The Stick (Read 900 times)

I'm wondering if any of you know where I can get a good deal on The Stick. I'd really like to have one so I don't have to try to travel with my foam roller. I've checked the manufacurere site and they are selling the marathon stick for 29.95 but if I can get an even better deal on it, that would be nice (sometimes it's tough being a college student).
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    CherryDG

That seems to be about what I paid at a local running store. Road Runner Sports has a "travel" version of the stick for $24.99 (http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/HSP001/), but I'm guessing that with shipping it'll cost a few extra bucks. The travel stick is 17" while the regular size one which is 24" long.
        http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-STMARA.html Runningwarehouse.com has free shipping and they ship it within 2 days. I placed an order for some socks late this afternoon and they have already shipped it out 2 days UPS. They also free returns. Very good deal I think.
        C-R

I have the Stick and think it's great. Recently one of my 7 year old boys decided to use it for batting practice and placed it in a spot I never thought to look. Thankfully the dog found it (that's a whole 'nother story). Shocked Anyway, in the absence of my Stick, I had a local running partner recommend using an old fashioned rolling pin as a replacement. Yes a $3 rolling pin from WalMart. Worked great for me. Prehaps this will help you too.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

using an old fashioned rolling pin
            I've done this. It works wonders on sore quads. Smile

Michelle

I've done this. It works wonders on sore quads. Smile
              Ditto. I used a rolling pin for several months before I got The Stick.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

A Saucy Wench

Is "the stick" really that much better than a rolling pin? I've always - through my yoga classes - used a plain dowel (wooden closet rod style) and found it to work well. I like the smaller size for some hamstring/calf work (kneel with the dowel between the ham and calf and slowly work it to different spots...yowza!)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Is "the stick" really that much better than a rolling pin? I've always - through my yoga classes - used a plain dowel (wooden closet rod style) and found it to work well. I like the smaller size for some hamstring/calf work (kneel with the dowel between the ham and calf and slowly work it to different spots...yowza!)
                  I think it is. The smaller rollers work alot better, for me, on the calves and shins. Also, with the rolling pin, I couldn't do a decent job on my hamstrings (which was where my major problem was) and usually had to enlist a family member to help. With the stick I can reach everywhere I want to reach, plus The Stick bends a little - making it cover more muscle at once.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I'm wondering if any of you know where I can get a good deal on The Stick. I'd really like to have one so I don't have to try to travel with my foam roller. I've checked the manufacurere site and they are selling the marathon stick for 29.95 but if I can get an even better deal on it, that would be nice (sometimes it's tough being a college student).
                    I bought a Sprinters Stick at Running Planet. I like it because it is short like the travel stick but MUCH firmer, which I think works better for tight calves. This website sells them at a very slight discount, and has reasonable shipping charges ($5 I think), so you end up paying the same as if you walked into a local store and had to pay list price but tax. I've never tried a rolling pin, but I like the way The Stick bends to conform to the curvature of your leg - it feels like your working more of the muscle that way.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...