Motivation - where does it go when it goes where it goes? (Read 574 times)

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

The last half of last year I was going gangbusters - I had built up to 20 mile weeks, was averaging 9-9:15 min. miles and I was itching to go out the door and run every day. I had to force myself to take days off. But January has been a disgrace. I've only run about 41 miles total this month. I feel like I have no energy at all, and I seem exhausted all the time...BUT I know I'm not sick or anything because when I make myself gear up and hit the road, I'm fine. I'm so frustrated with myself. I have my first half marathon coming up mid-May and I've set a goal time of sub 50:00 at my next 10K in April. I wasn't worried about either one of those goals, but if I can't get my act together, I need to be worrying. What is wrong with me? Does this happen to anyone else? If it does, how do you get through it? Will it pass if I just keep forcing myself out the door? I want running to go back to being what I love, not something I have to make myself do. Thanks for listening to a big old whiny baby.
      Thanks for listening to a big old whiny baby.
      You're in the right spot for "whining"...I wouldn't call it whining though; we've all been there and everybody on this forum understands...Thank goodness for that, 'cause so many people DON'T... Sad
      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
        throwing out ideas: sleep? getting enough? stress? getting too much? working out with groups really helps keep me consistent. although i go through funks too. ran a disappointing marathon a few weeks ago, and i've gone from 80 mile weeks to 20...uggg. sounds like you've got goals though... that's good. work out a schedule to get there, and stick to it! best wishes!
        chrimbler

Try taking a week off, or maybe 2 weeks
          Run like you stole it!
            Maybe instead of focusing on pace and race you need to just lace up and run for the fun of it. Sometimes the focusing on the improvement can suck the pleasure out of it. Leave your watch or Garmin at home, try a new route, and just enjoy being outside. Just a thought. Smile

Another Passion

Try taking a week off, or maybe 2 weeks
              Just wanted to say that is a really cool avatar picture, Chris. Sorry for the minor threadjack, horsemom. Motivation comes and goes. I haven't been thrilled about running in the cold and the snow and the dreary days, but we all get our motivation mojo back at some point. Hang in there! Wink

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

For me, taking time off the sexy motivation Wink back. I plan to take off a week or two, then within 4 or 5 days I'm itching to get out there again. With your first HM in May, you have plenty of time to take off a few days. Sometimes we need a mental break as well as/ instead of a physical break.
                2009: BQ?
                  Been there but I made myself run at least a little... also like other said... sleep... etc.... Also vitamin D... you could be suffering from the winter blues a bit... up the vitamin D... I swear by cod liver oil but there are other ways to get some vitamin D
                    I've been lacking this whole week so here's what works for me. First I have to tell you that I have this inate bomb of guilt inside me that rears its ugly head quite frequently. What gets me motivated to get out the door is that I won't feel guilty about not running. Plus whenever I run, I feel better about myself in general thansk to the endorphins so it's a win-win situation.
                    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09

RIP, Henry, my soul mate

Thanks, everyone for the encouragement. I just finished 7 miles, so something y'all said definitely worked. Maybe it was just knowing it happens to everyone and I'm not a lazy slug that helped.