Raleigh Rock n' Roll Marathon (Read 94 times)

DantheMan

Just checking to see if any other RunningAHEADer are doing the Marathon on April 2016. I would love to find someone who would be willing to train with me - especially those long runs. I have run 4 half-marathons, and each of those have been about 2:15. My goal is to finish this FULL marathon in under 5. The race time prediction calculators put me anywhere from 4:30-to 5:15. Hope to hear from some of you guys.

-Find your happy pace.

DantheMan

Ah nothing quite like posting on a dead thread. For those of you who are going to the Raleigh Rock and Roll Full marathon, I have put the course in My Courses and have made it public. According to RA's tracker, it is closer to 27 miles. But seriously what is .8 miles after 26.2 right? 

-Find your happy pace.

gsaun039

Caffeine-fueled Runner

DantheMan:

Yes, I am running the RnR Raleigh Marathon.  I ran the first two.  The second one wasn't quite as "brutal" as the first (better weather conditions and a better course), but it still had as much vertical in the second one (if not more) as the first.  It just didn't have in such brutal waves as the Trinity Road hill or the stretch out beyond Edwards Mill and Reedy Creek.  Of course, the thing that was really tough for the inaugural race was the warm temperatures after weeks of cold weather (training).

I ran it injured last year and it was my last marathon for 2015 so I could recover and rebuild for this year.  I still completed it in 5:05.

I used to live down off the Avent Ferry Road stretch and that was my running territory when I lived in Raleigh.  I now live in Chapel Hill where hill training is just part of the training (as it is in Raleigh).  The stretch down to lake Johnson and along the greenway below the dam is a nice stretch.  But coming back to and through the Centennial Campus to Dorothea Dix was a challenge.

Anyway, the 2:15 HM conversion to somewhere around  five hours sounds about right.

I recently joined RA and happened to be glancing through the Forum section when I came across your post.  I'll also send this as a message to you.

PR's--- 5K  24:11,   10K  49:40,   10-Mile  1:26:02,  HM  1:56:03,   Marathon  4:16:17

Maniac #11112, Fanatic #14276, Double Agent #2335

DantheMan

Thanks for the response. I am getting my miles in and am feeling good about this marathon. Happy trails and may you find our happy pace this year.

-Find your happy pace.

NHLA

There is a nice running club in Raleigh. I can't remember name. Mabe Raleigh Road Runners.

Join and run long runs with them.

DantheMan

Thanks. I live about 1.5 hours away from Raleigh. There is a running club near me but currently my class schedule doesn't allow me to really get out except at crazy hours of the day. Once this first half of the semester is done, things will open up.

-Find your happy pace.