y'all, I need new headphones (Read 2590 times)

ilp

I'm super disappointed with Sennheiser. The quality is just garbage, at least for the money charged. The newest headphones they have that are "Adidas branded" are good at staying in-ear with those "ear wings" or whatever, but the connector quality sucks (if you run with, say, a phone in the pocket--mine broke within a month). The sound quality is just meh, too.

The other problem w/ the new Sennheiser "athletic phones" is that the cord length sucks. The cord is too short. If you clip the headphones to your shirt collar (so they don't bounce around), unless you are a shorter torso person (i.e. most likely a girl), you won't be able to clip, say, a shuffle to the bottom of your shirt--and forget about putting it in your pocket. The cord extender with the built-in volume control is a pain in the ass to use--because of the base cord's short length, there is no good place to clip the volume control piece--and so it ends up bouncing around and becomes annoying/uncomfortable.

Basically, Sennheiser really dropped the ball on the whole "design" part.

So as much as I hate giving money to Bose, I did drop a hundred bucks on the Bose IE2, and the verdict is that the Bose IE2 are the best running headphones right now. The cord length is plenty long that I can clip them to shirt collar and have my iPod attached to either my shirt or plug it into my phone in my pocket. I am 5'11" average torso/leg proportion. The sound quality is definitely better than the Sennheisers, though you don't get that deep deep bass. On the other hand, someone might say that the bass is not over-exaggerated. You can also hear a lot more through these phones, which makes them a safer street headphone. And they stay in your ears.

MrH

Meh ... my Phillips pair are no longer working in one ear.

What do folks recommend for runners who sweat so much they look like an extra in Cool Hand Luke.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

I bought the yurbuds and like them. So far, no issues with sweat. Most other buds I've used either fall out when my ears fill with sweat, or they start to sound like they're under water.

Cool Jump Suit

Meh ... my Phillips pair are no longer working in one ear.

What do folks recommend for runners who sweat so much they look like an extra in Cool Hand Luke.

My Sennheiser ones won't play in one ear.....I think due to excessive sweating.  More 'Body Heat' style though than 'Cool Hand Luke'.  But I just bought a pair of Phillips that are supposed to be waterproof.  We shall see.

So bittersweet,
          This tragedy
          Won't ask for absolution;
          This melody,
          Inside of me,
          Still searches for solution.
          A twist of faith,
          A change of heart
          Cures my infatuation.
          A broken heart, 
          Provides the spark
          For my determination.

seeEricaRun

Awesome

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to LOVE the Sennheiser sport models and generally got a solid year+ out of a pair with heavy use.  My sweat wouldn't kill them and I could saturate them in a sink of hot, soapy water to clean them when sweat and sunblock made them horrifically gross.  I went through probably 3 different generations and really liked them all.  Then they added the Adidas branding and quality started to suck.  I think they stopped making models with iPhone controls on the cord, eventually, too.

Tried Yurbuds and was not impressed.  Eventually the cable to one bud developed an iffy connection -- this was after maybe 2-3 months of light use.  Decided to switch to Bluetooth and bought a pair of Plantronics sport headphones.  Mostly really liked them, though they do have a tendency to short out with sweat (I sweat like a horse) and don't handle pouring rain well, either.  But the sound is good and once they dry out they work fine.  Or they WORKED fine -- until a cat decided to chew on them.

That was expensive, so I picked up a pair of clearance/cheap Blue Ant bluetooth headphones.  Terrible.  Didn't fit for crap, wouldn't stay in/on my ears, and the sound was AWFUL and so quiet that they were useless for anything other than listening in a quiet room.  I'd miss a lot of audio trying to hear podcasts/audiobooks while outdoors.

Back to the Plantronics...I think Backbeat is the model.  They're not the cheapest, but they seem to be the most bang for the buck and they fit my ears well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

seeEricaRun

Awesome

How is it that we live in a world where I can make my cell phone do my bidding just by talking to it, but we still haven't invented the holy grail of sports headphones?

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Back to the Plantronics...I think Backbeat is the model.  They're not the cheapest, but they seem to be the most bang for the buck and they fit my ears well.

Are they the bluetooth ones?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are they the bluetooth ones?

Yup.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How is it that we live in a world where I can make my cell phone do my bidding just by talking to it, but we still haven't invented the holy grail of sports headphones?

Or at least Holy Grail without spending $200.

~ Sarah Kay

Robert31320

Team TJ

I have a pair of Bose.  Pricey as hell but they are seeming to last a really long time and my sweating is having no affect on the fit.

Running for TJ because he can't.

omdno1

I'm very picky with headphones. Have to be wireless for me and I prefer built in mp3 player. I used to be very faithful with Zopid mp3 headphones for years. They were light, comfortable around the head for me,  indestructibl and affordable, but as of lately, they have made them really cheap, fall apart easy. My last straw with them was after they stopped playing in the middle of my half marathon after full charge..unacceptable.

My new headphones are pretty good https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DNUFE40/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bluetooth, accepts a micro card for mp3s or you can simply listen to music through your phone if you choose to. It's a bit tight for me around the neck but I've gotten used to it. It doesn't absorb sweat too bad and I haven't had any issues with it, so far so good.

Sony MDR-J10 H.Ear Headphones with Non-Slip Design (Blue)

I've been using these for the past 3-4 months and have been happy with them. They sound pretty damn good, WAY better than the standard Iphone ear buds. Sorry the link it isn't clicky.

Not running related, but I'm looking for some noise-cancelling headphones.  Over the ear is nice.  Bluetooth and $80 or less would be great.  Any recommendations?

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

Joann Y

Not running related, but I'm looking for some noise-cancelling headphones.  Over the ear is nice.  Bluetooth and $80 or less would be great.  Any recommendations?

Ever get this figured out?