Tips for preventing bowel movement during distance races (Read 475 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That would suck.

FTFY  ;-)

Never tried Imodium.  A couple of slugs of hot coffee will generally get things going for me.  I will have to try Imodium on some long runs and see what happens.  I don't want to lock up the works for a couple of days after or anything.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I always pop a couple of Pepto-Bismol capsules the morning of a longer distance race.  I've never not done that, so I don't have a control to base that experience on, but I haven't had any bad experiences yet, with either sickness or just plain needing to "go."

Plus, as compared to my long training runs, it also seems to keep the, uh, "exhaust fumes" down.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Pre-race enema might do the trick, if the coffee doesn't help. I took it last week before the race, because I was not happy with my morning poo that day Embarrassed.  I'm familiar with it of course, it was not the first time I took it, but never before the race. I got the idea here on RA, actually Smile.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Someone told me not to take an enema, as it could exhaust me or something........

I kind of think I would be more comfortable with pepto-bismol (capsules maybe?) than immodium.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

It never exhausts me, in fact after it's done I always feel totally normal. But I would not recommend to do it before the race if you have never done it before.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I won't try it this time, but maybe during a race that I am just planning on finishing and not PRing.... I'd hate to find out the hard way that it was a bad idea for me lol.

It never exhausts me, in fact after it's done I always feel totally normal. But I would not recommend to do it before the race if you have never done it before.

PRs

I always pop a couple of Pepto-Bismol capsules the morning of a longer distance race.  I've never not done that, so I don't have a control to base that experience on, but I haven't had any bad experiences yet, with either sickness or just plain needing to "go."

Plus, as compared to my long training runs, it also seems to keep the, uh, "exhaust fumes" down.

Why is it only "race"?  When you go for a long run (race distance), aren't you equally worried about what might happen?

Anytime I'm out for a long run or a long bike ride, I prepare.

I have had a couple of bad runs... training runs, that is.

After that, a little research guided me to my strategy.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

For me, though I like to use training runs to test new things for a race, but I am not so strict during a training run as I am during a race. I've got no problem stopping in the woods or some bushes or a cornfield during a training run, but I do not want to have to stop during a race. Probably doesn't make much sense to some Smile

Why is it only "race"?  When you go for a long run (race distance), aren't you equally worried about what might happen?

I have had a couple of bad runs... training runs, that is.

After that, a little research guided me to my strategy.

PRs

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

*shrugs*  Eh, maybe I should.  It's just that it wouldn't be as emotionally devastating if it happened on a training run as it would if I were shooting for a PR in a goal race.

...and also, the "exhaust fumes" aren't as embarrassing when it's just me and the cows out there!  JokingBig grin

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bhearn

Pre-race enema might do the trick, if the coffee doesn't help. I took it last week before the race, because I was not happy with my morning poo that day Embarrassed.  I'm familiar with it of course, it was not the first time I took it, but never before the race. I got the idea here on RA, actually Smile.

For that extra boost in a race, maybe this is the way to go.

Lovely Big grin.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Looks like you're well stocked.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

When all else fails, chant, "Sphincter, don't fail me now!" over and over again. That's what I did the other day. It was close, but I got home. Living and running in suburbia, I don't have the luxury of making an emergency stop in the woods.

I'm learning from this thread that I should have that coffee in the morning. Usually I have just woken up, tried to go, and then hit the road, whether I "produce" or not. Thanks!

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Good gosh I cannot say that word with a straight face: Sphincter Big grin

PRs

SillyC

When all else fails, chant, "Sphincter, don't fail me now!" over and over again. That's what I did the other day. It was close, but I got home. Living and running in suburbia, I don't have the luxury of making an emergency stop in the woods.

Don't you know where the foreclosed / vacant houses are by now?

Also, I'd like to mention that I live 1.2 miles from a McDonalds,  1.8 miles from Dunkin Donuts, 3.2 miles from Wendys, and 3.6 miles from a different Dunkin Donuts.  I chose my routes wisely.