Windows 8 - yes or no? (Read 871 times)

I've been testing Windows 8 for awhile now in work, still not a big fan.

If you have to ask, it doesn't really matter...  

My suggestion would be go with a Mac.  However, if you have a bit of technical savvy about you, then either Linux or the even more reliable and secure BSD, additionally both being faster using less resources.

My brother bought a Mac and he tells me about its' VERY steep learning curve! I think he would have been better off with a PC. I have lots of Apple products but work is still a MS shop so I'd feel better with PC. I saw a nice HP Envy Ultrabook that gives me what feels like the best of both worlds. Haven't decided yet though....

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Purdey

Self anointed title

In a nutshell:  If you will have a touchscreen, Windows 8.  If not, Windows 7, because 8 will just impede you.

This.

Purdey

Self anointed title

If you have to ask, it doesn't really matter...   

Not this.

Just like the damn ribbon interface in office did when it first showed up.  And, honestly, several years later I STILL can't easily find some things in word.  And I'm a writer.

Actually, I have a problem with the ribbon.  But it's mainly because the dinosaur company I work for still uses Office 2003.  So, there's no way to learn unless I pony up for it myself.

Jeff

I just don't think the learning curve is that big a deal. For instance, my wife despises changes in technology. When I upgraded to Windows 8 shortly after its release, I fully expected to catch A LOT of grief.

But nothing. She logs in, jumps to the Desktop environment, and happily works with her same cluttered collections of icons and shortcuts and applications.

Windows key + F is your friend if you can't find something. I don't have any complaints with it.

My brother bought a Mac and he tells me about its' VERY steep learning curve! I think he would have been better off with a PC. I have lots of Apple products but work is still a MS shop so I'd feel better with PC. I saw a nice HP Envy Ultrabook that gives me what feels like the best of both worlds. Haven't decided yet though....

The Mac is ultimately easier and more intuitive.  It's just an adjustment. With MS Office for Apple, it's really very nice. 

Windows was a monopolist for so long that it stopped innovating and fell way behind in quality and reliability (my view).  That is why nobody under 25 uses MS

The Mac is ultimately easier and more intuitive.  It's just an adjustment. With MS Office for Apple, it's really very nice. 

Windows was a monopolist for so long that it stopped innovating and fell way behind in quality and reliability (my view).  That is why nobody under 25 uses MS

That's a pretty short sighted and an unsupported statement.  At least, in this case, you haven't given any statistics.  Now, go ahead and hunt for every single article out there that supports your off the cuff comment.

The bottom line, as I see it is, if you're a MAC user, learning Windows is difficult.  If you're a Windows user, learning MAC is difficult.  One is NOT better than the other.

I use both, and while I have a preference (Windows) it's because that's what I use the most, and use at home.  And for me to switch would be cost prohibitive...I would have to buy all my software AGAIN to switch to MAC.

As for innovation?  Apple does the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over.  Yes, there are improvements, but there is no innovation.  The iPad is nothing more than a large iPod touch.  The Microsoft Zune had wireless long before the iPod touch.  But everyone thought it was great when it happened with the Apple products.  The cell phone, and the smartphone already existed when Apple came out with the iPhone.

I'm not saying that Apple does not turn out good products, even exceptional products, but, I don't see them as innovators. 

And, also, Microsoft and Apple...you can't really compare them, so please don't.  There are no Apple servers, no database servers, etc.  And, try as I did, (I didn't try that hard, honestly), but, does Apple do stuff like this?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/17/inside-microsofts-cauldron-of-ideas-from-kinect-bing-and-killing-the-blue-screen-of-death-to-code-that-can-learn-pixels-you-can-hold-and-drugs-compiled-from-dna/

I think not.  Microsoft is a true research organization.  Apple...not so much.  Or, at least, they don't let everyone know about it.

If there is similar stuff out there that Apple does, please let me know.  I'd be very interested.

And...SORRY....I really didn't want this to evolve into an Apple vs. MSFT thread, but I had to (in my mind) defend MSFT.  But, information is power. 

But when statements are made like "Windows was a monopolist for so long that it stopped innovating"...I feel the need to comment.

I don't think they can be compared. 

Jeff

Loves the outdoors

I read this review on usability and it put me off upgrading to WIndows 8. I did try playing with it the other day myself and found it annoying on a desktop. I quite like the Windows 7 on my current PC, so until my PC dies I'm sticking with it.

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

xor

>> Microsoft is a true research organization.

Well, they/we (I still have the chip embedded in my brain) certainly HAVE a research organization.

bhearn

And...SORRY....I really didn't want this to evolve into an Apple vs. MSFT thread, but I had to (in my mind) defend MSFT.  But, information is power. 

Well, this is all pretty funny, but... nah, I don't think I'll say any more.

Except, what is a MAC?

Well, they/we (I still have the chip embedded in my brain) certainly HAVE a research organization.

Look.  I get it.  Some people don't like Windows.  And that's their right, etc.  Misguided as it is (in my opinion).

I just get "ruffled" when people mindlessly trash something with no real facts.  And also mindlessly follow something/someone with no real facts, or, when presented with real information, it gets dismissed.  Not that the person I commented too did that.  (gotta stay politically correct here)

By the way, awesome that you used to work for the evil empire.  Aside from the nearest office to me being too far away (Malvern, PA), I don't think they would have me anyway.  I'm not smart enough.  But I do go out there for the free seminars they have every chance I get. 

Jeff

Well, this is all pretty funny, but... nah, I don't think I'll say any more.

Go for it!  :-)

Jeff

henryc

What happens when the chip blue screens?

xor

An angel gets his wings.