My First Win (Read 1143 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

6:07 first mile...next 3 miles (6:23, 6:19, 6:18) and coast into the finish chute at 25:14

6:07

6:23

6:19

6:18 +

----------

= 25:07

Looks like a 4 miler +/- 7 seconds.

Queen of 3rd Place

Hey I think this is so cool. Enjoy it. And I'll bet the folks spectating were impressed!

Ex runner

Muebele

congrats, if the win feels hollow, just think about all those races that you PR'd in but some local superstar showed up and killed it.

It all balances out in the end.

I finished 2nd in two races before, but was over 90 seconds behind the leader, so those races are a little hollow for me too

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

6:07

6:23

6:19

6:18 +

----------

= 25:07

Looks like a 4 miler +/- 7 seconds.

You are right . It hit me like a brick this morning.Embarrassed

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Way to go!

Winning a race is #412 on the list of things that. will. never. happen. to me.

If someone really wants to win a race, I suggest relocating to Atlanta!  With the nice mild weather, there area about a million races every weekend and so you can do well without bothering with too much speedwork. Wink  I have won a race overall (5K) in 21:07, and overall female several times more, with the slowest time 24:32 (though that one was hot, humid, and super hilly).  I think they are cool experiences even sans PR.  The one I was first overall in, I got to run behind the motorcycle and made me realize how very much harder it is to run a good time (for me) and WIN - people behind me to worry about and get under my skin, feeling more tired and more complacent on pace --- hard even in the races as overall female and very hard with no men even to help..... I realized that (for me anyhow) winning a race and leading the pack the whole way even without a PR is more difficult than running a PR effort in the middle of the pack. It's a different world!

kcam

If someone really wants to win a race, I suggest relocating to Atlanta!  With the nice mild weather, there area about a million races every weekend and so you can do well without bothering with too much speedwork. Wink  I have won a race overall (5K) in 21:07, and overall female several times more, with the slowest time 24:32 (though that one was hot, humid, and super hilly).  I think they are cool experiences even sans PR.  The one I was first overall in, I got to run behind the motorcycle and made me realize how very much harder it is to run a good time (for me) and WIN - people behind me to worry about and get under my skin, feeling more tired and more complacent on pace --- hard even in the races as overall female and very hard with no men even to help..... I realized that (for me anyhow) winning a race and leading the pack the whole way even without a PR is more difficult than running a PR effort in the middle of the pack. It's a different world!

I can only imagine leading a race but, if you're not used to it, I'd guess it could be pretty stressful.  Do I turn right here?  Is this the 10th lap or the 11th lap?  Seriously, I've had those nightmares.

I say enjoy it to the fullest!

My teammate and great friend was runner of the year who went nearly undefeated his last 3 years of high school.  I beat him a total of 3 times in high school, and once was because he collapsed during the race with an illness.  There was another guy who was great at 400-800 and would sit and kick in the mile on me.  Consequently, I finished 2nd or 3rd about 100 times in high school cross country and track, winning a total of 5 non-relay races (only once head to head with them).   Had I gone to any other school in the county, I would have won 1-2 races per meet in track and pretty much every other cross country race.  So if I end up running maybe 19 for 5K and its a win, I would feel like it makes up for some of that!

Its always great to win.  The pace its done in doesn't matter.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

You must live in the mountains of North GA! Nice and mild. Shocked  Most of my runs this summer  were at 72+ F at 4:30 AM.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I won my ag in a 5k back in June with a slow winning time (but not far off my pr),  2 weeks later beat that time & set new pr & finished 6th in ag.  first race the faster runners in ag must have ran the 10k (2nd 5k there was only the 5k-no 10K).  in May ran a HM & placed in ag.  2 weeks ago in another HM, knocked off nearly 2 minutes, set a pr & finished 8th in ag.    point is, enjoy it while you can & don't apologize.  Only time I can remember winning a running race was way back in Junior high when we were being timed in the 100 yds (yes, yds not meters.  tells you how long ago that was, ha). set school record at the time which I am sure has been beaten hundreds (maybe thousands) of times since.

my first win yesterday...a 2 mile race at high school homecoming. Was actually slower than 2 mile split for 5K a few weeks ago - think i was distracted (or thrown off) by being so far ahead, was fairly obvious even before the mile that i was going to win. Coffee mug with the school logo was neat trophy, but even better was hearing my 2 and 4 year olds scream "Yeah DADDY!" as approached the finish, and hearing the MC announce as he was fumbling looking to match the bib/name..."and our winner is....Daddy!". Just neat.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes