First Twelve Miler (Read 1522 times)

juniordo1

This post could probably fit in more than one category so I posted it here since I am a fairly inexperienced runner in new territory..

I reached a new milestone on Saturday. I logged 12 miles for the first time. Althought the Minnesota temps were in the 30's at the time of my run, I opted for the treadmill indoors since the shoulders of the road were still not clear.

The good:

I felt good mentally and physically all through the run.

The bad:

Post-run 1 hour I was a stiff and as sore as I have ever been following a run of any distance! My calves, hammies and feet were all thoroughly thrashed.

I fully re-fueled,and re-hydrated over the next couple of hours and took a couple Advil but the discomfort remained.

After a good night's sleep I woke up to find absolutely no stiffness or soreness as if the previous day's run never happened.

The questions:

I was just looking for some insight as to what I experienced. Did I just break through a fitness plateau? Was I experiencing mild dehydration or low glycogen reserves? It doesn't seem likely to me but I thought I'd ask those with the experience.

During the run I consumed 32 ounces of Powerade (200 calories) and still lost  2.3lbs - 1.3% of bodyweight..

Pre- run nutrition/hydration - bowl of oatmeal and 16 oz of water 2 hours prior to run.

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

you did everything right. just growin pains....your next one will feel bettah. that is my opinion...someone else here will say somethin different i'm sure.

In order to see the truth, sometimes you have to loose an eye.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Utri/

L Train

I agree.  I think you just did something your body has never done before.  I remember when I used to be trashed at the end of longer runs, specifically I remember my ankles hurting.  I think if you do it more often those symptoms will eventually go away.  Congrats on the progress.

you did everything right. just growin pains....your next one will feel bettah. that is my opinion...someone else here will say somethin different i'm sure.

Considering the OPs running log (assuming it's up-to-date), and longest run prior to the 12, I'd fully expect there to be considerable soreness after a significantly new/higher distance run.

Try to avoid the NSAIDs though if at all possible.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I agree - depending on what you were logging prior to this, you could well feel pretty trashed after that distance.  I'm just impressed with running that distance on a TM - I've only managed about half that.

Everything sounds right for a new distance from my limited experience. I ran 14 on the dreadmill Sunday and drank about 12 ounces of gatoraid/water during the run. I usually only drink water when I go on a med-long to long run and never drink anything on 1.5 hour or less runs unless its hot and humid. I'm trying to incorporate some Gator-aid into the longer runs as I seem to have stomach issues when racing and drinking a Gator-aid type drink during the race. I rarely weigh myself afterwards, maybe I should, I just drink when thirsty after a run.

I would skip the Advil next time and take an ice bath instead or ice the areas that are sore/stiff. Try to walk around and stay a little active after the run as that can lessen the stiffness.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

L Train

Considering the OPs running log (assuming it's up-to-date), and longest run prior to the 12, I'd fully expect there to be considerable soreness after a significantly new/higher distance run.

Yeah I should have looked.  You can help alleviate this stuff by running more overall weekly miles rather than extending that long run until your body is ready for it. 

MrH

At the end of a session where you do fatigue your body like that, I'm a fan of gentle static 'stretching'. The goal is just to loosen everything, not stretch it.

I'd expect everything to get pretty tight when you combine a long effort that you're not used to with the artificial environment or a treadmill where you repeat  the same motion without the variation you will get running on other surfaces.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

You can help alleviate this stuff by running more overall weekly miles rather than extending that long run until your body is ready for it. 

+1

I'd have the same issues if my long run exceeds 30-35% of my weekly mileage (like the last couple of weeks), I need to run a bit more during the week before I go any longer on the weekend long run.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

+1 Static Stretch (I do this)

+1 Icing (I don't but know I should, if only ice wasn't so cold)

+1 it always gets better next time

On another note, I am very impressed with your progression, you are far more patient than I am.  I like the up - up - down weekly pattern.

Good job on the run.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
                      Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

agree with everyone else.  In my personal experience, when you attempt 14 miles, the first 12 will be like nothing, and those remaining 2 will bring back all of those aches and pains again.  It repeats over and over as you increase your distance, keep at it and it will get easier. 

juniordo1

Yeah I should have looked.  You can help alleviate this stuff by running more overall weekly miles rather than extending that long run until your body is ready for it. 

The milage is base on a Higdon plan and this run corresponds to Novice Supreme Week 19 so I'm patiently mirroring the miles in the plan.  I was surprised at how much more punishing this was than the 10 miler from a previous week. I finished that run strong and did not suffer the stiffness/soreness. This is my first shot at any training plan but future plans will definitely incorporate higher weekly mileage.

juniordo1

Yes, I agree the NSAIDs should be avoided and I held off on taking them until I was fully re-hydrated.

Curious what the issue is with taking NSAID's after a run.  I never have until the last two weeks since I've developed this knee injury.  I've been popping a couple Motrin after my runs to help with the inflammation.  Like I said, I've never taken any after runs in the past especially to help with stiffness, but I thought it may help some with the inflammation I've been having in my knee.

Curious what the issue is with taking NSAID's after a run.  I never have until the last two weeks since I've developed this knee injury.  I've been popping a couple Motrin after my runs to help with the inflammation.  Like I said, I've never taken any after runs in the past especially to help with stiffness, but I thought it may help some with the inflammation I've been having in my knee.

As am I.  I find NSAID's to be quite helpful when necessary.

Edit: just read this thread http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/e72fe689ac004a3ab26e937433d3bbd4/2

As with anything, moderation and proper precautions seem to be the answer.