Get the f outta my house, biotch! (Read 625 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

(wasn't that a 2 Live Crew song back in the day...?) My MIL...again. Tonite we get back from supper and she goes into the room where my hubby's computer is to hook her laptop up to check her e-mail. Well since our fridge is still in that room (yeah, 'cause our kitchen is still not completed )she didn't see the lightswitch, so she goes into the NEXT room, where my computer is to see if she can find a switch. She finds one and like a dumbass flips it off. This is an old house and we have switches in pretty much every room that operate the outlets. So she ended up switching off my computer and everything hooked-up to it--computers don't much like having the plug pulled on them in such a harsh manner. Anyhow, to make a long story short she fried something with the Firewire stuff in our computer, so now we can't use anything with a firewire connection. Luckily we were able to connect our external hard drive (with ALL of my personal and business photos--I'm a part-time, professional photographer--business paperwork and documents, contracts, etc.) using USB, but now our DVD burner is useless...wonder if she will be willing to buy us a new one...? And my Firewire CF card reader is also now unusable. There is a card reader on our external hard drive, but I don't like it--it tends to not want to give cards back and it makes me nervous that I will damage an expensive memory card with a few hundred photos on it. God, I so detest that woman for so many reasons, but this cements her position at #1 on my $h!t list!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Now that was a bath...

Ouch. You need to inflict pain on this person. Zoomy I gotta run as I have to pick Jake up from school but I wanted to ask, has she apologised? Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

has she apologised?
        Not really...at the very least she should buy us a new DVD burner since it would cost less than having our computer repaired.

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Hmmm.......weird that it would fry the Firewire port like that. You do have these things plugged into a surge protector, right? Either way, though, it sucks. In-laws are a pain in general. I've thrown my father-in-law out of my house already for being disrespectful. It takes a lot to get me real fired up, but 45 minutes of his crap worked pretty good. I don't take well to someone telling my wife that she "owes" them because they raised her, fed her, clothed her, etc.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmm.......weird that it would fry the Firewire port like that. You do have these things plugged into a surge protector, right? Either way, though, it sucks. In-laws are a pain in general. I've thrown my father-in-law out of my house already for being disrespectful. It takes a lot to get me real fired up, but 45 minutes of his crap worked pretty good. I don't take well to someone telling my wife that she "owes" them because they raised her, fed her, clothed her, etc.
            Yeah, surge protectors to the max...I'm not convinced they do much, though. My MIL was already at the top of my list. Last Fri. PM we were riding down with her to meet my DH for supper at Logan's (to celebrate my our son's bday). I had been telling Dane over and over and over ad-nauseum to put his Leapster (kind of like an educational Gameboy) in its case and get his coat and boots on. So my MIL gets here and he is STILL playing with it and ignoring me. Again I tell him to turn it off and put it in its case and he can have it back once we get into her vehicle. He still ignores me, so I wrestle it away from him, put it in its case, and again tell him to get ready to leave (he has a dramatic melt-down for grandma's benefit, at this point). My MIL then sternly tells me IN FRONT OF DANE that I should not have gotten physical with him and that his teachers would never have handled it that way. Well, bitch, this is my home, my kid, and being patient with him and giving him warnings repeatedly obviously doesn't work. Oh, and some background...she is a retired sp. ed. teacher, so she knows all there is to know about parenting...right. And it's funny that she would get critical about my physically removing his toy from his hands--my hubby was spanked as a kid (we will spank Dane if the situation really warrants it, but it's been pretty rare), so pot...meet kettle. Hubby also says he would have handled the situation exactly as I did. What really pissed me off about that was her criticizing my parenting skills in front of my child--nothing like undermining a parent. Yeah, what reason does he have to listen to mom if grandma essentially is saying that mom is whack in his presence...? Gah, thank god she spends most of her time in IL, not their place 20 minutes away! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

Yeah, I'm concerned about some of those things when we have kids, too. I gotta say, I'm still not 100% convinced on the switch frying that port. I once rigged my computer up to a 220 volt outlet, and turned it on. The dramatic spray of sparks from the power supply was pretty cool, but it still didn't damage the motherboard or any other parts. Of course, with electronics, it doesn't really take all that much. There may have been other factors that caused the issue. Either way.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I'm concerned about some of those things when we have kids, too.
                One more reason I'd love to move to a more temperate/warm part of the US--we'd be that much further away from my MIL... Big grin Last night hubby and I were talking and he even said that he feels much more comfortable around MY family. He admits that he has little in common with his family, at least on his mom's side...and they are the ones we see the most. They are much more uppity, formal, concerned with appearances. My family is a bunch of crazy, sarcastic, beer-drinking, sitting around in PJs and ordering take-out on Christmas Eve types. k

~ Sarah Kay

It won't help your computer but it certainly will help you. GO RUN GIRL! 4-5 miles ought to do it. Might save your MIL's life too. Wink Ewa
                  I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I did...and it was the fastest run I think I've done in over a month...felt DAMNED good! Helps that the roads were clearer than they've been in weeks...and the sun was shining! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Hope your mother-in-law doesn't have an Internet connection and isn't very nosy ..... (If she is - I hope the surviving one of the two you posts an update. Cuz that'd be funny.)

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------