directly connect to Connect from Zwift...?

~ Sarah Kay

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I've used Zwift on my treadmill quite a bit over the last year, maxed at level 21, wahoo!. 

Sensors have to be bluetooth unless you can setup a bridge or adapter. Personally, I've used Stryd (also paired to watch via ANT+) and a Polar HRM. The cheapest way would probably be to use Zwift's runpod (issued after they bought Milestone). There are some bluetooth-capable treadmills that send pace/distance info, but there's no way for Zwift to control a treadmill like it can a bike trainer.

Mostly I've used Zwift as it keeps running power data when synced to Strava. Strava hides (but doesn't remove) this data when a run is synced from Garmin Connect or another platform.

I'll almost certainly drop it when they end the beta program, supposedly at the end of the year, and start charging for it like they do the biking portion. Without it being able to control a treadmill to actually simulate a course or help execute a workout there's no real value to it for me. And Zwift controlling a treadmill is a VERY long way away thanks to all of the potential liability issues stemming from it.

zoom-zoom, a Scosche Rhythm+ or 24 (the newer version) will likely be the best answer to your HRM issue, and the latter may even work with Zwift as a footpod as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've used Zwift on my treadmill quite a bit over the last year, maxed at level 21, wahoo!. 

Sensors have to be bluetooth unless you can setup a bridge or adapter. Personally, I've used Stryd (also paired to watch via ANT+) and a Polar HRM. The cheapest way would probably be to use Zwift's runpod (issued after they bought Milestone). There are some bluetooth-capable treadmills that send pace/distance info, but there's no way for Zwift to control a treadmill like it can a bike trainer.

Mostly I've used Zwift as it keeps running power data when synced to Strava. Strava hides (but doesn't remove) this data when a run is synced from Garmin Connect or another platform.

I'll almost certainly drop it when they end the beta program, supposedly at the end of the year, and start charging for it like they do the biking portion. Without it being able to control a treadmill to actually simulate a course or help execute a workout there's no real value to it for me. And Zwift controlling a treadmill is a VERY long way away thanks to all of the potential liability issues stemming from it.

zoom-zoom, a Scosche Rhythm+ or 24 (the newer version) will likely be the best answer to your HRM issue, and the latter may even work with Zwift as a footpod as well.

Cool, the Scosche 24 is pretty much what I've been thinking is the most obvious choice. I'm guessing an Apple watch wouldn't work for HRM/cadence/pace, huh?

So are you going from Zwift to Strava to Connect to RA? I've done a couple of workouts with my Wahoo trainer, which plays with Strava. Then, in theory, I have Strava connected to Connect, but for some reason workouts haven't been progressing from Strava to Connect, so I've had to manually upload the files to Connect, then they populate on RA without issue. I thought I read that Zwift will play nice with Connect, so that would be ideal. I'll still be using my Garmin Edge for outdoor rides. If I use an Apple watch for Zwift treadmill runs, then I think those would go through right through Zwift to Connect to RA...?

Sheesh, so much for simple sports. I think I've suddenly made things ridiculously overcomplicated. But it beats dealing with snowbanks and ice all Winter long.

~ Sarah Kay

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Cool, the Scosche 24 is pretty much what I've been thinking is the most obvious choice. I'm guessing an Apple watch wouldn't work for HRM/cadence/pace, huh?

So are you going from Zwift to Strava to Connect to RA? I've done a couple of workouts with my Wahoo trainer, which plays with Strava. Then, in theory, I have Strava connected to Connect, but for some reason workouts haven't been progressing from Strava to Connect, so I've had to manually upload the files to Connect, then they populate on RA without issue. I thought I read that Zwift will play nice with Connect, so that would be ideal. I'll still be using my Garmin Edge for outdoor rides. If I use an Apple watch for Zwift treadmill runs, then I think those would go through right through Zwift to Connect to RA...?

Sheesh, so much for simple sports. I think I've suddenly made things ridiculously overcomplicated. But it beats dealing with snowbanks and ice all Winter long.

I haven't heard anything about any flavor of the Apple watch broadcasting HR/cadence/pace info on any protocol, so I'm certain that's out.

I have my data go from Garmin Connect to everything else (Strava, RA) in most cases. Treadmill runs I upload from Zwift to Strava, only because of the display of running power data. The run saved from my watch is what shows up on RA.  For duplicated activities, such as recording a run with my watch and Zwift, Strava only takes the first upload.

There is an option to upload directly from Zwift to Connect, which would allow a run/ride to go from Zwift>Connect> RA & Strava. One or the other of Garmin or Strava (I'd start with Strava) should be able to help troubleshoot the lack of sync from Strava to Connect, though.

Now that I've probably thoroughly confused you on this topic, I'll move on to orbital navigation.... 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha! Well, we can land a camera on Mars, so this should be pretty simple, by comparison. Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just did my first Zwift ride...that was fun! It's going to be REALLY hard this Winter to make myself run outdoors or on the dreadmill.

The only issue I ran into was that my workout sync'd to Garmin with 0 issue, but didn't forward to RA. Is there a trick with getting Zwift workouts to continue beyond Garmin?

I was able to get my Garmin Vivoactive HR to broadcast my HR to Zwift, too, which was convenient, though I'll soon be passing the Garmin off to my kid. I assume an Apple watch will broadcast, as well. Probably makes the most sense to eventually look into the Scosche armband to save on the Apple watch battery.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I manually uploaded and am now laughing at the Zwift recorded "weather." I dream of humid and 85, right now!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Still can't figure out how Zwift workouts end up on Garmin, but won't find their way to RA.

Also, how does one do a ride on Zwift without blowing oneself up? Is there a way to see average MPH (instead of only current?), to better pace/rein myself in?

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I've just started to use Zwift (bike only) this week.  I'm using a Wahoo Kickr Core + Apple TV + Garmin Forerunner 735xt.

While all this technology is super cool, all of the different devices kind of makes my head spin.  Apparently I still need to get a cadence sensor, which I think will pair with my watch and broadcast my heart rate to Zwift?  Maybe?

Right now Zwift automatically uploads to my Strava via the app.  My Garmin (which I am really only using for HR right now since I don't have the cadence/speed sensor yet) uploads to Garmin Connect/Strava/RunningAhead automatically.  So I have to delete one of my Strava workouts every time.

I've only done two workouts with Zwift now, but I have to say it was pretty cool.  I do wonder if the novelty of it will wear off.  Any long term users want to chime in?

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Also, how does one do a ride on Zwift without blowing oneself up? Is there a way to see average MPH (instead of only current?), to better pace/rein myself in?

I also have the same questions!  It would be really nice to see my average mph, especially when climbing a damn mountain and being stuck at 4mph for forever like I did last night.

Running is dumb.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've only done two workouts with Zwift now, but I have to say it was pretty cool.  I do wonder if the novelty of it will wear off.  Any long term users want to chime in?

What sold me was how much my DH has still wanted to use Zwift...sometimes even when it's perfectly nice outside. We have nearly no hills to ride, short of driving an hour away. He can get a hill workout in at any time. I have to ask him again how many miles he's done on Zwift in the past year, but I think it was 2k, maybe...? He's had it at least a year. The smart trainer makes all the difference. Prior he was using a direct drive trainer with power pedals.

It helps that Zwift keeps adding locations and new features. They really work to keep anyone from getting bored. And it's cool that any time of the day or night there are people riding. Last night there were lots of Americans and Canadians...and lots of Asians, Australians, and Kiwis doing their early AM workouts while we were doing evening workouts. If I start doing afternoon rides I'll get to ride with Europeans doing their evening workouts.

How is the Apple TV working for you? We're 99% certain that's what I'll end up with. Right now I'm using the dedicated computer in the basement and DH is using his laptop...but after Christmas he'll go back to his desktop set-up and I'll switch to my own.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I also have the same questions!  It would be really nice to see my average mph, especially when climbing a damn mountain and being stuck at 4mph for forever like I did last night.

Last night I forced myself to stop chasing people and keep myself at a reasonable effort. I felt a bit less shelled, this AM. I really think this will keep me from doing minimal, low-effort mileage all Winter and then having to work so hard to build up to strength for Spring races. Now 50 miles or more/week doesn't seem like it will make me want to stab myself in the eye.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This is a neat new feature...the ability to set-up meet-ups with one's existing Zwift user friends. Might be fun to have some RA rides, in the future. I think the way these work is that everyone in a group is kept together -- no drops.

~ Sarah Kay

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What sold me was how much my DH has still wanted to use Zwift...sometimes even when it's perfectly nice outside. We have nearly no hills to ride, short of driving an hour away. He can get a hill workout in at any time. I have to ask him again how many miles he's done on Zwift in the past year, but I think it was 2k, maybe...? He's had it at least a year. The smart trainer makes all the difference. Prior he was using a direct drive trainer with power pedals.

How is the Apple TV working for you? We're 99% certain that's what I'll end up with. Right now I'm using the dedicated computer in the basement and DH is using his laptop...but after Christmas he'll go back to his desktop set-up and I'll switch to my own.

I do not have the lack of hills problem like you guys do in the mitten state!  But that's really good to hear that your husband is still enthusiastic about it a year later.  All I need it for is November - sometime in March.  Getting through the winter without going crazy is always the goal!

The Apple TV has been great so far.  No lag or issues or whatever.  It's easy to use, aside from the stupid remote.

MTA: I'm down with a RA ride sometime, although how would that work with different speeds?  I'm slow as hell.

Running is dumb.