Thoughts on chripractors/A.R.T.? (Read 756 times)

Well, I just got back. I don't have scoliosis at all and overall my spine looks fine. The muscles in my neck and upper back were just extremely tight and knotted up. First they used this electrical stimulation machine on the muscles in my back which seemed to loosen them up some. Next he went into deep tissue massage and worked out the knots. This was pretty painful at times but seemed to really help. I'm pretty sore from this. Next he kind of cracked my neck because it was out of line and was pulling on the muscle on one side of my neck more than the other. He went down my spine and pushed hard in about three spots which produced a lot of cracking and popping. He showed my a couple of stretches to do several times a day to keep my neck and upper back loose. He told me everything looked good and that I probably wouldn't need to come back anytime soon being that I'm active and in good shape, but next time it acts up to call him. Overall I'm happy with the visit, he didn't push anything on me, no gimmicks, snake oil, magical fruit juice, etc, and only did what was needed.
    obiebyke

Sounds like the best possible appointment. Yay!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JakeKnight

I've heard neck adjustments can be potentially fatal
        My 26 year old cousin died on a chiroprators table while an "adjustment was made" sinus realted issues or something or other. Personally, I'll never trust one after that.
        Shocked Well, so much for ever visiting a chiropractor. I think you two just gave me my first official phobia. That's horrible about your cousin.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

finney

Resident pinniped

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin and I'm not going to say that the chiropractic adjustment wasn't the cause. However, I have read that in those cases, there was usually an anomaly with the person's veins or whatnot that would have been fatal at some point in the future anyway, and the adjustment just triggered them to "go off". Out of all the adjustments done every day, you only hear of a case like this once every few years. Compare that to the number of people who die from errors in "traditional" medicine and I think chiropractic still comes out looking pretty good. RacingThoughts, it seems like your visit went very well. You probably just had some minor misalignments causing your muscle tension that should be squared away now. It seems like you found an ethical, reasonable, "straight" chiropractor (the kind that treat and deal with ONLY misalignments of the spine and joints and pain associated with those problems) and those are the only kind I'd trust.

...---...

And I'm not saying DON'T go to a chiropractor...just know who it is you're letting fool around with your vertibrae. Ask for their credentials, experience, etc...just as you would if you were choosing a new physician. My cousin's particular chiropractor neglected to take X-Ray's (not even sure if he had an X-Ray on site) and, while making an adjustment to her neck, hit her brain stem...Out went the lights. My aunt sued and was awarded a settlement quickly. After she covered her legal and medical fees, she used the other money to start a foundation. The foundation lobbies Washington pushing for reform and more strict legislation governing this field. Since then, and as a result of the foundation and others like it, the requirements for chiroprators has come a long long way. Connie Chung did a story on this not long after it happened...and although I feel for the chiropractor who was publicly humiliated on a national level as a result of NBC's snooping, this raised a critical awareness that has certainly benefited those who currently see or have previously sought treatment from chiropractors. Not to mention helped many other chiroprators avoid this foolish fate. There's always a silver lining: awareness has increased, requirments to practice as a chiropractor has increased and become more demanding (weed out those who have no business practicing), and since my cousin was a very healthy vibrant 26 year old woman, the far majority of her organs were donated that certainly gave a dozen others another chance to improve the quality of their lives...if not having spared their lives for a while. So all was not lost...but we still miss her. But as I say above, this field has come a LONG way, ut still,inform yourself about what it is you're getting into and know something about the treatment as you would if you were seeking treatment from a MD. Sorry to have hijacked this thread.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gabriel808

My experience with Chiropractor & ART was excellent.....last year I had a lot of scar tissue building up in my right calf muscle that was becoming more painful with each run.....a friend of mine who owns a local running store refered me to Dr. Greg......within 2-3 sessions I was back on my feet running without any major discomfort....I was grateful for his technique in getting me back on the road.