Speaking of iPods...earphones? (Read 1189 times)

I thought the iPod headphones were pretty good until I tried a friend's Bose, over-the-ear, noise canceling headphones. Wow. Of course those wouldn't work for running. I'd be eager to try the new Bose earbuds but they are $100 and I have just spent enough money for a while. That, plus I rarely run with my iPod. 90% of the time I spend listening to it is in the car. Hijack, but my new car has a mini-stereo (headphone) jack on the dash for a nice, clean way to hook up and use the iPod over the car's speakers. I bought a $9 cable and that's it. I'm rockin. That is the single coolest feature of my new car and seems so simple I can't believe it has not been standard equipment on all new cars before now. It's sort of like when the Post Office started selling the self-adhesive stamps and it was as if it was a revolutionary idea and they congratulated themselves for about 2 years over it. Yet all it was was a sticker--like the ones that had come on every banana we had ever eaten since we were 2 years old.

Runners run

Now that was a bath...

I run with the ipod earbud headphones and I have never had a problem with them slipping out. Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hijack, but my new car has a mini-stereo (headphone) jack on the dash for a nice, clean way to hook up and use the iPod over the car's speakers. I bought a $9 cable and that's it. I'm rockin. That is the single coolest feature of my new car and seems so simple I can't believe it has not been standard equipment on all new cars before now. It's sort of like when the Post Office started selling the self-adhesive stamps and it was as if it was a revolutionary idea and they congratulated themselves for about 2 years over it. Yet all it was was a sticker--like the ones that had come on every banana we had ever eaten since we were 2 years old.
        Man, that is the ONE criticism we have of our Mazda 3. It's a car that is sort of aimed at 20 and 30-somethings, too, so one would think that an Mp3 jack would be standard. We could hook it up to work directly with the iPod, but it would involve taking a section of the dash apart and I am NOT keen on that idea...who knows what warranty items that might make null and void. I think we may look at one of those kits that run an FM signal. Though I'm so used to burning CDs that I don't mind that, either. We have an in-dash 6 disc changer, so we might as well keep using that. Oh, and that stamp thing...when I bought stamps for my cards the postal worker and I were discussing that. I wish they would have had those around when DH and I got married--putting stamps on all those invites and RSVP cards was a major PITA! Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I run with the ipod earbud headphones and I have never had a problem with them slipping out. Claire xxx
          I just ran with mine...they stayed in OK, but I did have to keep pressing the right one in. The slack also kept bugging me as it swung around. And I could hear the noise of the cables rubbing on the zipper of my jacket as I run...that was annoying. I do like that I can hear a lot of external sound through them, though. BTW, Mikey, what kind of car did you just get? I LOVE new cars! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

A 2007 Civic EX. I went small time. Though the new Civic is so far from what I used to think of as a Civic it's really amazing. For about 2 years I've been saying that when my Jetta died I was buying an Accord. We have a Pilot as my wife's car and I've always had good luck with Honda cars. But when the time came I decided a.) I like the look of the new Civic better, b.) I don't need the extra space and c.) The extra ~20 hp would be wasted as I sit in traffic during my daily 13 mile slogfest. Then I saw that headphone jack and the deal was sealed. No need for the 6 disk changer or XM radio or anything else. I like the car a lot.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The 2006 Civic would have been our second choice. Up until this Spring my hubby's car was an '89 Civic Si hatch. Awesome little beast. The Civic was as nice as the 3 in most ways, but less cargo flexibility than the 3 5 door and the driver's seat was not nearly as customizable--important when the two drivers are 6'2" 240#s and 5'3.5" 140#s. Hubby didn't really like the gauge cluster area of the dash. Plus the 3 has zoom-zoom. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I now wear Sennheiser mx75s (I think) they are obnoxiously green and they clash with my i-pod Wink but they fit great and have good sound quality - even better, they have a 2 yr warranty, so if they decide they dont want to work anymore I'll be sending em back to Sennheiser for a replacement
                I ordered these from Amazon and can't wait to try them. I generally read very good reviews for them in terms of fit and quality, as well as sweat-proofness. I also like that they will clash with my fuscia Nano! I'm all about wildly complementary colors (photography geek)! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

LydiaT

I'm sold. I just order Sennheiser mx75s too. I've been looking for something that works for so long. I can't wait until these get here.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Lydia, we will have to post updates once we've had a chance to try them. The only negative reviews I really read about them in terms of fit were from guys with larger ears...and in most cases these individuals had said that they have never found any earbuds that work for them. Sounds a bit like they work particularly well for women and those with smaller ears...ie me. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

LydiaT

That would be me too. I just finished a run with earbuds I bought in November. The sound quality is great but the only way I can keep them in my ears is by wearing a headband. This is no problem in the winter! but will look silly in july.
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had thought about those Sennheisers with the ear loop, too, but I'm not sure how those would work with sunglasses, and since I run with shades much of the time I didn't want to have to choose between music and eye protection. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The jury is in...those Sennheiser MX75s are awesome! I ran 10 miles with them in on Sunday and they didn't move at all. I was actually able to stop pushing my earphones in snugger every quarter mile or so, which was a real treat! And the funny thing is that the top little leg thingy doesn't even appear to fit my small ears correctly, but the buds themselves and the little silicone rings really make for a good, snug fit. Sound is better than the stock Apple buds, too, yet I can still hear ambient noise...cars, dogs, my feet plodding along... k

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Well, upon your recommendation I just purchased the Sennheiser MX75 earphones. I am really excited as the ones with my shuffle are rather bothersome. (I accidentally stepped on one earbud when I was wrestling my dog to go for our run and now it is slightly static-ky when my head is tilted.) This will be better. Thanks for the detailed report. Smile J
                            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope they work for you, too. I had my doubts, since I never had luck with earbuds in the past, but these just seem to be designed better. I kinda like the contrast of that poison green against my fuscia pink Nano, too! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

I'm going to give the Sennheiser MX75 earphones a try, too since I dunked my earbuds in coffee and they don't sound so good any more..... Roll eyes

Robin