2010 Goal of Sub 3:00 marathon (Read 8721 times)

DoppleBock

Good, moderate, consistent ... yet repeatable mileage and workouts

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Morning all.  Thanks DB for taking this over for Jim.

Last fall my races included a 18:26 5K,  Portland marathon in 3:00:18 last Oct., and Dec ran 1:23:55 half.  So I'm in training for Boston and am setting my sights on a 2:57 or 2:58.  

I see some new names.  Good luck in your training and racing.

ks

ksrunr All American 10K Feb. '10 Cowtown Half marathon Feb. '10 Boston '10

DoppleBock

Next Up

aaronuni - 01/10/10 Disney World Marathon, Orlando, FL

How is taper going?

Have a great race this weekend!

jdmcgregor

All business

Hey Dopple Bock,

I tend to lurk this thread as I'd love to make a sub 3 hr time.  I guess I'm going to go ahead and throw in my hat in too.  I'm committed to increasing the milage this year, and think I can do it, and PR.  While I don't currently have a race in mind, I'll say it will be the Eugene Marathon on May 2nd, as I'll most likely to run it. 

My PR is currently 3:08:56 so I've got some time to shave off!

Right now, I'm trying to get my weekly mileage up and it's nice to see the logs of some guys that are doing it.  Did you ever consider making this a 'group' as an easy way to group and observe other people's mileage?  Just a thought.

Thanks

Chris

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

DoppleBock

I got you Chris

Everyone is an experiement of 1, and we have to do what works for us ... but I am a firm believer in doing moderate to high end of moderate speed workouts and no hero workouts - If at the end of a workout you felt like you ran a race, it was too much.

Workouts that are repeatable every week - I actually like this time of year.  Not a lot going on, lots of games on the TV - January is the time when hope for the upcoming racing year springs eternal!

TMorin

I'm not a huge fan of pace groups but with 13 people trying to break 3 hours at Boston we could start our own.
              Aaron Heath

Next Up

aaronuni - 01/10/10 Disney World Marathon, Orlando, FL

How is taper going?

Have a great race this weekend!

Thanks!

It's going well. I feel like I'm ready for this thing. I ran a 37.10 10k last Sunday - that's good for the taper, right? That was about a 5 minute PR for me. That tells me that my training paid off, now all I need to do is maintain a decent pace for the entire marathon. This will be my 3rd marathon, but I've run two ultras since my last one, plus a lot more miles than before. My current PR is 3:11, so we'll see!

I'll report back next week.

Aaron

DoppleBock

Be patient, not greedy.  I would set a lower limit = I will not run a mile faster than x. where x = 6:40 or 6:42 - If I run a 6:42, I will slow down and relax.  The whole goal depends on getting to 20 miles in good shape and then showing your guts the last 6.2!

Good runing to you!

Aaron Heath

Thanks Dopple Bock! Good advice. I'll definitely keep it in mind.
                      Good luck aaronuni.  That's a nice 10k.   Run a smart race and you'll be the first to graduate this year.

altmizzle

Thanks!

It's going well. I feel like I'm ready for this thing. I ran a 37.10 10k last Sunday - that's good for the taper, right? That was about a 5 minute PR for me. That tells me that my training paid off, now all I need to do is maintain a decent pace for the entire marathon. This will be my 3rd marathon, but I've run two ultras since my last one, plus a lot more miles than before. My current PR is 3:11, so we'll see!

I'll report back next week.

Aaron

Wow, nice job on that 10k.  It does indeed sound like your training has paid off.  Good luck with the marathon!

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

altmizzle

Good, moderate, consistent ... yet repeatable mileage and workouts

Good advice!

"If within us, we find nothing above us, we succumb to whatever is around us."

HermosaBoy

Can I join the party late (and pending a read through all the posts)???

I am shooting for 2:44:48 @ Boston and then gonna step it up and try for 2:39:5x at a TBD fall marathon...

Rob

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Hi Rob.   Only a couple on here who run that fast.  I'll just watch your training.  Smile

DoppleBock

Can I join the party late (and pending a read through all the posts)???

I am shooting for 2:44:48 @ Boston and then gonna step it up and try for 2:39:5x at a TBD fall marathon...

Rob

Rob, I have you down < old PR @ Boston