2020 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 408 times)

delicate flower

I’m not doing Boston but I imagine I’d do this and hope things don’t fill up. Here out west, one that would likely reap the benefits is Eugene a week later. Which is a good race anyway.

Well there are a shitload of marathons that weekend after Boston, so if NJ fills up (which I can't imagine), I'll find another one.  Wife really won't care if I have to book a flight for it.  It'd be strictly a business trip.

<3

Running Problem

Problem Child

Yes, I assume, with no refunds. (Although I wouldn’t expect a “sorry”.)  That’s what they did for Tokyo. Tokyo allowed anyone to defer to 2021, with another registration fee. Isn’t that what Boston did for the people who couldn’t finish the year of the bombing? Most people I know who planned to go to Tokyo were able to cancel hotels, with mixed results on flights. Although some still made the trip, for funzies.

I think if you didn't finish the year of the bombing you were allowed to run in 2014. I even remember someone from foursquare (Dennis Crowly) helped his wife jump into the race with a pirated bib because she finished, he didn't, he was allowed to run and "their" dream was to run it together....a second time...after he finished and wasn't actually allowed to run the race. I think he ended up paying for the charity fee. Still not acceptable in my eyes.

I can't imagine corona virus is treated like a domestic terrorist attacke like that asshole Tsarnaev pulled before driving over his brother and hiding in a boat.

https://www.masslive.com/news/boston/2013/12/boston_strong_2014_boston_mara.html

The 2014 Boston Marathon is expected to attract 36,000 qualified, approved runners. That would make it the second most crowded field in history, surpassed only by the 38,708 entrants for the 100th race in 1996.

About 29,000 slots will go to qualifiers and those who could not finish the 2013 race because of the bombings. Another 7,000 spots will be granted to runners participating for charity, and special invitees.

Some of these invitations will go to runners with direct connection to those affected by the bombings. The field will easily exceed the 26,839 entrants in 2013.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Brew - the problem with this one is that nobody will finish, so they'd have to allow everyone to defer. If that happens, I'd say the BQ qualifying time will plummet to something like BQ - 5.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew - the problem with this one is that nobody will finish, so they'd have to allow everyone to defer. If that happens, I'd say the BQ qualifying time will plummet to something like BQ - 5.

Oh well. No my problem. Rules are rules and individual deferrals aren't allowed according to the BAA. Plus I'm good with a BQ-5. I'd still be in. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I think we're close to a point where the consensus will be that the quarantines and cancellations are ineffective, we're going to just have to go on with life, and let the virus run its course (see the metaphor there?).  I think the race will happen.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think we're close to a point where the consensus will be that the quarantines and cancellations are ineffective, we're going to just have to go on with life, and let the virus run its course (see the metaphor there?).  I think the race will happen.

I agree with this personally, but you forget the litigious society we live in where people will sue the BAA for letting the race go on and people get sick.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I agree with this personally, but you forget the litigious society we live in where people will sue the BAA for letting the race go on and people get sick.

Those people deserve to die of korownah virus on their birthday.  "I'm going to sue you for making it so hard to get into this race that I HAD to risk death in order to run it for the fifth time and collect my overpriced jacket and unicorn medal so I could gain more self worth from social media people giving me approval for this risking death to get a unicorn medal. You owe me 5 million dollars for my dumbass decisions in life."

VDOT 53.37 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Part of me think London is going to be cancelled. That's partly why I wanted to run so hard yesterday. We were planning to skip over to Paris for a few days after the marathon and with Paris just cancelling their half it looks like no trip. We got insurance but they consider this a national disaster so insurance will not likely want to reimburse. however my Tokyo friends got reimburse but I doubt airlines will want to keep this going.

What funny is how many Top Iranians have died its like slaughtering the heads.  And they are keeping mum about it NY only case is from of all places Iran.

while the death toll in china is 1% it seems to be taking out Iranians at 3-4% which makes you wonder if its a mutation.

So many top officials taken out  they may as well call it the CIA virus.

Iran’s coronavirus outbreak has hit the highest levels of government

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

If it has kill that many top officials it has to be more widespread in the masses. The guy (Minister of Health) was coughing on stage saying no outbreak while sweating profusely and coughing. Two days later they said he had it.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Julia1971

I am registered for Boston and London (got in via the inaugural Wanda Marathon Age Group World Championships).  At this moment, I'm going with Boston goes on but London becomes UK participants only.  My hope is that the championships gets postponed to the fall at...  The New York City Marathon and I get to run it after all.   A girl can dream, can't she?

I was also thinking both races could offer deferrals to get the field down to something smaller.  I think that's what Boston did in 2012 due to the heat.  The problem is that this close, so many people have already bought plane tickets and may decide to travel anyway if the airlines don't allow refunds.  (I saw on the London Marathon FB page someone posted that one of the major airlines did refund a Tokyo Marathon runner.)  Right now, I have two $$$ tickets from Boston to London that might go wasted but I'm not booking anything else until mid-March.  Hopefully, things will be more certain by then.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I am registered for Boston and London (got in via the inaugural Wanda Marathon Age Group World Championships).

Very cool, congrats on qualifying!  I looked at their "Platinum" times, and well, no, I'm not getting one of those.

Julia1971

Very cool, congrats on qualifying!  I looked at their "Platinum" times, and well, no, I'm not getting one of those.

Thanks!  It's kind of exciting.  They created a Facebook page for us and it's been interesting seeing all the cool places people are from.  Most of us had the same reaction to getting in: "How am I in an international championship?"  But, surprise has turned to bravado and a group is now lobbying the Abbott people to set up an opportunity for us to meet the marathon winners.  Smile

CalBears

I am registered for Boston and London (got in via the inaugural Wanda Marathon Age Group World Championships).  At this moment, I'm going with Boston goes on but London becomes UK participants only.  My hope is that the championships gets postponed to the fall at...  The New York City Marathon and I get to run it after all.   A girl can dream, can't she?

How many runners from each Age Group got into London? 5, 10, 20, 30? Would like to know what to shoot for.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Julia1971

How many runners from each Age Group got into London? 5, 10, 20, 30? Would like to know what to shoot for.

It varied by age group.  And the invitations were rolling.  So, I think the highest ranked in each age group were invited during the first round and depending on how many of them accepted, they would invite another block of runners in a second round until they got the number they wanted.

CalBears

It varied by age group.  And the invitations were rolling.  So, I think the highest ranked in each age group were invited during the first round and depending on how many of them accepted, they would invite another block of runners in a second round until they got the number they wanted.

Oh... Thanks for the link - I saw it but for some reason just ignored it Sad Getting old Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile