2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

CalBears

If I was doing the Hadd mini-test I’d probably change the HR datafield to Lap HR and set the lap at 2400m (and the first 2 laps would be a 3 mile w/u).

Ok, I see now. Back in 2015 I programmed workouts for CIM training and those were programmed in minutes not miles - so, I had some 2-3 miles laps as a whole. Looks like when I program in miles, it still splits by 1 mile, because of the mile split setting for the watch. So, I have to set split to 1.5 mile just for this workout manually - I wish there was a possibility to program split distance just for a workout, so Garmin would use it just for a specific workout. But yes, will try to set this setting next time.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

kcam

Cal,

Go to Garmin Connect.  You can setup a workout that will do that exactly.  I created this one (that can now be downloaded to my watch) but I don't know how to share it with you.  Not that I could run this workout as my HRmax is like 165 or so!  It takes almost no effort to create it and then download to your 935.

Hadd Test Workout created on Garmin Connect

Marky_Mark_17

Sorry I've been a bit lax on this thread keeping up with everyone's weeklies... anyway fingers crossed things have been pretty good in New Zealand and I'm optimistic we'll be racing by August / September.  We moved to a reduced level of lockdown this week and mass gathering restrictions would be the next thing to start loosening.  Only 1 case in the last 5 days and that was an earlier case which had returned a false negative.

I've decided I'll target Rotorua Marathon (which was postponed from May to late September) which is quite a legendary marathon, apparently the oldest in Australasia.  Kind of a bucket list race regardless.  The course is here for anyone interested: https://nz.mapometer.com/running/route_2724795.html.  It's not the fastest course with a few tough hills in the middle, but the first and last third of the race are both pretty flat.  Great scenery too as it basically circuits a lake.  It's also NZ Marathon Champs this year so it should attract a pretty good field.

Anyway my week was pretty good, slightly lighter than last week.  I had a moderate workout Tues, tough one Wed (4 x 7 min hard / 3 min easy) and a tough track session Saturday (8 x 800m, 200m jog recovery).  Legs were a little heavy for Saturday's workout but not too bad.

Weekly for period: From: 05/11/2020 To 05/17/2020

Date Name Distance
        in mi
        Duration Avg Pace
        per mi
        Elevation Gain
        in ft
        05/11/2020 Day 33+14: Much needed day off running 0.00 00:45:00 00:00 0
        05/12/2020 Day 33+15: 2 laps and 6 strides 6.43 00:46:11 07:11 279
        05/13/2020 Day 33+16: The end of the lockdown counter (I hope)... now the question is just when can we start racing again? 10.78 01:12:05 06:41 367
        05/14/2020 🎵 Bring me the dramatic intro machine 🎵 9.48 01:02:04 06:33 262
        05/15/2020 Genuinely trying to run easy 5.00 00:40:00 08:00 535
        05/16/2020 EIGHT HUNDREEEEEEEED REPEATS 🤘 9.33 00:57:23 06:09 66
        05/17/2020 This is why I never get sick of Hobsonville Pt Coastal Walkway laps 16.25 01:59:39 07:22 883

Total distance: 57.26mi

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

Cal,

Go to Garmin Connect.  You can setup a workout that will do that exactly.  I created this one (that can now be downloaded to my watch) but I don't know how to share it with you.  Not that I could run this workout as my HRmax is like 165 or so!  It takes almost no effort to create it and then download to your 935.

Hadd Test Workout created on Garmin Connect

kcam - I have exactly the same workout created in Garmin Connect, only I use 1.5 miles for sets at different HRs. I upload it to the watch, but when I do the workout, Strava shows my 1.5 miles set as 1 mile and 0.5 mile, not 1.5 miles as whole as I expecting. I guess I have to change Auto-Lap from 1 mile to 1.5 mile to have my 1.5 miles set reported as one. I am just saying - my last two Hadd's tests were done using exactly the way you described - from Garmin Connect to my watch. I did that already in 2015, but back then I was entering workouts in minutes and Strava didn't spilt my sets in miles, maybe by time works differently than by distance.

Btw, I also see your latest tempo runs split by 1 mile - I do not see it as a whole.

kcam

I think Strava can't be fooled into reporting 1.5mile splits (or any split other than 1 mile).  The reason I think that is that on those tempo runs you mentioned I have my FR230 autolap set to 'OFF'.  So there are no splits at all recorded by the watch - one big run of however many miles.  Strava itself splits into 1 mile laps, never seen a Strava setting to change this.  I'd think that even if you changed your watch autosplit to 1.5miles Strava will still split it into 1 mile chunks.  Easy enough for us to check on just any old run.

I'm going to try to run a 150bpm 10miler tomorrow AM to see how I hold up.  Mostly flat course as opposed to the crazy hilly courses I've been doing those tempos on.

CalBears

I think Strava can't be fooled into reporting 1.5mile splits (or any split other than 1 mile).  The reason I think that is that on those tempo runs you mentioned I have my FR230 autolap set to 'OFF'.  So there are no splits at all recorded by the watch - one big run of however many miles.  Strava itself splits into 1 mile laps, never seen a Strava setting to change this.  I'd think that even if you changed your watch autosplit to 1.5miles Strava will still split it into 1 mile chunks.  Easy enough for us to check on just any old run.

I'm going to try to run a 150bpm 10miler tomorrow AM to see how I hold up.  Mostly flat course as opposed to the crazy hilly courses I've been doing those tempos on.

Well... I am pretty sure if you set your auto-lap to 1.5 file Strava will be reporting 1.5 miles - not in Splits section, no, but in Laps section. I know plenty of people who have auto-lap set to 0.25 or 0.5 for some only them know reasons.

another 2am post-shift dispatch:

Marky & Piwi - I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night (because I'm obsessed with What we do in the shadows).  Beautiful scenery, maybe a bit too sentimental for me, but I enjoyed it.

My recent covid opinions: 

- many people (like me) are not susceptible, and yet don't have detectable antibodies???  (Quote me on this in a few months).

- very few FRESH cases for 4 weeks in NYC. (ignore the cases stat).  I suspect covid is fading, and not just from social distancing.

- everything is political... I'm a moderate democrat, but I'm leaning RED on this (i.e. loosen it up)

My hips are good, but my knees are shit.

Hey to all y'all!!

Marky_Mark_17

Marky & Piwi - I watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople last night (because I'm obsessed with What we do in the shadows).  Beautiful scenery, maybe a bit too sentimental for me, but I enjoyed it.

If you like What We Do in the Shadows, see if you can find a way to stream Wellington Paranormal - it’s basically a TV series they came up with off the back of WWDITS.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

kcam

Well... I am pretty sure if you set your auto-lap to 1.5 file Strava will be reporting 1.5 miles - not in Splits section, no, but in Laps section. I know plenty of people who have auto-lap set to 0.25 or 0.5 for some only them know reasons.

I still have never seen 'Laps' on either the Strava mobile app or on the web version.  Only 'splits' and that seems to always be miles (unless maybe you change your default distance system to metric, then maybe it'd be kms?).  Am I not seeing 'Laps' because I'm a cheepskate and use the free version?

CalBears

Marky - I am used to your relatively fast weeks and this time I was looking at your runs and thinking - somehow it seems too slow Smile. Also, I have never heard any of the shows/movies you and Rovatti mentioned, but I am cool with that .

My week was decent, did another Hadd's test and results were not bad.

Mon - 12.5 @8:25

Tue - 12.5 @7:37  (10 @150 bpm @7:19) - am /  8.2 @8:55 - pm

Wed - 12.7 @8:41

Thu - 12.5 @8:29

Fri - 12.5 @8:14 (Hadd's test) - am / 8.2 @8:42 - pm

Sat - 12.5 @8:49 - am / 8.2 @8:52 - pm

Sun - 8.2 @9:08

===

Total: 108.4 miles

The most interesting results of Hadd's test were - 7:02 pace @150bpm, 6:32 @160bpm and 6:11 @170bpm. The improvement comparing to the previous test 6 weeks ago was pretty noticeable for all the heart rate ranges. I am really starting to feel good about all this, I even thinking about 2:50 marathon now - I think it's reasonable - I think if I can get my 10 miles runs @150 bpm under 7 minutes pace and Hadd's test @170bpm under 6 minutes pace, 6:30 for a marathon might look like a totally reasonable goal - considering that my avg marathon HR is around 165 bpm.

CalBears

I still have never seen 'Laps' on either the Strava mobile app or on the web version.  Only 'splits' and that seems to always be miles (unless maybe you change your default distance system to metric, then maybe it'd be kms?).  Am I not seeing 'Laps' because I'm a cheepskate and use the free version?

Most of the runners I know use free version of Strava, including me Smile First I thought it somehow related to your watch, but then I checked my daughter's data from the cheapest FR15 and Laps were there. Then I just googled and I think I found the answer - you need to go to Strava desktop, click on the icon at the top right corner, click Settings in the opened menu and click Data Permissions on the left-side menu  - then you just need to allow access to your Health related data - Laps should show up on your desktop Strava.

kcam

Something else because I've allowed access to Health related data from the beginning of when I started doing HR-based training.  'sOK.

CalBears

Something else because I've allowed access to Health related data from the beginning of when I started doing HR-based training.  'sOK.

Then I do not know - maybe try a different watch if you have one - I see Laps menu for all the runners I follow except you Smile

You might also send a question to Strava support - I asked them for help couple of times - they were mostly useful and responded back within 2-3 days.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Longboat-Keep working back into those miles. I can imagine trying to breathe in that would be horrible.

Mark-While you speed is obviously pretty great, if you do go after one of these marathons, how many KM's on weekly basis do you think you will work up to to build the endurance?

Cal-I heard about that test on a podcast a few weeks ago.  It is an interesting idea.  I don't know if I could find the time to really do that long of a block due to spring and fall marathon cycle I tend to do.  It sounds like he encourages a 10 or 12 week block followed by monthly tests until you plateau.

My week 91.98 miles.  Long run felt good and the wednesday workout felt pretty easy.  Today turned into a progression...I always run well in the rain and also generally pick it up just cause the rain gets me driving to get home once i hit the turn around.

M 11-May 10.81 1:14:13 Rolled with MacCoy, went a little quick, but felt great on soft surfaces
                                  4.51 0:31:29 Easy w/ 6 x 100m strides
                              T 12-May 7.71 0:58:43 Grabbed a medalion for the CBCB challenge. Had to cut short due to work call.
                                  3.33 0:23:11 Bit stiff starting out, then got rolling. 6x100m in last mile
                              W 13-May 12.41 1:25:17 8 x 800m in 2:50 w/ 800m recovery (2mi w/u & 2mi c/d) 2:53.5, 2:50.8, 2:50.5, 2:49.7, 2:49.7, 2:49.8, 2:50.0, 2:45.1...all of them felt just normal at a quick pace, the last one I pushed just a little bit but still within control. Feel like I have that 5:40 pace pretty locked in by feel. 2:49.9 average.
                              Th 14-May 11.25 1:21:28 Easy, with short break to give kiddo breakfast in middle of mile 8. 6x100 in last mile
                              F 15-May 11.29 1:20:45 Easy w/ 6 x 100m strides
                              Sa 16-May 18.09 1:58:53 13mi easy, 5mi fast finish @ 6:10-6:15/mi...was going to try to make it 6 at pace at the end, but with running the first 12 at 6:42 average pace, legs started to get a little tight in mile 17 so I used the last mile as a cool down. Felt pretty good. WIth the milage and the quicker "easy" days, I didn't want to hammer the last mile and do something dumb.
                              Su 17-May 12.58 1:29:47 In pretty heavy rain and wind. Got rolling as I usually do in the rain and with the wind at my back the 2nd, I went from 7:48 down to 6:15 pace the last .5 mile. I love running in the rain...my dog, not so much.  skipped 6x100m cause I ran the last few miles pretty quick.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Marky_Mark_17

Cal - yes my average pace has definitely dropped a bit.  I think it's a combination of consistently higher mileage, lots of hills at home, and trying to take easy runs really easy.  Workouts felt mostly good last week so hopefully that means I'm getting the balance right.

DPS - kinda fun hitting workouts in the rain, right?  Nice week as usual.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"