The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Joann Y

Not sure about you, but I will agree on behalf of that Minnesota Abe guy

You are definitely one special asshole.

You are definitely one special asshole.

I just may have to change my signature line!

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Julia1971

Well I do resent that: the "new" people are all posting stuff about running in the 1:30 thread and the marathon thread. All we do is talk about running, training, races, etc. The older clique seems most interested in a thread about booze. I haven't seen almost any participation in the actual running threads. And we do meet up in real life: we had 3 people meet up at CIM this past fall, and were planning a big meetup at Boston 21.

Maybe there's more running be discussed by the "original" folks somewhere buried deep in the hidden groups, but I haven't seen that. If there is, it would be great if you guys could point some of it out so others can participate.

The older clique posts about that stuff in groups. Which you all were informed of when you showed up.  So, yes, you don't see it in the main forum because we haven't had dailies there until recently.   If I remember correctly, you all showed up, lobbied to post on the main forum, and the mods you criticize so regularly allowed it.  And yet a few of you continue to complain about them.  SMH.  IMHO, they have been exceedingly tolerant.

By contrast, Baboon's crew, who were also Runner's World forum regulars, came here, were told how the forums worked around here, and took their business to the groups.  From what I have seen, they still talk about running, training, races, etc. and meet up in real life all these years later.  I provide their example not to rehash the discussion of those threads in the main forum but to point out how two groups adapted to the same circumstance and group of people differently.

Maybe stop making the mods job difficult.  It might go a long way towards putting some of the resentment in the past.  (I say this as someone who has been posting on this board for a decade, still considers herself "new", and pissed off people here and there over the yearas.  There's a way to make friends in an online community and a way to make people irritated with you.)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

hey don't you need to update your 5k time?

Did Derek Murphy clear it then???

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Feeling the growl again

Given I'm trying to extend an olive branch here to most of the "original" RAers, I'll just respond to this post out of the other ones that were defensive and say I agree. Especially on the MTA. They're good people.

Not that Spaniel is going to see this among all of this nonsense, but still waiting for his thoughts on the AZ trials.

I'm sorry.  I'm part of the "clique" with limited appetite for prickishness.  Last time I tried to post about running on the main forum one of those making an example of themselves here got prickish so I tuned out again.

Can you re-post your question and I'm happy to respond.  I'll look back later if I have time but appreciate if you can save me the effort.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

rlopez

The invited me and welcomed me with open arms. So your imagination and reality are still separate, and equal. Heck, even some of the people from the way back machine threw it back to where I started in running earlier this year when I was a prick, and searching for knowledge on how to get better...at running.

It seems to be impossible for our special buddy here to make a post without sliding in some weird goddamn reference to racism. I don't get that.

People have moved here from RWOL on three occasions that I recall. This too shall pass. But please, to the small subset of you, stop being dicks. It isn't helping your case. I too have tried to participate here in the main boards re: running, and yeah. What others have said.

Feeling the growl again

Back on topic to perhaps a more important issue:

spaniel - should we be concerned at all with the news from AstraZeneca?

Found it.

“You take any group of 30,000 people, and you watch them over the course of two or three months, it’s likely somebody is going to have an illness that you didn’t expect,” Francis Collins, head of the National Institutes of Health, told NBC. “And until you’re sure that it was not connected to the trial, and you need to put it on clinical hold.”

I think one should be encouraged that the system reacted to the adverse event as it is intended to and called for a pause to investigate as should be done.  Clearly political pressure...which some people are concerned about...didn't get in the way of proper safety precautions.

I have no data to say whether or not the observation itself is related to the vaccine or should be a concern.  Apparently they have resumed the trial so this represents the conclusions of the experts involved.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

rlopez

Well I do resent that: the "new" people are all posting stuff about running in the 1:30 thread and the marathon thread. All we do is talk about running, training, races, etc. The older clique seems most interested in a thread about booze. I haven't seen almost any participation in the actual running threads. And we do meet up in real life: we had 3 people meet up at CIM this past fall, and were planning a big meetup at Boston 21.

Maybe there's more running be discussed by the "original" folks somewhere buried deep in the hidden groups, but I haven't seen that. If there is, it would be great if you guys could point some of it out so others can participate.

So here's the thing. That... well, sure, you have a 1:30 thread (similar stuff used to be elsewhere... once upon a time, we called that the 'minuteman', but I digress) and that's all cool. Pretty sure nobody has gone in there to hassle anyone about it. The marathon thread (again, used to be elsewhere, but that's ok), yeah notsomuch. And no, it was not simply going la ti da fine, not really. And not because of the Mean Old People, nope. That was pretty much where things went sideways. But by all means, when you are discussing marathon stuff in there, please do. Just get on with it and it'll all be ok.

You might find that some of the olds are interested in those subjects too. Maybe. You might also find that we don't constantly harass the mods because what the heck is that about? It isn't all of the new folks, of course, but it is 3 or 4 of you, and for real... what the heck is that about?? And why would any group that thrives on "community" want to let those folks in?

There are some private groups on RA, which will stay unnamed because they are private, where real world meet-ups can be large. Plus SOs and whatnot.

As for cliques, sure the people who have been here 15ish years might be seen as a clique. That's gonna happen. My observation is that the 'clique' thing gets around and some of yall arrived (as a little clique) swinging a stick... at the mods. Whut. 

Anyway, enjoy your running experience. Some of the old folks do that too. Some are really pretty good at it, others aren't, and we all have fun stories to share.

As for that booze thread? It is the "Off the Beaten Path" area, literally created for stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere. If we wanna discuss booze there, well, that's the place for it.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Did Derek Murphy clear it then???

Yes, he personally called me and congratulated me on my new certified PR.

I wonder what he's up to these days with no racing. He must be having a field day with the Boston virtual times.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Found it.

“You take any group of 30,000 people, and you watch them over the course of two or three months, it’s likely somebody is going to have an illness that you didn’t expect,” Francis Collins, head of the National Institutes of Health, told NBC. “And until you’re sure that it was not connected to the trial, and you need to put it on clinical hold.”

I think one should be encouraged that the system reacted to the adverse event as it is intended to and called for a pause to investigate as should be done.  Clearly political pressure...which some people are concerned about...didn't get in the way of proper safety precautions.

I have no data to say whether or not the observation itself is related to the vaccine or should be a concern.  Apparently they have resumed the trial so this represents the conclusions of the experts involved.

It seems like they resumed the trials pretty quickly, so that was the best news out there. And agreed on the political pressure, except aren't they a British company? Not that there isn't pressure there but I'm more worried about the US companies, although the joint statement they put out is reassuring.

What are we going to do when half the population refuses to get a vaccine? Or when someone is vaccinated and says "I want to go out to eat again" but the government is waiting for more people to get vaccinated? It's not going to be pretty.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Half Crazy K 2.0

What are we going to do when half the population refuses to get a vaccine? Or when someone is vaccinated and says "I want to go out to eat again" but the government is waiting for more people to get vaccinated? It's not going to be pretty.

Another piece is will the vaccine be mandatory for some employers? Flu shots already are in some places.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Another piece is will the vaccine be mandatory for some employers? Flu shots already are in some places.

Well that's a big thing I'm worried about. Let's say a vaccine is widely available by spring. If an employee of yours says:

a) I'm too scared to come back into the office on public transportation

b) I want more time to see that this vaccine is safe

What are you going to do? Fire the employee? Let them hold out working at home for another year? It's going to be messy.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well that's a big thing I'm worried about. Let's say a vaccine is widely available by spring. If an employee of yours says:

a) I'm too scared to come back into the office on public transportation

b) I want more time to see that this vaccine is safe

What are you going to do? Fire the employee? Let them hold out working at home for another year? It's going to be messy.

Some reading on the legal aspects.

Generally speaking, yes an employer can require the vaccine, albeit with certain exceptions under the ADA and Civil Rights act.  And an employer can also require an employee to come into the office, less those same exceptions.  But...as Jmac aludes to, there are practical aspects to the situation as well - it can be very bad optics and awful for internal morale to compel someone to come back in under these circumstances.

I do suspect that when a vaccine is here, they may start issuing cards for those who have been vaccinated.  And you may be required to flash that card before boarding an airplane, picking up your bib at a race, etc.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with all this.

We also know nothing about what happened in the AZ trial to cause the pause. So it is hard to comment further.

I understand the AZ trial is still paused in the US.

My .02:

1. It's far from inevitable that half of people will refuse a vaccine. It's the job of the government, public health officials, the healthcare and scientific community and, yes, the media to educate and instill confidence in whatever vaccine eventually becomes available. The anti-maskers among us, for example, are really a small minority of Americans and they can and should be marginalized--the media does a disservice when covers them invading a Target or trying to barge into a school board meeting in Salt Lake (for example) in an effort to go viral without mentioning how much of a minority and how misinformed these idiots are. If we elect leaders that believe in science this will become a lot easier.

2. We'll be really, really lucky if there's a vaccine widely available by next spring.

3. Office work is probably changed forever. My perspective is probably a bit warped because I work for a really progressive company that cares a lot about employee experience, but we're permanently changing our real estate footprint. I suspect that for many, many office workers, the office will become a place you go once or twice a week for meetings or collaboration, and not where you go to sit at a desk--and people who are assigned permanent desks will be the exception, not the norm.

Runners run