Is Brooks Neuro done-for? (Read 73 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not finding it at all on RunningWarehouse or RRS. Only a few sizes on Amazon (not mine, naturally), limited sizes on Brooks' site, but still full-price. No sign of Neuro 4.

Suggestions for replacement? I love that neutral, 6mm drop, SUPER flexible forefoot. The last is relatively straight, too. Everything else seems to be increasingly curved, in recent years. My feet are not the least bit curved and my baby toes can't handle it (as it is I wear men's shoes, unless I can find women's wides).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

It sure looks like they are discontinuing. You might talk to your LRS, or contact Brooks directly for suggested replacements, if you haven’t done either/both already.

The Neuro is in Brooks’ “Speed” family. The other neutral shoe in that category is the Hyperion. They are very lightweight, super comfy & flexible, it’s like wearing socks. They’re pretty minimalist, so no good if you need any kind of cushioning. I actually bought a pair, but after taking them for a test run, found they gave me a pain on the top of my foot from presumably a too-tight toebox. Took them back and exchanged them, thank you Brooks return policy.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wondered about the Hyperion, but it looks crazy narrow and I'm not sure I'd like the 10mm drop. I'd probably give them a try if I thought they might not squash my duck feet. It's kind of odd that they'd use such a large drop on what appears to be a show that they are marketing towards race day, too.

It's strange that they'd cut a shoe that appears to get rave reviews everywhere I look, too.

~ Sarah Kay

I didn't find them super narrow, I guess you never know unless you try them. I didn't think anything of the 10mm drop, since that's about what I'm accustomed to otherwise, even though I was looking at them for racing. I ended up buying the Asteria, which is their support race shoe, and is what I've been using for racing & speed work the last couple years. Not quite as lightweight as the Hyperion, but still pretty flexible, and a bit roomier in the forefoot. You can always try that as well, I don't think the level of support is too excessive. And slightly lower drop at 8mm. However I would not be shocked if they discontinue those too. They've been around a few years and have not been updated, and I rarely see others wearing them at races. They have a pretty distinctive appearance, so I notice them.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It never fails when I find a shoe I like...that I find that I should have stocked-up! NB had a neutral, lightweight shoe with BOA lacing. I bought a pair for duathlons (fast to get on and off when I'm shaking and struggling to change shoes 2x). Looks like that shoe is no more, too. I hope the pair I bought 6 months or so ago are still OK in a year. I'm going to keep them stashed-away...maybe grab another pair while I still can. I'm never really sure how long cushioning will be fine before it starts to degrade.

~ Sarah Kay