Marathon ankles (Read 325 times)

jicama

Did we win?

This is what I look like after running a five-hour marathon this past Saturday.  I whined about it in another thread.  What kind of training do I need to do to prevent this EVER happening again?

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

zonykel

did you twist both ankles?

btw, you probably already got an email from the organizers regarding the medal. let me know if you didn't.

I've heard about people with foot and ankle swelling after 50 and 100 milers but swelling after running for 5 hours seems pretty unusual.  You may want to go to the doc.

+1.  This could have something underlying, be it from water retention or other injury.

I've heard about people with foot and ankle swelling after 50 and 100 milers but swelling after running for 5 hours seems pretty unusual.  You may want to go to the doc.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

In general, running more is going to improve your resiliency for the marathon (and get you to the finish line faster to boot).

However, this sort of edema is atypical and I agree you should see your doc about it to make sure there is not an underlying cause.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I tend to be VERY edema-prone, but even after a grade 2 sprain my left ankle was not that swollen.  I would definitely get it looked at.  Also, are you on any BP meds?  I know that one of the ones my DH is on makes his ankles really puffy (though they look more generally cankle-ly, it doesn't give the effect of massive ankle-bone lumps that you're dealing with).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

cmb4314

I had a similarly sized goose egg on my outer ankle this past February.....when I fell on the ice and had a broken bone, an ankle sprain, and a high ankle sprain in there.

That seems like a LOT of swelling for just running - I am relatively prone to swelling in the heat and such, and I've done a 5 hour marathon too, and haven't ever seen that kind of swelling on myself unless I was seriously injured.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

bhearn

Yeah, that looks more like 100-mile ankles than marathon ankles. That said, I did have a lot of edema for a few days once, several years ago, after running a 20-miler in thin shoes on concrete, then putting in a couple of all nighters working at a desk.

jicama

Did we win?

This was the farthest I've ever run.  I only got up to 18 miles in the build-up to this event, having skipped the 20-mile run to rest another injury.  I weigh around 210# and don't have the best running form.  Couple that with the MONSTER hill and does the diagnosis change?

Assuming that I got 100-mile ankles after only 26.2, is it simply a matter of needing more miles?  Are there any exercises I can do to strengthen my ankles?

2014 races"

2013 races:

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

bhearn

I don't totally understand what causes edema as a result of lots of foot pounding, but I'm pretty sure It's not about ankle strength. 210#, five hours of pounding, I'm not too surprised, I guess. I think it's mostly damaged foot tissue attracting cellular repair machinery and associated water, maybe with some associated cause of poor circulation.

If your feet are still swollen, I'd try some compression socks.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This was the farthest I've ever run.  I only got up to 18 miles in the build-up to this event, having skipped the 20-mile run to rest another injury.  I weigh around 210# and don't have the best running form.  Couple that with the MONSTER hill and does the diagnosis change?

Well, there hasn't been a diagnosis.  This is the Internet, and we're random imaginary wisps of consciousness.  Get it checked.

bhearn

Well, there hasn't been a diagnosis.  This is the Internet, and we're random imaginary wisps of consciousness.  Get it checked.

+1

Feeling the growl again

I don't totally understand what causes edema as a result of lots of foot pounding, but I'm pretty sure It's not about ankle strength. 210#, five hours of pounding, I'm not too surprised, I guess. I think it's mostly damaged foot tissue attracting cellular repair machinery and associated water, maybe with some associated cause of poor circulation.

If your feet are still swollen, I'd try some compression socks.

It could be this, or it could be other things which you would not want to miss by not having it checked out.  So +2 to your +1 post which followed this one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

jicama

Did we win?

Yeah.  I've seen this sentiment here several times before.  It's not entirely true.  You're a bunch of variously experienced runners with insight  that could help.

2014 races"

2013 races:

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah.  I've seen this sentiment here several times before.  It's not entirely true.  You're a bunch of variously experienced runners with insight  that could help.

But we're not doctors.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay