What fuel belt do you use and why do you like it? (Read 3337 times)

I am in the market for a fuel belt, I need it also to carry my "stuff" (keys and phone). I read some reviews on Roadrunnersports.com and some seem to like the belts with the smaller bottles vs the larger ones due to less "flopping around". I am eyeing this one (or something similar if I can find it in a store): http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRU1003/ Show me what you use and tell me why you like it! I'm sure there are factors I haven't considered! If it matters, I am training for a HM and don't really plan to do anything longer than that in the near future!
    ---- Cynthia

My wife has a fuel belt brand belt that has similar bottles to the ones you have in your link, but neither of us like it. They leak and flop around. Since I've started doing long trail runs, I carry a nathan water bottle (first link w/a pic that I found) that has a small pouch and works out pretty well. I used that when I ran my trail 50k last September. I also have a North Face camel-bak style backpack, which I've used once so far and it was fine.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

My wife has a fuel belt brand belt that has similar bottles to the ones you have in your link, but neither of us like it. They leak and flop around. Since I've started doing long trail runs, I carry a nathan water bottle (first link w/a pic that I found) that has a small pouch and works out pretty well. I used that when I ran my trail 50k last September. I also have a North Face camel-bak style backpack, which I've used once so far and it was fine.
        Blaine, what do you clip the Nathan water bottle to? Does it come with a belt? My hubby has a camelback and the one time I tried it it rubbed my armpit raw, of course, that was when I was wearing a tank in the middle of summer so I imagine right now it wouldn't be too bad.
        ---- Cynthia
        btb1490

The one you are looking at from RRS got some good reviews, I'm sure it'll get the job done. I personally use the Amphipod system. http://www.amphipod.com/overview/overview.html The thing I like about them is that the system is modular and has a lot of flexibility with what you can do with it. You can add or subtract whatever bottles/accessories you like to suit your needs, and there are TONS of accessories you can get for it. You can put your bottles upright, sideways, upsidedown, position them wherever you want on the belt, as well as all the accessories. I don't have a problem with fit or bouncing like I had with the Fuel Belt system that I used previously. The one thing that took practice however was the method they use to clip the bottles into the belt. The best way to describe it is that the bottles "snap" into a clip, and it requires that they get put in rather precisely in order to snap in. It didn't take long to get the hang of it though. Are you sure that 2 -10oz bottles will be enough water for your longer training runs? Good luck with your decision!
          t_runner

I have the Nathan water bottle Blaine uses, and a Northface pack also. I mostly got the backpack for long hikes with my dog, but I have taken it on a few long runs, but only in the cooler weather, so I didn't notice any chafing. I got the "Catshark" model, which is 75 oz and supposed to be women specific fit. It is really handy, all the stuff you can keep in there. I got annoyed with the Fuel belt after using it to train for my first marathon, it bounced around, leaked, and I just felt like a pack mule when I went out. For a while after that, I wouldn't carry anything, I would just circle back to my car for a drink when I needed it. I got the Nathan water bottle when I was running a trail marathon with few & far between water stops, and I really love it now. I think the pouch would be enough to hold keys & phone, as long as both were on the small side. For the Nathan bottle, I don't clip it anywhere, I just hold it - it has the webbing so your hand is cupped naturally and supporting it. It's not nearly as annoying as it sounds to run with it. MTA - here's the North Face pack . And it's actually only 70 oz.
              I use the Amphipod full-tilt. I like it because it fits nice and snug in my lower back (no sloshing), and the pouch is large enough to hold cell phone, money, key, etc without bulging.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

I looked at the Amphiphods at the running store last weekend. They did have one I liked that sits at the lower back area, I thought that would be nice since it is all out of the way, although I am not sure which one it is on that page. I am glad to hear some good reviews on it, since it is one I can just go buy at a brick & mortar.
                ---- Cynthia
                  I have an amphipod belt with snapflasks. I like this but, it can be easy to lose one of the flasks if they're not clipped on all the way. Luckily, the replacements aren't that expensive. I've been looking at new fuel belts where the flask actually sits in a pocket and I don't have to worry about clipping it on.
                  "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
                    After trying out several ... this is what I've finally settled on. There's room for my cell phone and a couple of GUs. I also like how I can do 6 bottles water, 2 bottles gatorade.
                    2009: BQ?
                      After trying out several ... this is what I've finally settled on. There's room for my cell phone and a couple of GUs. I also like how I can do 6 bottles water, 2 bottles gatorade.
                      I love that website! They have lots of neat stuff, I especially like the Dog Leash Belt Hook! http://www.fuelbelt.com/outdoor/dog.html
                      ---- Cynthia

Me and my gang in Breck

http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/2_bottle.html;jsessionid=ac112b791f435c34f20db2a4468eb306ab4d2e410c8b.e3eTaxeKbh0Te34Pa38Ta38Qa3v0 I use the 2 bottle fuel belt. It has a small pouch for a cell phone and keys. I like it and 20 ozs of fluid is just enough for me for a 2 hour long run in the woods in the summer. If your gonna be going real far for a long time in the heat you should get more than 2-10ozs bottles.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Blaine, what do you clip the Nathan water bottle to? Does it come with a belt?
                          It's hand held. The strap goes around the back of your hand, so you don't have to actually grip the bottle to hold onto it while you are running. I just swap it from hand to hand every mile or two.

Run to Win
                          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

It's hand held. The strap goes around the back of your hand, so you don't have to actually grip the bottle to hold onto it while you are running. I just swap it from hand to hand every mile or two.
                            I always thought a hand held bottle would be annoying to carry ... nope! I use a 16 oz one on shorter runs in hot weather. Plus -- most have a little velcro pocket where you can stash your key.
                            2009: BQ?
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use the Amphipod full-tilt. I like it because it fits nice and snug in my lower back (no sloshing), and the pouch is large enough to hold cell phone, money, key, etc without bulging.
                              *ditto* I have that with the 2 additional 10.5oz bottles to attach to the belt. It's awesome in the summer...I put Gatorade in the main 20oz. bottle and water in the smaller bottles. In a 2+ hour run I can drink all 3. Nice to not have to choose between water or sports drink, since I can have both. And the pouch on the back holds my phone and inhaler. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I have a Camelback. It's one of the waist worn models, holds about 48 oz. of liquid, plus a pouch that has held my keys, phone, wallet, and cash. Never had a problem with it. I did get two of the 8 oz. Fuel Belt bottles, and put them on there for stuff other than water.