Side- stitch (Read 183 times)

Are there any secret solutions to curing the infamous side- stitch while in the middle of a run?

Belly breathing works for me.  Exhale completely, inhale belly first, then chest.  Inhale as much as possible.  Repeat.

kilkee

runktrun

Slow down.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Linda

Nothing works for me once I have them.  But I can tell that the more trained you are for the particular speed that you are running, the less you will get them.  Prevention is the cure.  Race pace training is the prevention.

IG profile @lindasig_runs

Headsweats Ambassador Discount Code  "LINDASIGRUNS"

Over 45 PR's:  5K - 21:21, Half - 1:39:49, Full - 3:33.47

Joann Y

I used to get them more often, not as much any more. I think it is true about being more trained you get them less. What usually kind of works is to slow down and get the breathing steady in whatever way that works for you. I've noticed if I'm pushing too hard and breathing 2 in 2 out that forcing myself to slow down a little and breathe 3 in 3 out will take care of it. Also, I'll dig my fingers directly into the stitch as deep as I can and just keep doing that for a while like I am massaging it out.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Belly breathing works for me.  Exhale completely, inhale belly first, then chest.  Inhale as much as possible.  Repeat.

+1

Also reaching that side's arm over your head and leaning to the opposite side while inhaling sometimes works.  Sometimes hard to do while running.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

LB2

Slow down.

This works every time.

LB2

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Are you getting them while running with others?  I rarely get them while running solo, but if I try to run and carry on a conversation it messes with my breathing and I'll frequently get side aches.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Half Crazy K 2.0

This is another prevention tip. Any chance it is diet related? I found I was constantly getting them when I ran in the morning after having a bagel with almond butter for breakfast. Nixed the almond butter resolved the issue. This was especially true with morning races.

i usually will jam my thumb into the the spot that is causing me a problem mid run as well as exhale 3 times in a row to get as much carbon dioxide out as possible.

also like another commentor posted, could be diet related

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Here is some more insight and background. I have only been getting them the last couple of weeks. Its around mile 4 to 6 that they occur and after that they are gone. I have been eating very healthy the past four months or so. I don't smoke or drink so I know it's not that. As of now I'm averaging about 40- 45 miles per week with one to two long runs in the mix. My goal race is in August and I need to beat this side stitch issue. :/

seeEricaRun

Awesome

I am with you. I always get them if I drink or eat too much either before or during a run. Drinking too much water was always a HUGE culprit for me.

This is another prevention tip. Any chance it is diet related? I found I was constantly getting them when I ran in the morning after having a bagel with almond butter for breakfast. Nixed the almond butter resolved the issue. This was especially true with morning races.

BigGahoona

This is absolutely what worked for me as well. I've been running about 12 years and never had an issue with side stitches ever before and halfway through the Green Bay Marathon this year I had one I couldn't get rid of. And then not another one again until a week ago about halfway through a 5 miler. I had asked around after the marathon side stitch and heard about the belly breathing, and it really worked! The side stitch went away!

I've been trying to use some belly breathing during all my runs now.

Keith Langkan

From my understanding, side stitch is cause when not enough oxygen gets to the lower lungs, whether it be because of how you breath or because you ate food and your stomach has expanded, taking up space near the bottom of your lung. Knowing this, and I'm not certified to be saying that it's right, I tried breathing in a way that pushed air to the bottom of my lungs.

I'm seeing other people suggest stomach breathing, so I think that's the thing that I'm doing too. It helps, but does not make it go away completely.

Chi-townRunner

Ditto what Kilkee said, I used to get them when I started running, but since I've slowed down I don't anymore