Women's winter shoes with wide toebox? (Read 80 times)

Fruchtenstein

Hello.

It seems that my wife is into running, at last Smile. So, I'm looking for a NY running gift -- a pair of girls' running shoes for wide feet with normal pronation. They should be warm (let's say, up to -10-15F) and not slippery. Waterproofing is not necessary, but good cushioning would be an advantage, but not crucial.

And, while we're at it, we'll need a pair for the summer, too: very lightweight and breathable. Again, cushioning would be welcome.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What size does she wear?  I'm an 8-8.5 wide and frequently have to wear men's shoes (I have Nike Free 5.0s in rotation in a men's 7, currently), since a men's medium = a women's wide in a comparable size.  Though the Saucony Kinvara 4 (haven't yet tried the 5) is surprisingly wide, even in a women's fit.  I'm not sure their men's and women's are even all that different.  At one point I tried on a pair of their men's size 7 and didn't find any noticeable difference in fit between that and a women's 8.5.

Trail shoes can be helpful on snow and some offer weather-proof features, but I've not generally found those features to be all that useful.  I was really not fond of the one pair of Gore-Tex shoes I tried, as they were so stiff, overall.  Merino wool socks frequently do a better job keeping my feet warm (though I rarely will run outdoors if it's much <0 because I'm a wuss and we tend to not get all that many days below -5 or so.  Our Winter running issues are definitely more in terms of snow than cold.  We've already had ~3' and hit a record snowfall for the month of November with still a week to go in the month).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Hello.

It seems that my wife is into running, at last Smile. So, I'm looking for a NY running gift -- a pair of girls' running shoes for wide feet with normal pronation. They should be warm (let's say, up to -10-15F) and not slippery. Waterproofing is not necessary, but good cushioning would be an advantage, but not crucial.

And, while we're at it, we'll need a pair for the summer, too: very lightweight and breathable. Again, cushioning would be welcome.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Get her a gift certificate to your local running store.  Then she can go in and get fit for shoes that work real well...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

daneneasexc21

Altras have a really wide toe box ( but it does have a zero drop take that however you would like). However i do not know about the tempurature or for that matter if any shoe keeps your feet particularly warm for the winter. Your feet should be warm enough from running and if not get a pair of swiftwick socks with wool as a side gift. Hope this helped.

daneneasexc21

Ps dont listen to any of the scrubs that tell you to buy the new technology vibrams or free runs that have absolutly no cushion whatsoever. They probably post that while in the hospital having a bone marrow transplant in their shins because of the splints that you get. Buy a pair of major running brand nb, asics, brooks, saucony just not nikes or vibrams. I run in hs and plenty of my teamates will back me up on that statement (18:40 5K 5:30 mile)

Fruchtenstein

What size does she wear?

6.5-7, if the size conversion tables don't lie. I'm afraid, comparable men's shoes would be hard to find. As for Kinvara 4, I had an impression that the men's model was a bit too narrow compared with Asics, for example. I'd rather find something else.

On the other hand, I have a pair of Altra Lone Peak and the fit is great, but the upper is slightly too stiff. But perhaps I should have a look at Torin or Intuition. Another option might be Asics 2000 which comes in E and 2E width, but these sizes are not available on Amazon or Running Warehouse.

As for our local running stores, they are much more expensive and the selection of brands is minimal -- a couple of models of Asics and... and.. And that's about all Smile

It's a good idea about warm socks. But the shoes should be even wider and larger then, I think. Half size up, probably. Swiftwick socks, I beleive, are also made of wol?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

6.5-7, if the size conversion tables don't lie. I'm afraid, comparable men's shoes would be hard to find.

You are correct.  Even a men's 7 is frequently hard to find.  A lot of brands/retailers start at men's 8.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Personally I wouldn't worry about making the shoes wintery -- just get warmer socks.  As for what to buy, if a local running store gift certificate is out, I'd stick with a no-frills trainer from a major brand.  Nothing that's chasing a trend.  She may well like running in minimalist shoes or maximialist shoes, but those are highly personal choices and if she's just getting started and you're buying for her, get something a bit more likely to succeed at first.  Smile

Amazon has a bunch of major brands on sale -- a Saucony Ride, for ex, might be a good match for her.  Free returns, good selection of last year's models which means significant savings.

Most of the major brands have wide widths in one color in their basic trainers.  If her foot isn't super-wide, sometimes you can get a good fit just by going up a half size.   E.g., I prefer a wide width for the toe box room (bunions), and I take an 8.5 in wide, but I can get by with a 9 in regular width.  (Or a 7 in men's shoes, if they can be found.)

Alternative:  get a her a cute running jacket and gloves and hat and a gift certificate to Road Runner or similar online outlet for the shoes.

Checkout the Newton BoCo AT.  I used them all last winter.  The material on top of the toe box provides plenty of warmth.  They have a nice wide toe box as well.

www.mplsrunner.com

Fruchtenstein

Thank you all! I've made up my mind. Putting aside the warmth requirements, I chose a couple of wider models. First, a golden standard -- Asics GT-2000 (size 6.5, 2E). And then a pair with some extra cushioning -- Altra Torin 1.5 (size 7).

Perhaps, I should have considered something with better traction, even though not as wide, like Saucony Peregrine, which I like very much, but the ordeal is over for now Smile I just hope I made no mistakes with the size -- these will be her first running shoes and I only had her everyday shoes as a reference Smile

Thanks again!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Great choices!  I run in the Kayano which is just the fluffy GT-2000, and it's been a great shoe for me.  I started off running in the Torin, and while it wasn't a great match for my foot (love zero drop, need a snugger midfoot), it's a great shoe.  And for future reference, the Peregrine is AWESOME.  A little narrow but so nimble for trails.