Run in your recovery from alcohol or drug abuse? (Read 191 times)

Juhan

Do you feel running supported your recovery from alcohol or drug abuse?

I am really curious given my own experience in this regard, and as I am now doing a study on the topic.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Still kicking

Running and athletics became my new addiction. Long story short, I realized that I'm an addict, pure and simple, and that wasn't going to change. What had to change was how I directed my addictive personality. When directed to drugs and alcohol, it was a death sentence. When directed into running and athletics, it became a super power.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

If you want to count smoking an addiction running worked for me, in 1983 was a 2 pack a and day smoker and smoking and running do not mix so yea I think running helps you quit an addiction as long as you want quit anyway.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

GHill762

I also used running to quit smoking. went from 1.5-2 packs per day down to none, running gave me a reason to stay smoke free.. quit running and picked the habit back up, then quit smoking and started running again.. I'll never go back to smoking now, but I do still enjoy the occasional cigar (like 1 or less per month, not a "habit", just something I enjoy)..

kcam

Running and athletics became my new addiction. Long story short, I realized that I'm an addict, pure and simple, and that wasn't going to change. What had to change was how I directed my addictive personality. When directed to drugs and alcohol, it was a death sentence. When directed into running and athletics, it became a super power.

Dean, your story is not uncommon among serious runners.  I was amazed that so many of the fastest masters runners in my running club had similar stories as yours.  Running was/is a blessing for them.  Amazing people.

Juhan

Hey Dean from K's, would you consider emailing me at sportinrecovery@gmail.com,

as I am doing a study on running in recovery and would really love to ask you a few questions about your experience.

Thanks for considering

tcg

When I quit drinking almost 32 years ago I was not a runner. Turns out, like another poster, I have addictive tendencies, in other words I get addicted to things quite easily.

Running is one of those things.

My wife says Amazon is another but I don't see it. Just because the mail lady shows up at our doorstep with a package almost every day is no sign of addiction. I can stop anytime but first I have to order some paperclips then I'll stop. No wait, I also need some...

I just trade addictions. Running currently keeps the alcohol in check, most days. Running did help with stopping smoking some 25+ years ago. Plus, I just kick the dog instead of beating the wife or kids.

Get off my porch

Still kicking

Hey Dean from K's, would you consider emailing me at sportinrecovery@gmail.com,

as I am doing a study on running in recovery and would really love to ask you a few questions about your experience.

Thanks for considering

Use this sites messenger!

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

jmsab23

I was growing into parenthood as an alcoholic son of alcoholics. I had quit my drug use before I got married, but I still drank in excess. I saw the writing on the wall after making a fool of myself at my wife's class reunion. 30 years later I haven't drank a drop. Upon emptying the nest, I golfed for a while, but it wasn't enough. I began running a bit when I walked our dog(s), and advanced that to a treadmill. My son urged me into a local 5K, and after beating him by 2 minutes, I was hooked on something once more. I have been running for the past 7 years. I ran over 1,500 miles last year (1,506). I hit 1,100 miles for 2017 this week. I ran my first marathon last year, at age 60, and qualified for Boston next April. I just ran my 2nd marathon and BQ'd for 2019. I started our Rec Club's running program 6 years ago and am still directing it.

I'm not sure I'd go back to drinking if I wasn't busy with running, but I'm more than just dry now, I'm healthy as heck. That's the stopper for me now.

"No man can ever know all he needs until he first knows himself."---- James Steele

PRs:

5K - 20:39.   4-mile - 28:15.    5-mile - 35:36.     10k - 44:51.   HM - 1:38:23.  FM: 3:36:25

I live in a boys home for addicts or just boys who need help, and I have seen running change the life of tons of dudes who start out not being able to run a mile, to setting school records! Addicts make the best runners!!

My alcoholic ex used running and swimming to fill up her addiction void with a positive addiction (before I met her). And through her met several others who used endurance sports as therapy and recovery. Post-race and post-open water swim parties were BORING ! But seriously, YES, I would highly recommend that people in recovery take up running. Who's that guy that was an addict, quit and took up running and within 2 years was a national caliber ultra runner?

I think any endurance ath-tivity makes for a great meditative recovery and maintenance system regarding addictions. In my personal observations, (science, pop-science and $elf Help Indu$try aside) some people have addictive personalities, and the "trick" is to entertain a positive addiction (or mostly positive) to supplant a negative addiction (sure, ok, everyone is special, and their addiction is special).

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

The addicts last lesson...the more power you need to achieve, the less satisfied you are.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

mattw4jc

This was a good autobiography about an addict turned triathlete.
                              "The Hurt Artist: My Journey from Suicidal Junkie to Ironman."

tomatolover

Great post and I like reading all your stories. Were it not for running, I still might be a pack of lucky strike a day gal. I addition, I feel that Running has also helped me manage my ADHD without the use of prescription drugs.