Long Run Nick-still running:81,312 miles and counting. (Read 175 times)

Hi old friends, and maybe some new ones. Kind of swore off forums/ Facebook awhile back, but felt the urge to check in and maybe be able to help some newbies develop a passion for running that I have been fortunate enough to have caught nearly 39 years ago. Closing in on 72, I am still grateful to be able to run 40-50 miles a week. 2014 has been great, will have run over 2,300 miles and completed a 50K ultra just 2 weeks ago.

When I was on Cool Running years ago, I enjoyed "coaching" folks new to running or returning to running. I have been fortunate to have coached hundreds of " neighborhood class" runners over the years as well as some years as the All Army Marathon Team coach back in the 80's.

My motto: start off easy, then back-off. I find most folks new to running do too much, too soon, too fast and join the world's largest running club...."I use to run but...club". I am willing to assist folks with their program of getting fit and making your goal to be a runner

for the rest of your life. As Nike said years ago--"There is no finish line".

If I can get you to believe if you slow down, you can get faster. Slow walking, then some slogging--slow jogging, walk breaks. Pace should allow you to sing your favorite song as you enjoy your fun run. If you don't make it your play, I doubt you will stick with it.

Thanks for letting me share, it has been awhile. Nick

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Enjoyed reading your post. I am 60 and have been running for 31 years. I have gotten slower but I have not plans to stop anytime soon.

MTA: No idea what my lifetime mileage is. I did not keep a log when I started running in 1983.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

It is great to hear from you again, Nick.  I am one of the people who have read your posts over the years and been inspired.  I started running at the age of 51.  I am 63 now and still going.  I am slower, and take more walk breaks, but I often think about what you have written and know that speed doesn't matter.  Moving is what matters.

Jackie