NC Senior Games RR (warning - way too long) - short version included (Read 96 times)

No more marathons

Short version – competed in the NC Senior games, looking for qualifying to next year’s National Games in Minneapolis.  Got first in 1500, second in 5000 and fourth in the 800 – qualifying in all.  Woo Hoo.

Long version 

My journey to the senior games began after completing a somewhat life time goal of running the Boston Marathon.  Long runs done I thought it would be interesting to switch gears and go to the other end of the running spectrum – good idea, bad execution.  Making a long story a bit shorter, too much speed, too soon led to a nearly 4 month long injury.  Wasn’t sure until about a week ago if I could even compete this week at the Senior Games.  A pain in my glute and hamstring prevented all but the easiest runs until one week ago.  Felt sure I had lost whatever speed I had, but with not being able to test it out for fear of reinjury,  I went into the games with the goal of getting a fourth place in each of my three events – just enough to get me to the National games next year.  Now, this wasn’t for the most part, going to be that much of a challenge.  The 800 and the 1500 only had 5 in my age group, so I just needed to best one.  The 5K would be a bit more challenging with nine in my age.

Just to give a little history, the entry into the various State Senior Games is dependent on competition in various local games.  In my case, I ran virtually unchallenged in my age group (60-64) with a 22:00 in the 5K, a 2:57 in the 800, and 5:53 in the 1500.  With those times, based on past years at the NC games, I was assured of at least second, if not first in each of the events.  My plan was to improve on those times, so I hired a coach and we worked up a training plan.  That plan was put on hold before it ever got started with an injury semi diagnosed by a PT as possible ITBS, and then later by Dr. Google and various strangers in running forums as either piriformis syndrome or high hamstring tendinopathy.

After posting my woes in these venerable forums, LRB provided a link to some drills/exercises that are designed to help with injuries of this sort - and within three days my pain lessened and I could add a little pace to my shuffling.  Since I don't believe in coincidences - all hail the LRB.  And two weeks later I felt I could give my all at the meet - whatever that "all" was.

Day one included what should be my best and worst event;  the 5K and the 800.  The 5K was to be run in three heats.  The first heat was all females, ages 50 to 91.  Yes, there was a 91 year young woman on the track.  Her finishing time was a little over an hour.  Wish I had gotten some pictures.  This heat was won overall by a 56 year old in 24:32.   But the time of the heat was turned in by 81 year young Dot who set a meet record for the 80-84 set with a time of 38:35, breaking the previous record by more than 4 minutes. 

Next up were two heats of the men - the first heat was those 65 and older.  I'm glad I wasn't in the 65 to 69 age group yet because there were a couple of good times produced here, including a meet record 20:15, beating a 20:21 that stood since 2009.  Next up was the youngsters (yep, at 63 I'm in that group).  There was a total of 19 in this group, ranging in age from 54 to 66 (that included a few from the older groups to even the totals out).  The overall winner was Mike from my home town in 19:35.  I managed a 22:19, fifth overall and 2nd in the 60 - 64 age group.  The time was well off of my qualifying time back in May, and even further off of my road PR of 21:02 set at the end of May, but with the lack of training over the summer, this was acceptable.  And with one race down I had my first nationals qualifier.  Yea.  And more importantly, a documented floater.

A previously thought extinct floater.

Previously thought extinct floater

The next event, about 45 minutes later, was the 800.  I have no business running anything this short, but fortunately one of those registered for the event did not show so I was guaranteed a nationals  qualifying finish (top 4).  Good thing, because I was dead last in my heat, and my age group, at 3:02.  The highlight of this event was the meet record set by a 70 year old;  2:36.  Wow.

Done for the day, DW and I headed back to the hotel for some rest before meeting up with DS (an NC State senior) for dinner at Gravy's.  If you visit Raleigh this is a good place to eat.

Day 2 was to be the event I wanted to focus the most on at the beginning of the summer, the 1500.  My last serious workout before my injury was a mile time trial in 6:11.  I had passed the 1500 mark at 5:42.  My goal was to take 6 seconds off of this to reach that ever elusive 80% age grading mark.  I figured this was my best chance at that (it would take close to a 20 minute flat 5K).  With no ability to train over the summer my goal here was just to qualify - and that turned out to be rather simple.  I guess in the 7th decade of life, the war of attrition takes over.  Of the five that were originally signed up for this event in my age group only one other made it to day two.  And he said he had sprained his ankle the day before (in the 400) and was running today because his grandkids were here and he wanted to teach them the lesson that you don't quit just because you are a little injured.  Nice.

Anyway, my 6:02 got me a gold medal (and another floater) and my third qualifying event for next years National Senior Games.

A second floater - can't get too much of a good thing. 

Tattoo floater

A gold medal awarded by one of the Durham Diva's was the capping of the day.

Durham Diva award

If you made it this far, get a life.  But thanks for reading.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

great report! Congratulations!! And thank you for providing me with my new long-term life goal (to be racing on the track in...let me see...2066.)

LRB

So youre headed to the nationals next year, that's pretty heavy stuff regardless of the age.  Congrats!

AutBatgirl

Short version – competed in the NC Senior games, looking for qualifying to next year’s National Games in Minneapolis.  Got first in 1500, second in 5000 and fourth in the 800 – qualifying in all.  Woo Hoo.

That's awesome! Great job!!

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

muppy

Very nice job, congratiitulations!

Cyberic

Congratulations Still Bluesky, nice racing

Docket_Rocket

Damn!  Congratulations!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

No more marathons

great report! Congratulations!! And thank you for providing me with my new long-term life goal (to be racing on the track in...let me see...2066.)

You should have seen the two ladies in their 90's in the 100 meter dash.

Inspiring.

He's a leaker!

Goorun

Very cool bluesky. That is some good running by you and others.

Train smart for those Nationals next year. I'll be in the same AG next month and trying to do too much speed work always gets me in the trouble . What helps me is working on my core strength . I probably couldn't run much without it.

Nice pics too. You look good for an old guy. 

Slow and steady never wins anything.

No more marathons

Very cool bluesky. That is some good running by you and others.

Train smart for those Nationals next year. I'll be in the same AG next month and trying to do too much speed work always gets me in the trouble . What helps me is working on my core strength . I probably couldn't run much without it.

Nice pics too. You look good for an old guy. 

Thanks Goo.  Having been relatively free of injury and a scoffer of needing to do anything besides putting one foot in front of the other, this setback this summer convinced me of the need to do something in the way of drills and other exercises.  I don't do much, but I figure anything is better than nothing.  Have included doing some plank work as well as the stuff for my hip/glute/hamstring.

The senior games has a broad range of activities beyond just track and field, and doesn't seem to attract (with a few exceptions) the very top tier of senior athletes, but once you drop down a few positions, the competition is pretty intense.  For instance, both the last Senior Nations in 2013, and this last summer's USATF Masters at Wake Forest had 10 runners in the 60-64 age group run under 6:00 for the 1500.  The difference was that the USATF meet had 3 under 5:00, and the Senior Games had none.  And as an exception to the rule, in the men's 55, the top finisher's time at USATF would have finished third at the Senior Games.

I have no illusions of a podium finish in either the 5000 or the 1500 next year, but it does give me a goal to shoot for.  Right now, a top 5 finish seems reasonable - but like you say - that will require smart training.  Having never run track before, this will be a whole new experience.

He's a leaker!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Still Bluesky!  Ya done great!

As you know, I'm in a similar situation as you, but I wouldn't have given you competition on that track!  WTG!  Have a great time at nationals!

No more marathons

Congratulations Still Bluesky!  Ya done great!

As you know, I'm in a similar situation as you, but I wouldn't have given you competition on that track!  WTG!  Have a great time at nationals!

Thanks LL - it was actually a lot of fun.  Looking forward to the national games next July.  Are you planning on going?

He's a leaker!