What's your favorite interval / speed workout (Read 1940 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish we had more hills (call me crazy, wouldn't be the first time). We have some good hills, but they are usually just a random, steep hill in the middle of lots of flatness. I have one good one I can do repeats on, but it's in the middle of town and I don't really like having shop-owners sit and gawk at the crazy woman running up and down the big hill... Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Scout7

I don't really like having shop-owners sit and gawk at the crazy woman running up and down the big hill...
      Versus any other time they gawk at your craziness?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Right.

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I wish we had more hills (call me crazy, wouldn't be the first time).
          Careful what you wish for -- I have only one road to run from my home (have to cross a very busy highway to go anywhere else), and it's got a quarter mile hill at 8~9% grade. I've gotten so tired of getting hammered by this thing on every short, easy run that I've started running at lunch from work to experience blessed flatness. Gawking shop owners: another runner's badge of honor Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I don't really like having shop-owners sit and gawk at the crazy woman running up and down the big hill... Tongue k
            Oh, let them. Poor guys probably don't have anything better to do with their lives. I get a lot of that when I run in this little town I am in right now. One would think that since there are a lot of runners in Warsaw, people in the suburbs would not be surprised to see a running woman. Wrong. Maybe it's my age or something else... I don't know but for sure they seem to find it entertaining. Ewa
            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Okay, here's another one. I've only tried it twice, and only completed it once. It's not for the faint of heart or sane of brain. Evil grin I call it the "Track Meet" workout Intervals are run at 88~90% effort 1) 3200m followed by 1600m recovery jog 2) 1600m / 800m recovery 3) 800m / 400m recovery 4) 400m / 200m recovery 5) 200m / 100m recovery 6) 100m / easy cool down I actually contemplated trying a long jump after the running, but fortunately, sanity returned at that moment and I went home Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I actually contemplated trying a long jump after the running, but fortunately, sanity returned at that moment and I went home Wink
                That would be part of the Track AND field workout... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

Mishka-old log

From the old track days... I was a 1/2 miler, so the workouts were radicaly different than what most would do here. Workout #1 In the fall we worked on short-recovery endurance: 12 x 400 in lane 8 on a conventional track, interval begins @ the 2-turn stagger line and finishes at the finish. The recovery was about a 25 meter jog before the next interval. These were run at approximately 5k pace. Workout #2 This was a pure speed workout in final preparation for a peak: 3 x 400, full recovery. The effort increased on each repitition. First rep, 6 seconds off 400 PR, Second rep, 4 seconds off 400 PR, Third rep, 2 seconds off 400 PR. The 3rd rep was a maximum effort at that point in the workout. Workout #3 Another pure speed workout serving the same purpose as workout #2: Broken 1000 meter, run as 500, 300, 200. The recovery was full (6-7 min) and the goal was to keep the total accumulated time over the 3 intervals under the 1000 meter world record, which I believe was 2:12 at the time.
                    My thing is distance I found out long ago that I wasn't exceptionally speedy, but I could run for a long time at a pretty decent clip. My favorite speed work out is Yasso 800's. Yasso 800's were 'invented' by Bart Yasso, a (former?) writer for Runner's World. The idea is to start out with 6 800m repeats and build up to 10 or 12. If your goal for the marathon is 4 hours 30 minutes, then the idea is to run each 800m at 4 minutes 30 seconds. The rest inbetween can be walking or a slow jog, approx. 2 minutes. While this is a great workout and it can be indicative of your fitness level, it is not a guarantee that you can run your marathon in your goal time. If you can run 12 800's at 4:30 pace, and the rest of your training is completed fully and you are injury free, then you will probably be in good enough shape to run your marathon goal. It kind of could be more of an indicator of what you can *not* do rather that what you can. For instance, if you are having trouble running 8 or 10 repeats at 4:30, then maybe you should re-think your goals
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

the goal was to keep the total accumulated time over the 3 intervals under the 1000 meter world record, which I believe was 2:12 at the time.
                      You know, if I were a world-class runner, I'd specialize in distances that almost no one races (like the 1000m, for example). That way , if I set a record, it would have a better chance of lasting a long time Clowning around

Mishka-old log

The 1000m is relatively obscure...probably only run 2-3 times per year at the world-class level. Even more obscure...the 1000 yards. I think the world record is held by American, Rick Wolhuter, who was very fast in his day, but you'd need both hands to count the number of athletes that could better that today.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, if I were a world-class runner, I'd specialize in distances that almost no one races (like the 1000m, for example). That way , if I set a record, it would have a better chance of lasting a long time Clowning around
                          I always wished that there was a 300m. 200 was a little short, but 400 scared me. The 300 hurdles would have been great...without the damned hurdles (short legs and hurdles aren't compatible). Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

I did this interval run today: 10 minutes warm-up 6 x (1 minute hard + 3 minutes easy) 10 minutes warm-down. ~George
                            When will I run another marathon? When I forget how much the first one hurt.