I Suppose It Was Inevitable, Yes? (Read 694 times)

HermosaBoy

6) give a written statement to animal control (with the pictures, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was)

Is he a litterbug?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Is he a litterbug?

We don't want any hangings.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      HermosaBoy

We don't want any hangings.

Good point -- I will just wait over on the Group W bench.

Rob

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

As Spaniel suggested, a dog must be under the control of his owner at all times when not on the owner's property. A lease is an additional contraint that most locales require. However, just because your dog is on a leash, if he bites me, he and you are going to have a very bad day. If he trips me or lungs at me, you are going to have a very bad day. The control of teh dog is what counts and is solely the owners responsibility.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
          Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

muppy

Group W, you mean with the mother rapers, father stabbers, father rapers, sitting right there on the bench next to me.....

HermosaBoy

Group W, you mean with the mother rapers, father stabbers, father rapers, sitting right there on the bench next to me.....

Yup...

Rob

I like to give the dog the benefit of the doubt. I blame the stupid  irresponsible owners.(my dogs are leashed if not in my yard)

Out in the country the dogs that aren't penned are the ones we have to watch. Most of the country dogs seem to like cyclists more than runners. The majority that aren't penned won't even hardly look up from their nap to pay us any attention.

Aggressive dogs get a rock in the head. Most are ignored. (did have my running buddy hit me with the rock instead of the dog on one run)

We've got one lab looking mutt who has followed us for the last 2-3 years for upwards of eight miles. I've brought her back to where she picks us up on at least 3 occasions.

Another white german shepard looking dog has followed on several occasions for 2-3 miles before she turns around and heads home.

Bitten, I'd pursue every avenue to make certain the owner takes responsibility for the actions of their dog.

Get off my porch

robinde

Wow, Dave.  Twice in one day.  I'm sorry that happened to you.  How's the hand doing?

There's a dog on my usual shorter route that like to chase me.  The darn thing jumped on me and got a bit of leg a couple of times.  My husband keeps telling me I should kick it or pepper spray it, but I can't bring myself to do it.  I probably should at least confront the owners.

I once had a big dog take a snap at my thigh as I ran by. I didn't notice he wasn't leashed until it was too late. At the time I just glared at the owner as she said an obligatory 'bad dog!' to her mutt but I didn't want to break stride in order to yell at her. When I got home and saw the huge bruise on my leg I regretted not saying more. These days I give dogs, even leashed dogs, a WIDE berth. I will literally veer off to the other side of the street as I pass. It's better for me, better for the dog. Better for everyone.

Phenix

As a small animal veterinarian, I have literally devoted my life to the care of animals.  That being said, when it comes down to a lunging dog or my safety, I have absolutely NO problems protecting myself.  I have kicked two dogs in the three years since I started running.  Neither was an all out "break your ribs/smash your face" kick - just more of a "boof" to get my point across.  While I agree it is the very stupid owner's fault, I know way too well how devastating some dog bites can be.  Protect yourself first, then "educate" the stupid owner.  I am seriously looking into pepper spray to carry when I resume runs in the country in the springtime.  I'm hesitant because I'd probably be angry enough to use it on the owner after I subdued the dog with it.

In both cases I was attacked, the owners got quite excited about the fact I protected myself.  I have taken to carry my iPhone on my runs even though I don't listen to music, and it kind of scares the owners when you start taking Fido's picture and inform them it's for Animal Control's purposes when you report the incident.  Once they shut up, I inform them about the local leash laws and their responsibilities about ensuring their dog is under their control at all times.  The first time the dog got a mouthful of my tights, so I took photos of the torn area in front of the owner.  The second time I rolled off the sidewalk and subluxated my cuboid bone trying to turn from the 120lb Rottweiler (offleash).  I reported both incidences to Animal Control -  one of the dogs now has a "muzzle" order - the dog must be muzzled at all times when off the property.  The owner glares at me every time I see him walking Cujo down the street with a basket muzzle.  I have absolutely no regrets - a dog that lunges at a runner will likely find an 8 year old squealing child equally as inviting.  During puppy appointments I emphasize how important it is to properly socialize your puppy to everything -including runners and cyclists - to avoid such incidents.

Hoodoo Guru

If I see a dog off leash and he looks the least bit threatening, I'll pick up a stick and swing it in a nice wide arc to keep him away.  We have an old car antenna that my wife carries when she runs.  I've been bitten before and had leashed dogs tackle me.  I hope yelling at the owners puts the fear of god in them a little bit, but I have my doubts.

The tangents are moot.

RunnerGalBeth

So far, so good for me.  But I do wear a small canister of pepper spray velcroed to my wrist.  About a month ago a small dog barked at me and ran out of his yard toward me.  I turned around and yelled at it to go home and waved my menacing washcloth at him.  It worked.

I like that idea of taking pictures for animal control.  I always have my phone with me.

Don't get me wrong..we have two adorable dogs...;but no one loves my dog as much as I do.

jfa

8) fist pump for not having rabies

Do you KNOW that the dog doesn't have rabies?

I got bit last summer and when asking the Dr stitching my hand whether I should get rabies shots, she just kept repeating the phrase "rabies is 100% fatal in humans"

In my case, the dog owner left the scene so I had no chance to verify vaccinations. There does not have to be symptoms for rabies to be present in the dog. In dogs and humans, it can lay dormant for years before symptoms show up. If they do, it's a quick and horrible death.

The shots are not that bad and as a side benefit, you're covered for life.

xhristopher

Since you have his number have him connect you to his vet for the rabies vaccine info. If he can't do that tell him it's time to have his dog tested for rabies.

Yes, I know what's involved in testing a dog. If the dog's owner cared for his dog and others it would come to that.

Arimathea

Tessa

Not inevitable...but sadly the odds are that sooner or later most outdoor runners will encounter a dog that isn't under control. I like dogs, I've returned a few friendly/lost ones to their owners, and I don't want to see a dog euthanized unnecessarily. But if it bites me, because it's unleashed or because the idiot owner has the dog on a retractable leash and is not controlling his or her dog, I will call animal control. Kevin outlined a good plan of action. Get the wounds seen to. And get the authorities involved. It's the owner who really needs to be cited and trained, rather than the dog.