Race Report: My first race: The Frosty 5K (Read 751 times)

Disney freak

Short version: This was my first 5K. “Frosty 5K” in Frisco, TX.  No so frosty – 51 degrees out. 

Goal: under 40 minutes/under 13 minute average pace
    Results: 40’22”, 12:33 pace.
    However, came to find out that the course was 3.27 miles.
    Actual 5K time: 39’14” (NikePlus told me what my 5K time was)

Splits
    mile 1: 12’45”
    mile 2:  13’05”
    mile 3: 12’05”

Long version: I have been following the Couch to 10K program and ran my first 5K race today.  I ran 3.1 miles without walking for the first time last weekend and on Tuesday.  Both my times were slightly over 40 minutes and 13+ minutes average pace.  So I set my goal for the race of under 40 minutes and less than a 13 minute pace.

The week before, I mapped the run online (to check out the elevation changes) and got 3.25 miles.  I figured I had done something wrong. 

Race morning is overcast, but 51 degrees.  Usually, this time of year in DFW, we are around 30 degrees this time of year in the morning.  So, perfect running weather. There were lots of people dressed up in costumes and holiday attire.  It was a very festive atmosphere. I bought myself a holiday shirt that has martini glasses on it with candy canes in them that says, "Tis the season".

DS9 and DH ran the Merry Mile fun run pushing DD5 in the stroller. They pulled out a 11’30” mile with no training!

The 5K was after that and I started toward the very back since there were over a 1000 people running.  Even though this was a timed race, it was a fun run too with lots of costumes and strollers.

I let everyone take off, which ended up being a mistake.  I should have started further up, in front of all the walkers/strollers.  The walkers were lining up 5, even 10 across.  Left side, right side, there was no rhyme or reason to where people were walking.  After the first ¼ mile, it finally  cleared up and  I was able to get in to a steady pace.  My NikePlus kept telling me I was running  12’10” pace, even with all the walkers in my way, and that was much faster than anything I had trained at. ( 12’30”-13’00” ) So my second mile was slower, and as I got to the end of it, NP was telling me I was edging towards 13 minutes, which  I didn’t want.  So I sped up a little, and ended up doing  12’05” the last mile.

The timing chip has me at a 40’22” time, but NikePlus tells me it was much more than 3.1 miles – it told me 3.27 miles.  On the NP website, it told me my 5K time was 39”14’, so I hit my goal.  I also hit my average pace goal – 12’33”.

All in all, it was a fun day, I had a great time.   Afterwards, they had bananas, mandarin oranges, several types of cereal bars, hot chocolate and water bottles.  The race packet had a nice long sleeved shirt, lots of coupons, a shoe zipper pouch for keys and stuff, and a Del Taco rope bag.

A friend from church, who started running recently, has done 5 5Ks and been encouraging me on Facebook was there.  He persuaded me to sign up for a 10K in 6 weeks.  It has pancakes and a beer garden afterwards.  Sounds good to me!

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
    • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
    • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
    • training for Big D half on 4/14
      congrats you will be addicted now !

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Penguin Forever

awesome job in your race!

Congrats! As I was reading I was already thinking of asking "what's next?" ... a 10k apparently!  Fantastic.

honeybowling

is there a website where they posted results and times for this race???

Anonymous Guest

Congrats! Knew you could do it!

And a 10k with pancakes....that sounds like a definite must do.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Disney freak

is there a website where they posted results and times for this race???

I was told I would get an email with that and the link to buy a finish line picture.  (haven't gotten it yet) Will they have info on the length of the race course there?

Lisa Marie

• upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
                TJN

S Army Kettle run...

Congratulations!!!  ...and your first PR!

Tim 

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Very nice.  Congratulations.  Infinitely faster than those still sitting on the couch!

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Hill Slug

Congrats Lisa Marie and thanks for the race report.    It sounds like you and your family had a great day - even though the course was longer than 5K.     Good to hear you have another race on the horizon, it doesn't look like you will be returning to the couch!

best regards,

Molly Rose

All time PR:  1:20 HM. 2:49 M

2013 goal:  Master's PR HM  Recover from illness/finish the year strong

Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Nice race report! I ran that race last year and my fiancee's dad ran it today. It was freaking cold last year. I remember that James Jackson won it and that there were a lot of turn around cones on the course. You should get several photo proofs from the Jerry Glover website when they are up in a week or so. You probably won't see anything else about the course being long or short. Run On races are usually pretty accurate according to my Garmin. The Hotcake run was a blast last year. Frosty race results are already up http://www.runontexas.com
                        TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congratulations Lisa-Marie!  Well done.

steph  

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Wooo hoo!!!  You're rocking the spits, with the last mile being the best mile.  Congrats on doing your first race.  

Keep on, keepin' on!  

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Disney freak

Nice race report! I ran that race last year and my fiancee's dad ran it today. It was freaking cold last year. I remember that James Jackson won it and that there were a lot of turn around cones on the course. You should get several photo proofs from the Jerry Glover website when they are up in a week or so. You probably won't see anything else about the course being long or short. Run On races are usually pretty accurate according to my Garmin. The Hotcake run was a blast last year. Frosty race results are already up http://www.runontexas.com

Thanks!  I never would have know the race results were there.  I had checked the Frosty 5K site, and saw nothing, so just assumed I would get an email. You were right - it just said the course was 3.1 miles!

Here's my results:

Lisa Marie

Better I Leave

Well done! Smile

You're "hooked" now, aintcha? **grin**