2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dwave: Thanks, interesting as I expected.  Is that SFW or NSFW?

Botticelli, actually.  With some internet additions.

Botulism - on the FB page, there are people advocating for there to be no field limit - the race simply accepts all qualifiers.  Amazing.

Brewing - Cherry Blossom 10 miler, Monument Avenue 10K, and Broad Street 10 miler are all big deal, large races on the east coast that have as much importance to me as Botulism does.  Not all big deal races are marathons. Smile

If you've never done Cherry Blossom, I really recommend doing it some time.  It's a great race.

8.5 "miles" pool-running and yoga this morning.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Botticelli, actually.  With some internet additions.

This deserves the hand-clapping guy, but he didn't make the transition from RWOL.  Also, this DW post is sneaky - it shows up as the latest on the main forum page and then disappears when I actually look at the thread.

pepperjack

pie man

Max - Your race is this weekend in Foresthill?  I might be in Sac for the Footy Grand Final Friday night.  Not completely sure though (also really want to dash to Portland to see the Jesus Lizard, but that doesn’t seem wise).

11:11 3,000 (recent)

Strict WTF adherent

Just logging my week

Mon - weights and 15 mins on the treadclimber thing

Tues - off

Wed - weights and 50 mins bike (barf)

Thurs - off

Fri - weights

Sat - 3.2 very painful miles

Sun - weights

Shutting it down for the rest of the month, then may seek medical attention

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

mcB - Sad

dwave- wow. botulism with no field cap would be absolutely horrific. it is so crowded the first several miles as is

max- i was getting disappearing-post errors recently, too.

dwave praised my 400 splits from yesterday's track workout (on strava)! i am verklempt - less frequent praise feels more meaningful Smile

coach came to our workout yesterday morning. just 3 of us and 1 of him. the attention and feedback and explanations of things were sooooo so nice. the coach I ran with in NY (around 2011-13) used to run by my side in workouts and give real-time feedback/motivation, but other than that, i've never felt like my running was so important to someone other than me. it's a good feeling!

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

PJ: The weirdo race is not until mid-Oct.

Jim's Kat: Itry to run with the people I coach every once in a while, if possible - it's interesting to hear your athlete perspective on that.

mattw4jc

I can imagine having a coach in your ear for the run would be motivating. But I can also see how that could be difficult for a coach if his/her athletes are different paces.

We've had some cooler mornings here in Charlotte area this week. It has been quite nice. My morning run is usually about an hour or right at 7 miles. I got out a few minutes earlier and fit in a little over 8 today. I'm kinda ramping up the mileage some last week and this week. From 35-40 to upper 40s, maybe 50.

I understand a lot of people are waiting to find out if More Than A Feeling will let them in or not. Today could be the day.

Running Problem

Problem Child

If you've never done Cherry Blossom, I really recommend doing it some time.  It's a great race.

8.5 "miles" pool-running and yoga this morning.

It is on my birthday this year. I think I'd need a "cost per mile" equation to figure out how expensive each mile would cost me for celebrating not being in Masters division yet.

matt I can get about 7 in. I had the same "If I get out early" mornings this summer when I was doing doubles for a short period. Getting my run started at 3:50 vs 4:10 made it so much easier to add the extra mile. Oh and I FINALLY got ahead of the pace bunny and I've been able to stay ahead. 2018 better watch out!

rlk Interesting perspective about coaching. I wouldn't expect a coach to run along side me unless it was a 1-on-1 or we were all a group pacing the same run together like you had. Glad you got good feedback from him and dw.

max I just got asked if I've ever ridden a horse. Apparently there are events similar to your 400m relay in Canada. The world championship gives out belt buckles and qualifies as an ultramarathon technically. I'm slightly concerned with on course nutrition.

Race packet arrived. I have a bib number. I can't remember it and no one would be able to find it to stalk me if I posted it here. Feel free to share my personal information if I forget, or don't, since I know some here will be doing morning runs, or work, on Sunday. I'll feel like I'm on TV. Since Chicago charges $125 for spectator seating at the finish line I'll have my phone on me (feel free to text encouraging, or discouraging, words) so I can reconnect with NeRP, DW and MIL at the end. This entire race is a new perspective on how marathons are organized in major cities. Nothing bad just different from the two events I've participated in previously which were very open to the public. I think I'm going to aim for 3:05 (am I now doomed for saying it) if the weather participates. I don't have a plan other than "go for it" if the weather doesn't participate.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think I'm going to aim for 3:05 (am I now doomed for saying it) if the weather participates. I don't have a plan other than "go for it" if the weather doesn't participate.

Good luck! The 2Q plan will prepare you more than any other has to negative split the race. I curse at the old bastard all the time during my training, but I was thanking him during the last 3 miles of my race last year when I kept saying "this is just like a tempo at the end of a long run, you've got this."

Sorry to this forum for just jumping in here randomly, but I have to support my fellow 2Q runners!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Good luck! The 2Q plan will prepare you more than any other has to negative split the race. I curse at the old bastard all the time during my training, but I was thanking him during the last 3 miles of my race last year when I kept saying "this is just like a tempo at the end of a long run, you've got this."

Sorry to this forum for just jumping in here randomly, but I have to support my fellow 2Q runners!

Thanks for the positive support. I can remember a lot of training where I didn't understand the "why" and thought I bit off more than I could chew. 3:05 would PR the full AND half in the same race. Half PR is kind of old. I care more about the FM PR for obvious reasons (April brunch with my less than imaginary friends) other than the PR. Tonight's 1T 2M 1T 2M should be "fun" just like the 8M 2T was "fun" and motivating/supporting/reassuring what is possible. 3:07 and 3:05 are just a few seconds apart...per mile. Heck, I'd probably rather have a guarantee for April 2020 than a sub 3.

It's okay for you to pop in. Just don't let too many of those fast guys in here or else they'll find out our secret (we're sand baggers) method to training and racing...maybe it's just me though.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Hi folks! Long long ago, (2008-09) I posted in this thread on RWOL and I’m very glad to see it’s still around. If you don’t mind I’d like t come back to bring some more accountability to my training cycle. I’m doing a Pfitz 18/70 for Houston in January and just finished the first week. I live in Houston and this will be my third straight full here. It will be my 9th marathon overall.

Last year I ran a 3:05:18 which as a 35 year old male qualified me for Boston by 4:42 (currently nervously awaiting to see if I can run my first Boston in April). Last year was a PR by over 23 minutes and I’d like to get another PR but it will be much more modest this year. Hopefully I can get a 3:03 or 3:04 and remove any doubt about Boston qualification.

Ran a 12 miler at a 7:57 pace this morning complete with a massive downpour and ankle high water in the streets. Kinda refreshing.

PRs: 5k 19:29 (4/14); 10k 38:40 (12/17); HM 1:36:17 (2/14); FM 3:05:18 (1/18)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hello, all! Quick check in for me - I've missed a bunch and likely won't be responding to much of it.

A couple weeks ago my grandmother had a stroke and went into a coma, and I spent the next week with her, my grandfather, and other family until she passed last Tuesday. As tough as it was losing her, watching the effect on my grandfather was (and is) worse. Running did help - my daily routine basically became run > take DD1 to school > stay with family.

Anywho, looking forward to taking a bit of a down week next week since his will be my 3rd 80+ mile week in a row. I have a HM weekend after next (the day before Brew gets a massive PR!), and I plan on cutting down overall mileage for that week and front-loading what miles I do get in order to get a mini-taper out of it.

Oh, and fall is officially here now. I'm going to be ticked if all my heat acclimation is gone before I can use any in a race!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

justin welcome. If you don't get in with your time I'm scared. The qualifications to get IN are getting harder and harder for the young (and older) runners. Is Houston a flat course or is it just popular because Houston in January doesn't suck? Asking because it came to mind during training of a "what if" but I think it's cost prohibitive and probably closes really soon for registration.

keen I'm sure your heat acclimation will stick around unless you stay with those early morning runs. I had the same thought so I tried to avoid the 50-60F temps on the weekends to keep what I had going. Even if the mornings were more humid and less windy. Third 80 mile week....are you training for some kind of road ultra?!?! Sorry about grandpa. Mine died shortly before CIM and my only comment was I'd be pretty much unavailable until Sunday afternoon. I kind of put all emotions aside that day, but when a friend died I was about 1/4 mile from home and knew the emotions were coming. I might have been glad it was dark that morning and took a detour on the walk home. Is there seriously a hill climb at the end of your race?

VDOT 53.37 

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Brew: Good luck in your race.

Justin: Welcome!

Keen:  I'm sorry for you and your grandfather.  I can imagine what it's like for him.  Still sad about our golden - I had a dream last night that I got out of bed and she was standing there.  I was so happy to see her.

DW and I are in Leavenworth WA tonight.  Sampled beers at one brewery tonight, will try the other one tomorrow after an Enchantments Traverse.

Arvind Balaraman

heartfelt condolences Keen

Hello, all! Quick check in for me - I've missed a bunch and likely won't be responding to much of it.

A couple weeks ago my grandmother had a stroke and went into a coma, and I spent the next week with her, my grandfather, and other family until she passed last Tuesday. As tough as it was losing her, watching the effect on my grandfather was (and is) worse. Running did help - my daily routine basically became run > take DD1 to school > stay with family.

Anywho, looking forward to taking a bit of a down week next week since his will be my 3rd 80+ mile week in a row. I have a HM weekend after next (the day before Brew gets a massive PR!), and I plan on cutting down overall mileage for that week and front-loading what miles I do get in order to get a mini-taper out of it.

Oh, and fall is officially here now. I'm going to be ticked if all my heat acclimation is gone before I can use any in a race!