First 10-Mile Run (Read 1018 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Perfect running conditions today - 44 degrees when I started and 51 when I finished. Thank goodness I wore shorts and short sleeves. I mapped out a course ahead of time, and it went great! The water fountain I had spotted at the halfway point didn't work, but I stayed hydrated OK. My legs felt light and happy until about 8 miles, and then it got harder. The entire time, I kept track of my pace on my Garmin. That really helped, because I kept going too fast! The last mile was REALLY hard, and I felt like I was running through mud. Seeing the hundredths of a mile click by on the Garmin saved me, plus thinking about logging my run and bragging on RA! I finished in 1:54:18, for an average pace of 11:23 mpm. When I downloaded my data, it turns out that my last mile was the fastest by a few seconds - bizarre! Considering where I started in October 2006 (couch), I am very happy! Just another 3.1 miles until I'm at HM distance, and my HM isn't until September 21. Whoo hoo! Teresa

The Greatest of All Time

AWESOME!!!!! I am so happy for you Teresa. Getting over that 10 mile hump is a big deal. It's all downhill from here. Well done. Congratulations!
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

Lazy idiot

Sweet!!! I think that if I include my HM last fall, I've only done three runs of 10+ miles. It is a huge accomplishment. Next thing you know 10 miles will be nothing. Big grin

Tick tock

That's great! You'll be more than ready for that HM. Yes

Michelle

Another Passion

Congratulations Teresa! That is an awesome accomplishment and milestone! Onward... Wink

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

C-R

Way to go T!!! Big grin Next stop the HM express and all points past 13.1. Keep up the hard work - it's worth it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Giants Fan

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is a big step in mileage. Ten is what starts you thinking about 26.2.... You are going to be just fine for your half in September, keep up the good work! Next time you are running that last mile and it seems difficult just tell yourself..."Keep running, if you feel like crap run faster. You won't feel any better but at least you'll be done sooner!" Unknown

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

WOOHOO! Congratulations!!!
                  Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

AWESOME!!!!! I am so happy for you Teresa. Getting over that 10 mile hump is a big deal. It's all downhill from here. Well done. Congratulations!
                    Yep...once you start doing double-digit miles it seems so much easier to keep increasing the long run distance. I know it's mostly a mental thing, but it's true. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

allout88

Very good job. There is always a huge sense of accomplishment in increasing your long run and hitting a new best for distance. I really can't agree with everyone in saying that once you make double digits that it is all down hill or that it is some how going to be easier.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks, guys! I guess I will find out if it gets any easier after 10! I'm going to drop back a little next week, and then try for 10 again the following week. What fun! Smile
                        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

That is awesome! Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

You are doing awesome Teresa. You're my hero Big grin I noticed you're up in one of the first places on the 1000 KM group too. Way to go!
                            Ginny 'Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there' Will Rogers
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

You are doing awesome Teresa. You're my hero Big grin I noticed you're up in one of the first places on the 1000 KM group too. Way to go!
                              Oh, thank you, Kerry! When I joined the group in January, I really didn't know if I would be able to run that much in one year. It's amazing what you can do, one day at a time!
                                Congrats, Teresa ! That first double digit run really is special Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group