Try #2 for running advice or should I just go back to letsrun (Read 219 times)

So a few years ago I was getting back into running and I got heavily criticized by people on this site.  I went from a sub 15:00 5k runner to couch potato.  Then over 3 years I got back to running 14:28 for 5k, 51:47 for 10 miles.  8 years and 3 kids later I am out of shape again and trying to get back into it.  Daily runs used to average 6:20 pace for ~70 mpw, now 7:30 for 20 mpw.

I am now 37 years old and want to get into sub 54 shape for a 10 mile race.  Also 20 lbs heavier.  I am hoping that some other people have had some success getting back into good shape in their late 30s.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/98d5d2cd44c84ad7ac349a8e4463a567

Am I trolling?  Probably, it is easy to find old threads because there are not very many.  But I am seriously trying to get back into shape.  Does anyone else have stories about how they have gone from fat (relative) to fit?

Well, you know how a guy gets back into shape in his late 20s (you even still have your RA log from back then)...getting back into shape in your late 30s is pretty much the same, but maybe slightly slower and with a little bit more recovery.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      HermosaBoy

At this point I think you should just focus on consistency.

Decide how many days a week you want to run (how many days you plan to take off).  Based on that, just try to put X marks on your calendar for days that you ran.  You don't need anything fancy -- just build up your base again (you have done it before, you can do it again).

You should have a longish run and maybe a day of a little speed play (nothing overly structured).  Other than that -- just run easy.  Of course the easy may be a bit easier now than in the past.  Just accept that for now, your fitness will come back faster than you think.

Just by $0.02 -- take it for what it is worth.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Crazy Justin

Come back slowly.  If you're at 20 MPW now, shoot for 25 then 30 and so on.  The paces will come back.  Don't rush it or you'll likely get injured.

Mile: 5:18,   5K: 19:09,  10K: 39:44,  Half: 1:28:12,  Full: 3:21:56

Post-35 PRs:

Mile: 6:02,  5K: 21:14, 10K: 45:40, Half: 1:42:24

http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com

www.crazyj208.blogspot.com

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Please start this over at LRC. I would love to see the responses.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

There is no substitute for mileage.

Drastic changes to diet can help with weight and health, but few people can stick to a drastic change; best to slowly ease into it. But mileage is the undisputed factor to being a better (faster) runner. At your age, you should work up to 70+ miles a week. Pace is not a factor at this point, go ahead and run 10-12 min pace, but get in the miles. Also ease up to it, doing something like adding only 5 miles a week, and the following week go back down to 20, then add 10, go back to 25, add 5, go back to 30, etc. for a couple months. Once you hit 50 mpw you can add 10mpw on the long weeks. Just an example, there are lots of "plans" and opinions.

Finding time to put in the miles becomes the biggest problem.

Also, you're not too old to be "fast". I knew a guy who didn't START running until he was in his mid 30's, and he ran a 2:18 marathon and qualified for the trials just a couple years after starting. didn't make any noise after about 3-4 years of running/racing, so I assume he got injured.

Here's BIG shortcut to getting back into shape: don't waste time on shortcuts. Mileage is the most important thing.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Please start this over at LRC. I would love to see the responses.

Don’t be so cruel. 

OP - You’ve obviously got running talent and you would probably benefit from using an experienced local coach and working on a one to one level.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

So a few years ago I was getting back into running and I got heavily criticized by people on this site.  I went from a sub 15:00 5k runner to couch potato.  Then over 3 years I got back to running 14:28 for 5k, 51:47 for 10 miles.  8 years and 3 kids later I am out of shape again and trying to get back into it.  Daily runs used to average 6:20 pace for ~70 mpw, now 7:30 for 20 mpw.

I am now 37 years old and want to get into sub 54 shape for a 10 mile race.  Also 20 lbs heavier.  I am hoping that some other people have had some success getting back into good shape in their late 30s.

https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/98d5d2cd44c84ad7ac349a8e4463a567

Am I trolling?  Probably, it is easy to find old threads because there are not very many.  But I am seriously trying to get back into shape.  Does anyone else have stories about how they have gone from fat (relative) to fit?

So maybe their criticism was warranted.  Running a sub-15 5k within six weeks off less than a mile a day average seems like a tall order.

Plenty of people have had success getting back into shape.  The general principles behind getting into shape don't change much as you get older.  Some specifics might.  But, as Kevin mentioned, you do what you did before by working up to it over time.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

DoppleBock

My most difficult hurdle is to find the desire / discipline to train consistently 6-7 days a week.  At 37 you are still youngish, but might have to adjust workouts or at least how you recover between workouts.

I think you start at beginning

Base Building

1st getting your efficiency, stamina and lactic acid threshold to improve ... 4-8 weeks of weekly

* Drills

* Leg Speed ~ 10x 1 minute fast but good form with 1-2 minute easy to recover

* 20 minutes at LAT (Lactic acid Threshold)

* One longer run (<= 2 hours)

**  You could continue this longer ~ You may want to continue until your 10 x 1 minute becomes 12x400 meters at a speed you are shooting for.

Training

Do what you do - I personally like

* Turn 20 @ T into 5x1 MIle (3 weeks) and then 4x1.5 Miles (3 Weeks) and then 4 x 2  miles (3 weeks) and then 3x3 miles and then 2x4 miles (3 weeks)

*  Turn 10x1 minute into longer without reducing speed much until I am up to 5x5 minutes

*  Longer runs turn into longer tempos

But that was between 36-42 ... now at 48 I just base train and then fall off the training wagon or hobby jog

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Mr MattM

Good luck with that.  The older you get, the harder it is to try and get back to where you were when you were younger.  At some point, it becomes (virtually) impossible.

be curious; not judgmental

#artbydmcbride

At least at letsrun, no one will criticize you!   

Runners run

hog4life

Good luck with that.  The older you get, the harder it is to try and get back to where you were when you were younger.  At some point, it becomes (virtually) impossible.

This is about what I would say. Getting old sucks and requires more recovery time, and makes it hard at getting faster.

C-R

Lots of solid advice especially about base building and recovery.

I would add a couple of items if you're in for the long haul. Add some non running fitness for balance. When I do this it helps me. I'm not a big gym person but things like P90x and the like help me keep moving and I can find 30 minutes. Other item is playing off the coach suggestion - find a running club/group. They will help keep you motivated and offer a challenge. Our club has a couple of coaches that run with us and offer some sound advice.

Good luck and yeah - post this at letsrun. It could be an epic thread.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kilkee

runktrun

Lots of solid advice especially about base building and recovery.

I would add a couple of items if you're in for the long haul. Add some non running fitness for balance. When I do this it helps me. I'm not a big gym person but things like P90x and the like help me keep moving and I can find 30 minutes. Other item is playing off the coach suggestion - find a running club/group. They will help keep you motivated and offer a challenge. Our club has a couple of coaches that run with us and offer some sound advice.

Good luck and yeah - post this at letsrun. It could be an epic thread.

I recommend not just x-training, but lifting regularly, and lifting heavy with a focus on glutes and core stability.  It will help your body keep its shit together as you start running longer and faster and mitigate form breakdown when you get fatigues.  Also, glutes are powerhouse; a lot of runners are quad dominant, and as you start back up, you may fall into a pattern of overusing your quads and hammies, leading to dreaded high hammy strains that seem to plague a lot of not-young runners.

I'll be looking for this on LR.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.