Is this a dumb idea, or a REALLY dumb idea.... (Read 952 times)

Last year, I did a 5k race at slightly less than maximum effort, to save myself for a 20 miler the very next day (the last prior to my marathon), which went fine. This year, it looks like I'd have to do the 20 miler the day BEFORE the same 5k if I want to do both. My plan has five 20 milers and this would be the final one. I don't care about a 5k pr, but I would like to run it close to all-out. One other thought: I've been doing most of my long runs @ 30-45 seconds slower than goal marathon pace, and I considered that I could do this one at 1-1:15 slower, STILL get the benefit, but keep myself a little fresher. Is this a recipe for an injury?

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I have no experience with trying this; but I can say I did not feel like doing any form of fast running the day after I ran a 20 miler! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

I 'think' that if I were in the final stages of Marathon training that I wouldn't let a 5K possibly get in my way.......if its a fun race that friends are going to and you want to attend, I personally think it wise to run a more normal pace and just enjoy the day.....maybe run at 10K pace and so what if your not fried after the race...you have bigger priorities... Personally, I think I'd probably blow the 5K off and focus on marathon training if I were serious about running a marathon.........or run it as part of marathon training and not focus much on my time or effort on the 5K.... Just wouldn't want to take a chance Confused

Champions are made when no one is watching

Bugs

I wouldn't do it. I normally woudn't hesitate to do a 5K and then a 20 miler. Fitting a race in with a training run seems to be hit or miss for me on whether it works out. I ran a 5 mile race on Saturday and my legs were tired for my 20 miler last night. I wish I had not run the 5 mile race. I have a hard time predicting when the fatigue is going to set in. Save your money, skip the 5K.

Bugs

there's nothing dumb or stupid about it. if it hurts during the 5k, then good. if it doesn't, run faster! see what kind of speed you have when slightly fatigued. For myself, I usually don't feel the affects of a longer run until 2 days after.
            And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine
            mikeymike

It's probably not a bad idea training-wise but I probably wouldn't do it just because running a really crappy 5K would not help my fragile ego in the latter stages of marathon training.

Runners run

Hoodoo Guru

If it's an event you really enjoy, why not volunteer to work at the 5K rather than race? You'll still feel involved and see old friends, but won't risk a stupid injury.

The tangents are moot.

JimR

Is this a recipe for an injury?
                  Maybe not a recipe, but perhaps the right ingredients.

If it's an event you really enjoy, why not volunteer to work at the 5K rather than race? You'll still feel involved and see old friends, but won't risk a stupid injury.
                    This has my vote as well, but I volunteer at a dozen races or so annually anyway. I have done a 5k 3 days after a marathon on one occasion and 3 days after a 50k on another, and neither time was my 5k anywhere close to competitive no matter how much I tried to make it so. (+6-7 minutes, I think, but I'd have to check.)

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I once heard the difference between a dream and a goal is planning. If your goal is the marathon and you've been planning for it, run the 5K for fun, volunteer, eat doughnuts before hand, carry a beer during the race, whatever it takes but don't blow your marathon.
                      Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                      RedSoxFan

Why not include the 5K race as part of the 20 mile run? Do a warmup, run the 5K all out and do a long cooldown after the race.
                          Why not include the 5K race as part of the 20 mile run? Do a warmup, run the 5K all out and do a long cooldown after the race.
                          I like this idea best if you really want to race the 5k.
                          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                            All great comments.. Thank you! Running the 5k as part of the 20 isn't an option.. it's actually a 5k that takes place at a craft fair my wife attends... Not sure what my answer is, but thanks for the insights. ... I agree with the over-riding thing: it's all about the marathon. I don't want to screw that up.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I rule I like to follow is always alternate hard days and easy days. That gives me time to recover from any damage before pushing hard again. A 20 miler and a max effort 5K are both hard runs and doing them back to back is definitely asking for trouble. Tom
                                The Kerouac 5K is one of my favorite races, with refreshments, music AND adult beverages included. Last year it was an absolutely perfect day, hopefully on the 28th it's more of the same. The race is exactly three weeks before the BayState Marathon, which was the date of my training schedule's final long run. I've moved the long run to Saturday, and I'll be doing the Kerouac as a recovery slog. I mean recovery run. The training schedule has an easy four miler on the day after so as long as I resist any temptation to actually race it I should be OK. If I forget it's supposed to be an easy run, I'm quite certain my legs will remind me. As long as you don't push beyond comfortably hard running, I think you'll be fine. I personally wouldn't run it close to all out. Best of luck Marcus.

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.