Screws in your shoes? (Read 1182 times)

dougnl

I thought about putting screws in my shoes but decided to get some yaktrax instead. haven't slipped once.
      The nice thing about screw shoes is that unlike clamp on traction aids, you don't even know you are wearing them. That means they are doing what they are supposed to do without altering your form. Another nice thing about them is that unless you need to buy the screws, they are pretty much free. I just use an old pair of running shoes and leave the screws in. The thing is that unless your route is covered in glare ice you won't need any type of traction aid. I've run through the last six Michigan winters and I can count on one hand the number of times it's been too slippery to run in regular shoes. They certainly aren't needed on snow. When you run on a slippery or a perceived to be slippery surface you tend to naturally shorten your stride. This keeps your foot plant under your center of gravity rather than out front as with walking. In six years of winter running I've only wiped out once. Tom
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

The thing is that unless your route is covered in glare ice you won't need any type of traction aid. I've run through the last six Michigan winters and I can count on one hand the number of times it's been too slippery to run in regular shoes. They certainly aren't needed on snow. When you run on a slippery or a perceived to be slippery surface you tend to naturally shorten your stride. This keeps your foot plant under your center of gravity rather than out front as with walking. In six years of winter running I've only wiped out once. Tom
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Oops, sorry - still getting the hang of this. I think it must depend on where you live as to how much glare ice you get. In southern Maine, we get a lot, at least where I run. This year is unusual so far - great snow surfaces, but most years my driveway and street are like ice skating rinks. Even when there's snow, there's ice mixed in. The Yaktrax have worked really well for me, and I don't notice them when I'm running.

Another Passion

The nice thing about screw shoes is that unlike clamp on traction aids, you don't even know you are wearing them. That means they are doing what they are supposed to do without altering your form. Another nice thing about them is that unless you need to buy the screws, they are pretty much free. I just use an old pair of running shoes and leave the screws in. The thing is that unless your route is covered in glare ice you won't need any type of traction aid. I've run through the last six Michigan winters and I can count on one hand the number of times it's been too slippery to run in regular shoes. They certainly aren't needed on snow. When you run on a slippery or a perceived to be slippery surface you tend to naturally shorten your stride. This keeps your foot plant under your center of gravity rather than out front as with walking. In six years of winter running I've only wiped out once. Tom
            Hey Tom~ Neighbor to the south here in Temperance, MI. One wipe out in 6 years... I'd take those odds. This is the first "real" winter outdoor running that I have done and I find your thoughts right on so far. I only used my screw shoes once last week when we had ice and packed snow which was ice-like. They worked fabulously, but I haven't needed them since. If you're new here from CR, welcome aboard. Big grin

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Think Whirled Peas

Rick, this is my first winter of running and I'm noticing the same thing you are, that the need for extra traction is only an occasional thing in mid-Michigan. Last weekend we had a foot of snow fall. This weekend we hit 50 degrees. There were a couple of days during the week where I was slogging it out on some brutal sidewalks, and two days later I'm running in nothing but perfect conditions. threadjacking my own thread: Are you in for GR Mary this year? It'll be my first attempt at one, and it's prolly gonna be messy, but it'll be nice knowing there are more RA'ers out there training for it! /threadjack

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Rim Rock Dad

After the 3 foot dumping that we got in Denver last year, we discovered ice can actually stay on the streets here for more than a couple of days (some of the streets that I run on had thick ice for around 2 months!). I went to my local running store, and bought a pair of the yaktraks. They work great, you can put them on any of your shoes, and of you hit a dry patch, its no problem. I've thought about using the screws before, but I like to rotate my shoes. This product allows me to do that.
                James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Another Passion

threadjacking my own thread: Are you in for GR Mary this year? It'll be my first attempt at one, and it's prolly gonna be messy, but it'll be nice knowing there are more RA'ers out there training for it!
                  I'm not sure on the full Mike as I am doing my first in April and I'll see how that goes. Even if I don't do the full though, I am considering running the half. I would love to participate in a race that will have many other RA runners in it and I would love to be there to see you do that 26.2 thang! You're Detroit Half race report was one of many true inspirations to me in getting me in the game and encouraging me to attempt my first marathon. Wink I certainly will be here cheering you all on regardless!

Rick

Think Whirled Peas

I'm not sure on the full Mike as I am doing my first in April and I'll see how that goes. Even if I don't do the full though, I am considering running the half. I would love to participate in a race that will have many other RA runners in it and I would love to be there to see you do that 26.2 thang! You're Detroit Half race report was one of many true inspirations to me in getting me in the game and encouraging me to attempt my first marathon. Wink I certainly will be here cheering you all on regardless!
                    Excellent deal! You're going to have to make sure you keep me posted on how the training is going for your April race, b/c I have to be honest, I'm nervous as h3ll about the volume of miles needed to perform well at the full distance. What training program are you following?

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

Another Passion

Excellent deal! You're going to have to make sure you keep me posted on how the training is going for your April race, b/c I have to be honest, I'm nervous as h3ll about the volume of miles needed to perform well at the full distance. What training program are you following?
                      I am (loosely) following the Higdon Intermediate II plan. I say loosely because on the shorter run days I am actually doing more easy miles as I had a pretty good base build up prior to starting the plan. Also, if I run more miles on a lower mileage day and I happen to miss a subsequent day of running for whatever reason, I have at least gotten more mileage in already. I mainly want to make it to the GR to see all the RA folks running the race. I wouldn't mind doing the full, but the time in training is what is hard for me, not the actual miles themselves. I am spread pretty thin as far as time and commitments go, so the amount of time spent running is tough. Who knows though. It would be great to be alongside you, Zoomie and others on the full though. Smile

Rick