Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks to all who commented on the race.  This "team" was absolutely with me when the going got tough....I knew if I slacked off I'd have to face the unflinching gaze (over the web) of Mikkey

Fishy - Very impressed with that half! 👍….but you’ll only get away with a 3:10 goal at Boston if there’s a 50mpw headwind. I’ve got my eye on you.

Steve - Interesting that you feel great 4 weeks out during peak marathon training. I’m one of those shallow people who judges folk on their race performance, but I have a feeling that you’ll surprise yourself. 👍

dk - I do pretty much the same as you regarding calf stretches/strengthening. But a breakthrough for me is Myofascial Release massage which has really helped and I’ll continue with it every month as all other mild niggles have eased off (ie, long term issue re shoulder). 

Flavio - I ran Valencia in 2021 and it’s the perfect course if you want to run a legit marathon PB.

Milkman - If you don’t run a Moose Mug time CIM then I will refuse to talk to you after the race.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mmerkle

Fishy Congrats on the new PR. I'm glad to see it's updated so to speak, since before it was the same pace as your full?

Krash Nicely done and badass as always. I continue to be intrigued by these types of races...

My Week Last week was nothing special and there's a lot going on here. 1 JD workout, the TLT 20 min tempo 1 hour easy 20 min tempo. One MP run, 55 miles total and 12.5k of rowing.

JMac Nice race. I know it's not exactly what you wanted but that's a solid day for a crowded and difficult course in my opinion.

Commander You train like a maniac all the time. I think a down week here and there is alright.

Andy "After baseball, I hit the ice bath and drank beer the rest of the day while playing Mario Cart with my kids." That's a great day right there! I too have to pee a ridiculous number of times before a race.

As a poststructuralist, I have an allergic reaction to any sort of binaries, and so am inclined to feel that the concept of two sexes is too simplistic, as many leading science journals are publishing now. I wasn’t pointing to hermaphroditism as much as to sex as a  “context-dependent multidimensional variable.” 

At the same time, I’m a researcher, and so I can’t ignore that there are publications to the contrary as well. This one article I found acknowledges the trend in biomedical sciences to accommodate sex as a spectrum and not a binary, but pushes back against that to argue (rather persuasively), that this relativist view opposes fundamental biological facts.    https://doi.org/10.1002/bies.202200173

I promise I'm not being facetious, but the concept of two sexes is too simplistic.... for what? What is there to be gained from regarding, what seem to me to be rare special cases but correct me if I'm wrong there, as biological sexes in their own right? I can imagine a biologist making some argument about classification. And maybe that finer classification can be useful in medicine. So ok, they can/should acknowledge it. But in everyday settings and language? Is it worth society getting to the point where someone gets corrected (or worse) every time they only mention the male and female sexes in a typical conversation, speech, drop down menu for an event sign-up, etc?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Okay have a bit of time to post outside of my dogcatching interests:

RP - yeah, just a loud spray sound. Imagine the sound of a truck releasing it's brakes. That's sort of what it sounds like. Also, I think dog entitlement has only gotten worse with COVID. "My dog is good, so I don't have to follow any of the rules" seems to be a prevailing theme. It's amazing.

Funny related story: I walked my dog Saturday morning with my daughter, and she wanted our dog to come with us to the bagel store. I told her no, we need to drop off the dog, because dogs aren't allowed in the bagel store. Of course, we get to the store, and there's a dog in the store, and she asked "why is there a dog?" How do you tell a 2 year old that some people are entitled assholes who don't think rules apply to them? Like bringing your dog into Target is one thing. Bringing your dog into a FOOD establishment, and then sitting down to eat with that dog, is a different story. Anybody who is afraid of dogs? Anybody allergic to dogs? Too bad for you, these people just needed to bring their dog with them.

Okay end rant on entitled dog owners.

Fishy - congrats on the race, but I agree with Mikkey - are you kidding me with a 3:10 goal? Take that shit over to the Waltons. Your new goal, per rule 7, is now 3:02, with a "great day" giving you a 2:59. And yes, we dealt with the wind here in NYC as well, which made for a cold tough race, which is an extra reason why your goal is no longer 3:09!

Mikkey - If I don't get a Moose Mug at CIM, I'm just going to keep running straight into the Pacific Ocean at the end of the race. There's no point in living without one.

Steve - I haven't been following your training as closely this time (which maybe is a good thing ) but I am really happy to hear how you're feeling. We all know your last training didn't make sense. If you said you feel exactly the same as last time, I'd be worried. You're in for a big payday if you get good weather.

DK - I don't think CIM has ever been hot. The worst weather you will deal with is either heavy rain, or a headwind. But heat is never really a risk. I can't think of a single one that was over 57 or so.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DK - I don't think CIM has ever been hot. The worst weather you will deal with is either heavy rain, or a headwind. But heat is never really a risk. I can't think of a single one that was over 57 or so.

FindMyMarathon.com gives you historical weather for all marathons for the past 15 years. One year CIM was 59 at the start - that was the warmest. Most years, it's pretty close to perfect. Honestly this might be the reason everyone considers it a fast race, even more so than any downhill effect. There are not many races with more reliable weather.

https://findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=California%20International%20Marathon&year=

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Funny related story: I walked my dog Saturday morning with my daughter, and she wanted our dog to come with us to the bagel store. I told her no, we need to drop off the dog, because dogs aren't allowed in the bagel store. Of course, we get to the store, and there's a dog in the store, and she asked "why is there a dog?" How do you tell a 2 year old that some people are entitled assholes who don't think rules apply to them? Like bringing your dog into Target is one thing. Bringing your dog into a FOOD establishment, and then sitting down to eat with that dog, is a different story. Anybody who is afraid of dogs? Anybody allergic to dogs? Too bad for you, these people just needed to bring their dog with them.

Well since you asked you tell them your opinion and make sure the dog owner hears it.

"this person thinks their dog is the same as a person being on a leash. In their mind that dog who doesn't go to school, and has no rights or responsibilities is the exact same as you who has a social security number and will eventually pay taxes. Maybe they thought this was a dog store and they're just walking around looking for other people with dogs."

I know....everyone is just SHOCKED at my response to this "probably rhetorical" question. 

I saw two people bring dogs to grocery stores yesterday. one had the stupid fake "blind seeing eye dog" bullshit vest. I so wish someone with power had the balls to make those folks show certified documents. It's never acceptable to bring your dog to target, home depot, safeway, the Empire State building, a graveyard, the post office, your work office, or a bike shop. Your dog/bird/lizard/iguana/aligator/lion/shark/duckbilled platypus can stay at home. Just like my kids when I go running and they're 5.

CIM other than the "monsoon" year I haven't run it enough to say anything besides "it's cold at the start, pretty humid compared to the desert, and gray skies."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Fishy - congrats on the race, but I agree with Mikkey - are you kidding me with a 3:10 goal? Take that shit over to the Waltons. Your new goal, per rule 7, is now 3:02, with a "great day" giving you a 2:59. And yes, we dealt with the wind here in NYC as well, which made for a cold tough race, which is an extra reason why your goal is no longer 3:09!

See previous comment about needing commas in the title.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - If I don't get a Moose Mug at CIM, I'm just going to keep running straight into the Pacific Ocean at the end of the race. There's no point in living without one.

You’ll get the Moose Mug 100%. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Pain is my friend

I guess I am a man of few words. I’m to the point. Many loops are the same. Pace, what I eat, what I drink and the direction. At the start of the race one guy took off in the dark ahead of me. I could see his light for almost all of the first loop. He was a ghost to me. I know he was in front of me but never saw him. I finally got my first glimpse of him at my 47. He blow up and I passed him on mile 38. Goal pace was 8:45-9 for the whole race. I have done it before for a 100 miler. But it was a different course and day. Different weather. I do feel like a 5 year old at times. “Ya I am just going to run circles for as long as I can. Oh look at that trail. I want to go that way.” Like many races you will have doubts or dark moments. But what you do about it is what matters most. 

I first set the course record back in 2016 with 72 miles. I lost my CR in 2019 at 75.2 miles. I beat the CR by 1 mile and beat the next guy in the race by 11 miles. I stared to get sick on Wednesday. I took some DayQuil and I was good to go. 

I have been doing 100 milers for 11 years. I have run 17- 100 or more miles. I have never DNF’ed. in my mind it’s not an option. I feel I found a key to success, enabling me to run easily with minimal problems I can’t fix.

That’s it? 12 hours of running with a course record and you write three paragraphs. It’s like asking my 5 year old how school was. “I ran, and when it got hard I kept running and then I won.”

edit

fishy 1:24?!?!?!? Wow that’s awesome.

this place really IS filled with competitive folks. I think there needs to be a comma or two in the title.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Dorothea - I get where you're coming from (sort of) but some things just are binary.  Yes, not everyone has stereotypical male or female characteristics, but everyone is male or female.  There are many things to be offended by, why include scientific facts (not saying you are!)?

JMac - Don't worry, I'll do a preview before the race and include a training review.  The short version is similar mileage, fewer crazy long runs, more speed and strength.  Since you mentioned weather and I know how much you rate long range forecasts...the current forecast for April 16 is 17C which probably means 10C at race start.  In all seriousness though, April is usually pretty stable.  The one outlier I remember was on the day of the ChCh marathon 2021 when it was 27C and carnage.

Mikkey - "Great" is relative.  I have plenty of fatigue but by this time of the last cycle I'd blown up with cramp 3-4 times with my worst episode 3 weeks out which had me on the floor for an hour at times in excruciating pain.

RP - Yep, new coach.  And new physio helping me with strength training.

Dogs - I've ranted enough in the past about dogs...I now don't run in any off leash parks (or domains) but I still run past people on busy roads who seem to like to show off their dog can go off leash.  Makes me so nervous and I'm always ready for the lunge.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

Jeeze.... can't a guy even bask in the glow for one day before the trolls on this thread start harassing them

Mikkey/Jmac Yes- I suspected the goal for Boston would need to be adjusted  Nothing makes me happier than even thinking about sub 3 again.  It's been a long journey back into shape and it will take some great weather AND some smart race management AND some luck to give it a shot.  Maybe I'll just take the "easy way out" and try for it at CIM...I've heard its a really fast cheater course

Near the end of the Half I swear I saw Flavio in a superman costume riding a majestic unicorn!

Foolishness aside- MERK This was the first time I trained specifically for a half marathon as a goal race.  My workouts were targeted for the race and I tapered for it.  All of my other half's were either in the middle of training with no taper or shortly after a marathon to try to enjoy fitness gains. My previous half marathon PR was the second half of my one and only sub 3 marathon in Boston 2015. Just hoping I can coax a little more out of these old legs. Or maybe even a moose mug so I can "retire" and raise whippets (or some other cute white dogs)

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fishy - When you hit 50 years old then you start to do everything possible to make life easier….and being a runner it’s a wise decision to choose CIM as a goal marathon!  Tell me someone who has run there and didn’t get a PR!

Fishyone

Fishy - When you hit 50 years old then you start to do everything possible to make life easier….and being a runner it’s a wise decision to choose CIM as a goal marathon!  Tell me someone who has run there and didn’t get a PR!

Agreed on both counts! I'm just worried it will be full by the time I decide to sign up

Steve- I agree that feeling great 4 weeks out is a really good sign....probably because I'm 4 weeks out and feel good too.

Just a warning to all....After being stubborn for years I finally coughed up the $7 per month (after the free month) and subscribed to Strava so if you get a "follow" request it may be me.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Near the end of the Half I swear I saw Flavio in a superman costume riding a majestic unicorn!

Lord Commander - I humbly suggest that this is front page material!

Mikkey - Thanks for the info, is that the one where you took a siesta by the side of the road near the last km?

Jmac - thanks for the info, I'm still not convinced it works, given the amount of negative reviews stating so, but it's only 12 euros at Amazon Spain, so I might buy it and try it against barking dogs.
                            I think today I found the best analogy to state how non-dog people feel about this:

Imagine if somebody was walking down a crowded sidewalk with a gun on their hand, ready to shoot.
                            Then sometimes they'd point their gun at somebody, and when that person becomes startled, they just chuckle and say "don't worry, I'm just kidding".
                            Then sometimes they will accidentally fire a shot and if it hits somebody, they say it's their fault for being there when the shot passed.

Whereas somebody like you, RP or Steve might advocate for fines or harsh warnings from police officers, I believe jail time is needed.

I get what you say about if I harm a dog I might run into trouble with the owner, however, for the sake of argument:
                            I will do my absolute best to avoid these kinds of people and dogs. I will often turn around, cross the street, go around the block when I spot them about 50m ahead of me.
                            I stand undefeated in street fights with a record of 0/0, meaning, I was wise enough to never get into one.
                            Now if all that failed and a dog is about to attack me I'm doomed either way. The best case scenario is the dog jumps me but does not bite, in which case I'll have PTSD for a couple of weeks.
                            So if said annoying noise + standing tall facing the dog + making growl sounds does not work with the dog, I'll work to neutralize/kill the dog. And then run away at mile pace 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Thanks for the info, is that the one where you took a siesta by the side of the road near the last km?

Yes, I had a romantic encounter with a barrier just before the finish line which cost me a couple of minutes.

If you do run it make sure to bring safety pins for your bib as they don’t provide them.

ETA - It’s a very competitive race so if you’re shooting for sub3 or thereabouts you’ll have plenty of groups to run with. 👍

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dogs - I've been bit twice, once while running. What was the first thing each owner said upon learning their precious "fur baby" bit me? "Oh, my dog would never do that."
                                Really, lady? Then why is my butt cheek suddenly bleeding?!

JMac - You can't keep running past the CIM stop and get to the ocean - you're heading back inland at that point! Plus there's that annoying state capitol in the way, complete with a runner's worst enemy at that point - stairs.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27